6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

This is prolly a 1 page thread at most

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Like Paw I went Air Force Reserve in 1970. Actually had to sign up in April 1968 because they had a 18-20 month waiting list to get in, So as soon as I was 16, Signed up and went to basic 6 weeks after I graduated High School. Spent 8 years. The first year in Computer Operation and the last 7 in Command Post/Operation talking to pilots. I started out with C-124 Cargo planes, But we quickly transitioned over to F-105s and just before I got out over to F-16s.

Roy, I'm glad to hear I'm not breaking any rules with 9:am naps
Same with the Guard...I was in college in 1967 and applied to get in during the summer of that year. Took me about a year and a half before getting accepted. Left for Lackland in Feb. '69. I was in the Civil Engineering Flight. Stayed in 6 yrs until January '75. We rode the C-124's a few times going on our 2 week summer camp. Old Shaky Globemaster!! I left college and job as a substitute high school teacher to serve my 6 months training. Never finished college but did land a few good jobs.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Thanks Tim and Monty and also Admiral Roy!!! Without our vets this country would be in shambles. Maybe goose stepping while drinking Saki.....

Old 11-12-2018, 08:04 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
C-124 Globemaster...these planes were scary on takeoff. Felt like you were going to fall from the sky. Great for sightseeing because they flew so low!!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
My dad was a pilot and had around 10,000 hours, most in the C-124 During the late 60's he would leave Hill AFB every other Thursday and take a load over to Hickam AFB in Hawaii, Would return on Sunday afternoon.
Every 5-6 months, He would go all the way to Japan with his load. He had lots of stories of throwing stuff out the back door over the Pacific as engines died and they tried to stay airborne. He did get into the F-105 for a year before he retired.
I was the envy of the neighborhood, Because dad brought fresh pineapples and macadamia nuts home every other week from Hawaii and trips to Japan often meant new Honda motorcycles. I can still remember the Air Traffic officer calling and saying
' Col Tanner has requested that you meet him at the hanger with his pick up at 13:00 hours" We knew if he wanted to be picked up in the Pick up he had a load of Japanese goods coming in Tariff free.

My trips across the Pacific were in the back of C-141 in jump seats down the side and usually jet engine strapped in the middle.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
We flew one year from NAS New Orleans to Hickam AFB. Took two days and stopped at Travis AFB coming and going. The C-121's were nice for the prop age but too slow for me!!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Louisiana Air Guard F-15 Eagle...159th Fighter Wing taken over Idaho.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,564 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Great reading you guys! Thanks for sharing your stories.

When I got home from work Maria told me the Outlander starting leaking gas again. I'm thinking that the float is bad. When I took it apart the first time I did not find any debris in the carb and I carefully removed the needle and did not find anything there either. I checked the float level and made a small adjustment. I put the carburetor back together on the work bench, attached a hose and filled it with gas, no leak. I even put a little extra pressure on it with a syringe full of gas. It did not leak yesterday afternoon or this morning, but she said this afternoon it started leaking again.

Here is my thought on the float. I had ran the it out of gas before working on it and once I had the carburetor off and apart I helped Maria do some other chores maybe an hour or hour and a half later I got back to work on it. The Float is plastic and I did not see or feel any gas in it. it did feel a little heavy but other then that seemed fine. I'm wondering if in the hour and half that it set it may have dried out a little. Just a thought!

Old 11-13-2018, 12:18 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,693 Likes on 2,750 Posts
I'm back from hunting. No elk. What a jacked up hunting season. The guy that heads up our hunt decided to do 3rd Rifle instead of 2nd Rifle like we normally do. He didn't read the fine print (and neither did anyone else) that said that Unit 6 was not a combined season. 2nd Rifle in Unit "6" is actually made up of 4 other units. A Unit 6 tag lets you hunt in any of those units. Not in 3rd Rifle. So I had a Unit 6 tag but we actually camped in Unit 161. Two of us had cow tags that were Unit 6. The other three guys had cow tags for Unit 6 but also had Over The Counter Bull tags for either unit. The two of us had to drive 40 minutes (each way) the first 5 days of the hunt to get to where we could hunt. That sucked. Fortunately, I had hunted Unit 6 before so knew a few places to go. Not that it did any good.

