1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

'86 F150 Resto-Mod or The (mis)Adventures of El Guapo

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:43 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I haven't done much lately. Just discovered Friday evening, what I need to do to the MSD box to keep it from signaling the EFI system to flood the motor with fuel at key on. I also have figured out that I need to double check to insure that my voltage isn't dropping to low, triple check the timing and distributor setup, etc.

Today, I removed the firewall reinforcement plate that is spot welded on the engine side of the firewall. The cracks were far more extensive than I imagined.

I'm thinking of cutting out the cancer and replacing it with new metal. Can you say tedious? Since I plan to smooth the firewall, and plan to keep this truck for another 10-15 years and then give it to my son, I want to make sure this repair never has to be repeated. I am planning to get a reinforcement plate like the one I removed from the front of the firewall,

and incorporate the firewall reinforcement plate that Terrapin Mfg makes to have a larger, slightly thicker panel that will be on the cab side of the firewall.

Slowly, but surely.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM
81ChopTop
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Giving the motor a break for a bit? At least you know what was happening. Sometimes walking away for a bit helps to clear the mind and rethink things.

Don't you just love all the spot welds in the firewall plate? Takes forever to get them off.

All in due time, I haven't made much progress lately either.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by 81ChopTop
Giving the motor a break for a bit? At least you know what was happening. Sometimes walking away for a bit helps to clear the mind and rethink things.

Don't you just love all the spot welds in the firewall plate? Takes forever to get them off.

All in due time, I haven't made much progress lately either.
I was kind of bummed that I couldn't get the motor running while the kids were here. I've been checking, double checking, and triple checking stuff, and talked with the tech folks at CompCams (who make the FAST EZ EFI system) and they gave me some really good tips. One was that the MSD box sends a signal to the EFI computer that causes it to flood it with fuel on key on. Just figured out how to correct that, so hopefully, I'll get it running soon. But in the meantime, like you said, I just wanted to step back from it for a bit and so I am starting work on the cab.

I think there are about 23 or 24 spot welds to cut out. I bought a spot weld cutter which was a lifesaver, but still it takes some time and effort.

When it's all done, it will be stronger and better than new. I'm just glad I found the cancer before I had the cab back on the frame with motor in the way.

Slowly but surely.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Daveyj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribed

Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Dozhlivaya302
Junior User
Nice frame-off! I am loving the project so far! Great work - subscribed...

Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 AM
78 & 87 Super Cab
Posting Guru
Great project, sent ya a visitor message about the brake booster

Old 12-14-2012, 11:07 AM
emgee
Tuned
Great project! I'm susbscribed.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
nice build, very clean, detailed, and most importantly, not rushed.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Thanks, Dozh, 1980 F150, emgee, bootlegger. I appreciate the kind words.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
that wasnt kind, that was me telling you to hurry up!!!

JK, it looks great...

Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Well, I took a little time off, primarily because it was so cold, and I was kind of bummed at not getting the engine fired yet. But with the weather warming a little bit, I've started spending a little more time out in the garage. I fabricated a bracket to hold the rear brake line splitter. I ran my flexible line to the rear axle, where the line divides to feed both rear wheel cylinders. The splitter, though, needed a bracket to hold it in position.

First, I made a cardboard template

Then I cut it out of sheet steel, bent it to match the contour of the axle, and then bent the tab that will position the brake line fitting.

The axle vent holds it place. Now, on to the "fun" part - running the hard lines. Slowly, but surely.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Well, I finally got the cab pretty much cleaned out.

The only thing left to pull is the windshield, and it is ready to strip. I still haven't tackled the firewall crack, because I really want to improve my body panel welding skills first. While disassembling, I got an idea, and have decided to enclose the wiper motor to tidy up that area of the engine compartment.

First, I made a template from cardboard. I will have some 1" tabs folding down for the front to attach to.

I cut it out of some 22g sheet steel, bent the tabs down, and drilled the holes for the attaching screws.

I still have to fab up the bottom and the front piece that will connect the two and actually hide the motor. You can see the bottom template taped under the wiper motor. You don't see the front template, as it is stuck on the windshield, out of my way.

I wanted to get this done before I got it stripped. Still need to fix the firewall, but I should have that done soon. I guess I can strip it first. Definitely have to fix the firewall before it goes to paint, though.

Hopefully, I can get the cab back on the frame before too long. Slowly, but surely.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I really like the brake line bracket. Good job! As for the wiper box, I'm not sold on the need, but perhaps once it is on I'll love it. In any event, I envy you getting to that point as I hope to be there in a few months.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I really like the brake line bracket. Good job! As for the wiper box, I'm not sold on the need, but perhaps once it is on I'll love it. In any event, I envy you getting to that point as I hope to be there in a few months.
Thanks, Gary. I thought the brake line bracket came out pretty good, too. As far as the wiper motor cover, I figured it would give me some experience on a slightly bigger sheet metal project. I plan to move the heater/AC box into the cab and delete the big heater/AC box in the engine bay, and then add sheet metal inner fenders over the plastic ones to hide the electric wires, ignition box, and all those wires, etc. So the wiper box cover will compliment that. Yes, I know I'm crazy.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
It really is going to look good. I'm anxious to see it - and I'm sure you are as well.

Quick Reply: '86 F150 Resto-Mod or The (mis)Adventures of El Guapo