1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Engine swap - '92 Mustang 5.0HO/AOD into '66 F100

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff66
I'm going to paint it Metallic Mariner Blue, hopefully this next weekend. I just finished wet sanding, did it the rain! I have a few small dings to spot putty. I was fortunate enough to find a truck that had no rust through anywhere at all on the body, just surface rust on the hood and roof. I only drive my truck back and forth to work, about 10 miles round trip each day so the gas bill isn't so bad but I don't ever keep track of the receipts, I don't want to know! I know it would've been cheaper to have done the swap sooner but as this is my only way to get to and from work (wife needs her car everyday) it just isn't possible.
I painted my 63 stepside pearl kona blue..
Where you from?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Jeff66
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 1_ton_bronco
I painted my 63 stepside pearl kona blue..
Where you from?
Orem, Utah

Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Orem, Utah
Oh ok.. I thought you were cloer.
Edgewater, nj here..

Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 979 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by 37 Ford guy
I also learned that I can completely eliminate the EGR and it's attachments for this swap. Several aftermarket suppliers offer an EGR block off plate. I will still need to get the EGR eliminator to plug into the harness to fool the computer. RJM Injection Tech — EGR Eliminator
Sorry to have to break the bad news to ya but No.. you can't eliminate the EGR system without throwing codes and setting the check engine light, and the RJM kit will not help in this matter as it only addresses half of the EGR functionality so you will still get codes. On this motor this is a waste of time anyway with how tidy the EGR system is so I'm gonna suggest you just leave it alone. Now the smog(air injection) can be completely deleted without any side effects so have at all that stuff, but be sure to leave the TAB and TAD solenoids electrically connected.

P.S. Nice project BTW, and as long as the truck doesn't have lincoln towncar gearing(2.73) you should see a massive improvement in fuel milage into the high teens to possibly even low 20s strictly highway.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:54 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Conanski
Sorry to have to break the bad news to ya but No.. you can't eliminate the EGR system without throwing codes and setting the check engine light, and the RJM kit will not help in this matter as it only addresses half of the EGR functionality so you will still get codes. On this motor this is a waste of time anyway with how tidy the EGR system is so I'm gonna suggest you just leave it alone. Now the smog(air injection) can be completely deleted without any side effects so have at all that stuff, but be sure to leave the TAB and TAD solenoids electrically connected.

P.S. Nice project BTW, and as long as the truck doesn't have lincoln towncar gearing(2.73) you should see a massive improvement in fuel milage into the high teens to possibly even low 20s strictly highway.
Smog could be belt bypassed or pulley bypassed..
Your wrong on the egr delete.. egr can be completely deleted with a plate and tuner

Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to paint it Metallic Mariner Blue, hopefully this next weekend. I just finished wet sanding, did it the rain! I have a few small dings to spot putty. I was fortunate enough to find a truck that had no rust through anywhere at all on the body, just surface rust on the hood and roof. I only drive my truck back and forth to work, about 10 miles round trip each day so the gas bill isn't so bad but I don't ever keep track of the receipts, I don't want to know! I know it would've been cheaper to have done the swap sooner but as this is my only way to get to and from work (wife needs her car everyday) it just isn't possible.
Hey Jeff, I like the wet sanding in the rain! That's pretty convenient.

I hear ya on the "only way to get to and from work." Mine is too. Thus, I'm trying to plan this thing out so I have most of the perifrial stuff in place before I ever pull the 352. The actual swapping of the engine/trans will be pretty easy so if everything else is mostly pre-mounted (computer, wiring, fuel lines, fuel pumps, etc) before I start, then I might be able to make it happen over a long weekend. That's my goal anyway!

Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
66 ford lover
Freshman User
Hey 37 Ford Guy, I just now saw your post. I just finished putting an older rebuilt 302 with a rebuilt AOD in my 66. Oh man she just purrs down the freeway at 70 and above. I love it. Super smooth motor, you'll love it. Note-go for a H-pipe when doing the exhaust, it makes less vibration and smooths more noise.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Conanski

Hey Paul, thanks for chiming in! I read several of your posts over in the small block section. I don't have any big problems with leaving the EGR system in place but I've seen it done both ways in the various places I've been studying this online. I believe the RJM guys say their eliminator will trick the computer into thinking it's still there but it may still throw "soft codes" which won't trigger the check engine light.

I would appreciate it if you could further explain your thoughts on the matter. I just want to do this in the most efficient, cost effective & easy to understand way as possible....

Oh, btw, the truck has the Dana 44 limited slip with 3.54 gears.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:23 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by 66 ford lover
Hey 37 Ford Guy, I just now saw your post. I just finished putting an older rebuilt 302 with a rebuilt AOD in my 66. Oh man she just purrs down the freeway at 70 and above. I love it. Super smooth motor, you'll love it. Note-go for a H-pipe when doing the exhaust, it makes less vibration and smooths more noise.
Thanks, 66, that's good to hear! I have an H pipe in the plans. It already has the O2 sensor bungs in it. What year is your 302? carbed or efi?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 PM
66 ford lover
Freshman User
It came out of a 1985? That's the date of the motor. I bought it used from a good rebuilder, and then I got a new Edelbrock 1406 carb for it. I still need to update to electronic ignition, but its okay for now. I also put a new disc brake front end under her, she stops on a dime now! Lokar shifter and linkages all the way, did mine with a stick on the floor.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
Thanks, 66, that's good to hear! I have an H pipe in the plans. It already has the O2 sensor bungs in it. What year is your 302? carbed or efi?
I gotta guess on his.. maybe 87+
But that egr is worth it too leave it in..

Another thing that i couldnt believe is why someone would put a 5.4 in a 55 f100??
LOL?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by 66 ford lover
It came out of a 1985? That's the date of the motor. I bought it used from a good rebuilder, and then I got a new Edelbrock 1406 carb for it. I still need to update to electronic ignition, but its okay for now. I also put a new disc brake front end under her, she stops on a dime now! Lokar shifter and linkages all the way, did mine with a stick on the floor.
Yeah, I did the power disc brakes & power steering swap right after I bought my truck 4 yrs ago. It just seems necessary for driving in L.A. I also put the Pertronix II electronic ignition & matching coil on it, which works well. Of course, I won't need that since I'm converting to EFI now and will be using all the Mustang stuff.
Any pics of your shifter setup? I'm still leaning towards trying to keep the column shift but it's good to consider the options. Eventually, I want to install my set of 66 Mustang bucket seats & the Ranger console so a floor shifter wouldn't be bad with that setup.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:27 PM
37 Ford guy
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by 1_ton_bronco

Another thing that i couldnt believe is why someone would put a 5.4 in a 55 f100??
LOL?
Hmmm....you lost me on this one....actually the 5.4 Lightning motor could be kinda cool in a 55 or even a 66. The new 5.0 Coyote motor would be cool too.
If someone was putting either engine in a '55, I'm guessing they have Mustang II or some other R&P suspension which would give more room for that wide engine.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to install my set of 66 Mustang bucket seats & the Ranger console so a floor shifter wouldn't be bad with that setup.
not much room in front of the ranger console for a floor shift. i was thinking of doing that myself until i put the console in.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
1954 F100
LOL
Ford : F-100 Pickup in Ford | eBay Motors
I was about to get on I295 for this douchebag.. to head for manassas LOL man asses md..
I call him and said i was coming.. too busy to give me an answer and on top of that he didnt tell me it was VA..>???

Quick Reply: Engine swap - '92 Mustang 5.0HO/AOD into '66 F100