Then there was the snow. It snowed the first 6 days. We got at least 10" of snow. One of the guys buried one side of this Jeep Grand Cherokee in a ditch and had to be pulled out. We had to get snow chains sent up from town. I already had one set of chains for the F-350 that fit but needed a second set for the drive axle that were more heavy duty. They didn't quite fit but after two hours we made them work by airing down the tires and finding a bigger lever. I had a single set of chains for the trailer that were supposed to fit but didn't (way too small). So I had two new sets brought up from town that did fit. I had all eight tires chained up to get down the mountain. Snow packed at the top, icy in the middle and muddy at the bottom. If it wasn't for the chains the trailer would have been on the mountain until spring. The mud was probably the worst.

Temperature on the mountain got below zero Wednesday and that's when my water system decided it was too damn cold and froze up. I ran my generator more on this trip that any other trip.

A mouse invaded the trailer. We saw him but never caught him. I'll be setting out traps this week just in case. The F-350 now has a check engine light that I've been told is emissions related due to the cold. Wonderful.

Here's a picture for Roy. I believe he's the one that has used some creative cribbing in the past.

And finally, thank you to all you veterans!

Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Jim,
That White Gold looks good in that white snow..

I always get nervous about leaving rigs on the mountain till spring thaw. We get much snow and I want off the mountain.
After this falls cattle drive and everybody else using chains to get up the mountain. I'm thinking I need to invest in a set that fits.

But heh, Even a bad day hunting is better than most days spent at work.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:30 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Tim,

not sure it is applicable, but some floats fail by absorbing fuel and as a result do not float at the height they should float. I would replace the float if you can buy one.

Originally Posted by Tim Young
Great reading you guys! Thanks for sharing your stories.

When I got home from work Maria told me the Outlander starting leaking gas again. I'm thinking that the float is bad. When I took it apart the first time I did not find any debris in the carb and I carefully removed the needle and did not find anything there either. I checked the float level and made a small adjustment. I put the carburetor back together on the work bench, attached a hose and filled it with gas, no leak. I even put a little extra pressure on it with a syringe full of gas. It did not leak yesterday afternoon or this morning, but she said this afternoon it started leaking again.

Here is my thought on the float. I had ran the it out of gas before working on it and once I had the carburetor off and apart I helped Maria do some other chores maybe an hour or hour and a half later I got back to work on it. The Float is plastic and I did not see or feel any gas in it. it did feel a little heavy but other then that seemed fine. I'm wondering if in the hour and half that it set it may have dried out a little. Just a thought!

Old 11-13-2018, 06:35 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
Good morning guys!
Great reads and airplane ****!

Jim, memories were made! Not good memories, but memories. It sucks when a trip goes south on you. It's so hard to organize the people and get the time, I'm sorry the trip didn't go as you had anticipated. Not having any animals certainly didn't help either!

Old 11-13-2018, 06:37 AM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Good morning guys

Raining since yesterday morning ahead of an approaching cold front..yes cold front!! Already in the low 50's and dropping into the 40's with rain...nasty day so I'll catch up on some paperwork and housework since the wife still works.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,998 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Like Paw I went Air Force Reserve in 1970. Actually had to sign up in April 1968 because they had a 18-20 month waiting list to get in, So as soon as I was 16, Signed up and went to basic 6 weeks after I graduated High School. Spent 8 years. The first year in Computer Operation and the last 7 in Command Post/Operation talking to pilots. I started out with C-124 Cargo planes, But we quickly transitioned over to F-105s and just before I got out over to F-16s.

Roy, I'm glad to hear I'm not breaking any rules with 9:am naps
Naps are legal any time except when we are driving.........

Old 11-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Tim Young
Put my tractor to use in an of way this weekend. My outlander developed fuel leak probably had something stuck in the needle seat. Had to take the carburetor off I did it just the float a little bit while I had it off.

Attachment 262495

Sorry Tim...... I can't figure out all that you meant to say....... ???

Old 11-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Great posts guys....... Thanks for the pictures and stories......

Shortly after the Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) was commissioned.....1986 we were in the Atlantic for some testing.... Shock testing..... The engineers / Navy wanted to prove that these new Aircraft Carriers could withstand a 10,000 Ton blast from a tactical Nuc warhead........ That 97,000 Ton ship damn near jumped outa the water...... But, No damage and the Nuc Reactors remained online........

Quick Reply: This is prolly a 1 page thread at most