6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What now??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
#'s look ok to me except ICP KOEO on my truck is 0 (I think).
So to recap, truck overheated, put a degas bottle on it. Low power, hpo leak+cyl#1 cont code. New orings on rails, ICP&IPR act crazy and no sync. check again and now ICP&IPR look almost normal, cyl #2 cont code, and still low power? Have you read throught the low power thread in to Tech folder? https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=964020 might be some insight there. In the meantime here's a bump.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:42 PM
rigrunner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
#'s look ok to me except ICP KOEO on my truck is 0 (I think).
So to recap, truck overheated, put a degas bottle on it. Low power, hpo leak+cyl#1 cont code. New orings on rails, ICP&IPR act crazy and no sync. check again and now ICP&IPR look almost normal, cyl #2 cont code, and still low power? Have you read throught the low power thread in to Tech folder? Troubleshooting a "low power" condition - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums might be some insight there. In the meantime here's a bump.
Rusty,
I may have read 1ICP on the SGII as 11. The recap is good except I also put a new hose from TS to degas bottle (it busted) but I think the split in the degas bottle was the cause of the loss of fluid. Looking at the folder I am going to remove the IPR and see if the screen is gone and if the plunger if stuck open by trash. Will start disassemble tonight. Would the low pressure cause no sync. or is that another issue?
Thanks for the help.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 AM
rigrunner
New User
Update,
Got everything off up top to see the IPR. The ground wire that attaches at the back intake bolt feels very weak at the crimp end. Going to replace it. The plugs to the IPR & ICP looked good, no oil anywhere. Pulling the IPR tonight, then I am going to get the O'rings for the STC connection at the oil rail and replace it. With the P0264 I figure to pull #2 inj. and have it checked out at a inj. shop. After that, I guess on to the oil cooler. Will update.
Thanks for the assistance.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
You have a HPO Problem a Leak or a BAD HPOP

The Givaway was IPR% at HIGH Idel should be 40.60IPR% YOU HAD 54.7%IPR

Like Rusty says ICP should be 0 at KOEO maybe it was 1 ICP if I understand right

Post ICPV at koeo now
it should be 18-24Volts at KOEO

below is Ford Values for ICP and IPR%
the last 2 numbers with the ----------inbetween them is operating Range dont worrey about those

ICP 0.2 1.0 1.8 0.15 - 4.7 VOLT Injection Control Pressure
ICP_DES 0 625.5 1400 - 1450 0 - 4045 PRESSURE (PSI) ICP Desired
IPR # 14.84 24 40.60 0 - 50 PERCENT Injection Pressure Regulator

You need to AIR TEST HPO System Now

Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
P0264 INJ Cylinder Number 2 Injector Circuit Low Open circuit, fuel injector, FICM connector loose

How much volts is the FICM Putting out???

And what other DTC/Codes did you have before you cleared them???

This might be the 3rd problem

Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
high ipr% at idle make me wonder if the pump is going south. not unheard of on an 03/04
chopped liver????? Bwahahahahahahahahaha

sorry.....inside joke

Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
chopped liver????? Bwahahahahahahahahaha

sorry.....inside joke
funny funny man

Old 08-22-2012, 02:18 PM
rigrunner
New User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
You have a HPO Problem a Leak or a BAD HPOP

The Givaway was IPR% at HIGH Idel should be 40.60IPR% YOU HAD 54.7%IPR

Like Rusty says ICP should be 0 at KOEO maybe it was 1 ICP if I understand right

Post ICPV at koeo now
it should be 18-24Volts at KOEO

below is Ford Values for ICP and IPR%
the last 2 numbers with the ----------inbetween them is operating Range dont worrey about those

ICP 0.2 1.0 1.8 0.15 - 4.7 VOLT Injection Control Pressure
ICP_DES 0 625.5 1400 - 1450 0 - 4045 PRESSURE (PSI) ICP Desired
IPR # 14.84 24 40.60 0 - 50 PERCENT Injection Pressure Regulator

