Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the Bronco Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:09 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emergency replacement of the tailgate glass with some 1/8" plywood Sunday morning.

My fault, my daughter asked me Saturday night how to lower the tailgate and I just told her roughly how instead of doing it my self.

Big mistake.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:28 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just picked up an AGM Energizer battery from Samʻs Club to replace an old yellow top.

Iʻll see how it works out and let you all know.

The 155.00 battery was 20.00 cheaper than a yellow top. Weʻll see.........

Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by peganit2
Emergency replacement of the tailgate glass with some 1/8" plywood Sunday morning.

My fault, my daughter asked me Saturday night how to lower the tailgate and I just told her roughly how instead of doing it my self.

Big mistake.
But there is only THE WAY, what did she do?.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 132 Likes on 126 Posts
Need to chase down an electrical issue on mine. I noticed the passenger side brake light was not coming on when I armed the alarm, so I replaced the bulb, and now I have no tail light, but do have brake light. Interesting. Also, noticed the backup light on that side is not working. Should be interesting.

Jim

Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I finally had to go out and get a battery I parked it Friday night around 6pm and when I went to start it up for class today at 9am it was dead. Just a clicky clicky when I tried to start it. So I put my battery booster/starter thing-a-ma-bob I got from O'Reiley's and nothing but the clicky clicky. My neighbor came out with this 7.3L monster of a F250 and while it tried to turn over it just wouldn't

So I pulled the battery and noticed the tray was nasty. Started to clean it up and realized that to do it right would take more time then I had. The two "speed nuts" that are used with the bolts to hold the tray to the bracket busted. Went to 3 stores and Ford but nobody had any that fit. Got lucky at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) where I stopped on a whim on my way home

So the battery tray needs a good cleaning up but with a new battery she fires right up now This summer assuming I have the funds I'll be cleaning up the battery tray properly and replacing the ground cable and the positive terminal clamp.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:03 PM
peganit2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Encho
But there is only THE WAY, what did she do?.
You're not familiar with the rust belt torsion bar problem?

I'm guessing it was on the wrong side of the window, the outside, when she rolled the window down. She probably also rolled it down more than I would have.(Main issue, I think)

When she opened it, it put a LOT of pressure on the window, and it broke.

Or it could have been snow buildup inside the rusty tailgate. Her and mom did say it got crooked going down. That had never happened before.

Anyway, believe me, I didn't hold her responsible for it, and I told her so.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:44 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I think a large majority of the bronco community has experience with the torsion bar. I know Encho has. I removed mine out of my 78 before anything happened. It used to pop when I'd lower the gate. The gate certainly becomes heavier but it's worth it in the end.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I've got a new radiator, water pump and thermostat sitting in my basement. I've noticed my truck has been running a bit warmer than normal so I think I may send this one over to my mechanic to do.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:24 PM
SteelSteeds
Junior User
I've heard of people having problems with them, but I never have. Even when my old tailgate rusted out at the bottom, the bar never did anything it wasn't designed to.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:51 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SteelSteeds
I've heard of people having problems with them, but I never have. Even when my old tailgate rusted out at the bottom, the bar never did anything it wasn't designed to.
There is a bracket on the inside skin of the tailgate towards the bottom that is prone to rusting out. When/if it does, the bar applies a lot of pressure to it and eventually it rips out of the bracket smacking into the window and shattering it. Mine wasn't real rusted but I removed it as a precaution. I don't think 78 rear windows are too easy to come by.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Replaced the alternator yesterday. Bought a new belt but upon further inspection the belt on there was in great shape (I forgot that it was replaced a month or so before I bought it ).

Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer
Replaced the alternator yesterday. Bought a new belt but upon further inspection the belt on there was in great shape (I forgot that it was replaced a month or so before I bought it ).
Oh I'll take yours then! I just trashed mine because it was riding on the lip of my crank seal for a while... Luckily I keep my old ones as spares in my truck.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Oh I'll take yours then! I just trashed mine because it was riding on the lip of my crank seal for a while... Luckily I keep my old ones as spares in my truck.
Had to return it, I really didn't have the money for the alt, so anything back is a good thing

Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
It's just me!
Ordered my birthday present today, Yukon Zip locker for the new rear axle, 10.25 from a '92 F250. Axle is supposed to have some 4:11 gears already. Will know for certain when I open it up for the surgery! Maybbe next year will add one to the front diff as well. Budget is looking like I pull the engine and put new bearings if needed and a new oil pump. I would like to throw a 5.8 in it but don't have enough cash to go through it first. Might get lucky in the future and buy a 7.5 EFI to stuff in it instead.g

Old 02-23-2014, 11:17 PM
FourXFord2
Elder User
I wanted to start a build thread, digital camera nonfunctioning.
Any how started teardown of the 10.25 axle tonight. Then went online to Randy's Ring & Pinion and ordered the master rebuild kit because my carrier bearings were showing signs of wear. Might as well do this right the first time! got the carrier removed, housing cleaned. Now have to wait for the bearings. Going to remove the ppinion and press off the bearings tomorrow after work.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the Bronco Today?