You need to AIR TEST HPO System Now
Blades35,
I removed everything last pm to get to the IPR. The FICM connectors are secured with zip ties, the ground wire at the back of the intake manifold feels like it is gonna break where the eye is crimped(was going to replace). I was gonna remove/check IPR, replace if bad. Then fix ground connection, install new O'ring on STC fitting at HP Oil Rail (driver side) and then check for oil leak by providing air to fitting at STC on driver side. If a leak, find it. No leak, put side back together, crank and see if P0264 code appears because of possible ground connection. SGII records FICM at 47.5-48.0 vdc. With 200+k miles I was thinking of going ahead with HPOP and injector replacement, Oil cooler replacement because most everything else had been replaced.
Do have 403 & 405 codes but the EGR had been deleted by previous owner.
Thanks for the assistance

Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 PM
rigrunner
New User
Update, Just got the IPR out and I have a split O'ring at the end. There was also some piece of plastic like material on the O'ring where it was cut. I dropped the piece when I wiped it off the O'ring. The screen is intact and there are no other pieces on the tube. Could this have been the cause of such a leak? loss of pressure? high IPR readings? Can I just replace the O'ring or buy a new IPR at $235.00. Skeeter's are eating me alive so I will be going back out tomorrow after work to re-install. Thanks to everyone who has helped me this far.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
If screen is intact IPR should be ok. Get some Deet man, those skeeters are killing people! Local woman lost a beautiful horse here today.

Not sure if you know but cheezit- who mentioned the oil pump above^^ - is a Ford Tech with much experience on these trucks.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM
rigrunner
New User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
If screen is intact IPR should be ok. Get some Deet man, those skeeters are killing people! Local woman lost a beautiful horse here today.

Not sure if you know but cheezit- who mentioned the oil pump above^^ - is a Ford Tech with much experience on these trucks.
Thanks Rusty,
Does it require a special O'ring? Do you think it could be the cause of the high IPR reading and loss of power? Bought a thermocell for the skeets, works great in a 5-7ft circle but it was under the hood and they were gnawing on the legs. Maybe cheezit will chime in, been working on this thing since I bought it. Enterprise if around Dothan/Opp area right? I have relatives in Evergreen, grew up in Mobile (ages ago)
Thanks again

Old 08-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
To be honest I think it would take a heck of a leak to make a difference in pressure, for that to be it there would have been a huge puddle of oil. Still got a HPO leak or pump is struggling to keep up. I have family in Louisiana and we go through Evergreen (and Mobile) a couple times a year. I lived in Pascagoula Ms a couple years.

On the o-ring, i think the IPR is different on your '04 but on my '06 there are two just at the edge of the screens cap. One looks normal enough but but may be hi temp rubber given where it's at and the other is square shoulderd and labeled as a "back up oring". Also thers a regular oring on the base where the threads are. I got a screen kit from the dealer. It came with all four parts and cost a little less than $50.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Time to Air Test

if the Pump Bad you will hear Air Girggling in oil filter housing also listen valve covers for air leak and dont do it to Fast the air needs to work past oil do it multiple times and give IPR a Break after each time DONT BURN IPR UP

I betting Cheezit Nailed this one

Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
IMO and its just a wield *** guess but its not a pressure issue but a volume issue with the pump. but hey Im just chopped liver

Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM
rigrunner
New User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Time to Air Test

if the Pump Bad you will hear Air Girggling in oil filter housing also listen valve covers for air leak and dont do it to Fast the air needs to work past oil do it multiple times and give IPR a Break after each time DONT BURN IPR UP

I betting Cheezit Nailed this one
I'll look in the tech folder for air test instructions. I had thought of a quick connect at the STC fitting on the driver side oil rail and plugging the STC fitting on the pass side. Sometimes I try to read into something instead of reading something. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: What now??????