6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Probably buying a 08 crew 4x4 with 6.4

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
jeepsterjc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we bit the bullet. I sent the two pics of the broken PS/Hydro Rad and this to the GM dealership. I still have the truck on my driveway this morning.

Jim Chxxxxxxx
2008 F350 VIN: 1FTxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Safety Related, must be repaired
1 Power Steering/Hydro-boost brake radiator torn from mounts- repair (weld) or replace
2 A/C Condenser punctured from PS/Hydro Rad banging into it- replace/re-oil/recharge
3 Steering Box- Box worn and steering poor. Replace with new or used, is ok.

As promised
1 Detailed in and out (please clean under steering wheel wrap), brush marks polished out
2 Two doors quarter-sized paint peeling near rear windows, 1 driver's door ding, rust on driver's door sill

Questions
1 We had asked if this was a hauler and the answer was “No, it was just a house builder's personal work truck”... however a 5th wheel hitch has just been removed from the truck box. I asked about this because I don't want to buy a truck that was a heavy hauler over all of our local mountain passes for its entire life. We do understand it was a construction truck... 143,000 miles with 5544 hours on the engine.
2 As discussed, we would like a 30 day commitment that any engine, tranny, fuel system troubles be covered by Northstar.
3 There are 2 keys and remote key-fobs, right?

We offer $19,000 for the above including a tranny flush and an oil change using a good diesel oil brand.
We'll repair on our own expense other body wear, damage and missing body parts.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 PM
jeepsterjc
Senior User
The dealership says they will take $18,000 as is- no warranty... hummmmmm

Old 08-08-2012, 03:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
time to pass..there are others.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:05 PM
jeepsterjc
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
time to pass..there are others.
Hi. I understand your caution and appreciate it.

There are others out there but they may be as much as $8000 - $10,000 more. I do have a hoist in my shop and I do my own work. I was thinking this counter offer of $18,000 is a surprise and a bit of an unexpected gift.

I get to do the clean up, I'll weld the hydro/ps bracket back up, ebay the condenser for $70 and charge it for $100.

The F350 uses two steering boxes, a narrow and a wide one (dually maybe) and this VIN takes the cheaper of the two- The Cardon number 27763 can be found for $219. It does mean that I have to do it myself, but I can get it done for about $400 or so.

I guess the reason I'm not walking away from this truck is that is is local, I have had it for 2 days now and will have it for tonight and tomorrow, too. I know a lot more about this truck than I would on another.

The engine is unaltered from stock and everything works. I'd be just as worried about buying another one with 80,000 on the clock as this one.

I know it's time to either fish or cut bait.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
10-4, I would not have a problem fixing it myself as well. As long as you have the know how then it is certainly do-able

Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 PM
jeepsterjc
Senior User
Troubling rattle

I have the vehicle tonight still and now that I've been driving it for 2 full days am used to the sounds the engine makes. It definitely has an engine rattle. The sound isn't present in my friends 6.0. The rattle is definitely mechanical. It comes on at 1700 rpm and is present until the engine noise drowns it out at 1850 or 1900 rpm. I have a friend with an F450 and another friend with a Cummins listen to it and one says it is a turbo bearing- he is a great bs'er and all of the Ford Powerstrokes he has experienced have only been the 6.0 and 7.3. The other friend isn't certain what it is but says it isn't right... The mechanical rattle is more on the top right. Its frequency is about 3 per second. Metal.

The mechanic at the local Ford dealership who works on them is on holidays. My only option is to take it back to the GM dealership who is trying to sell it and to get their experienced mechanic to listen to it. My two freinds both say he is a good mechanic.

Does the 6.4 have any top end rattle from some funky design change from the 6.0? I dunno. I was going to buy it tomorrow. Now everything is in the air. I'm bummed out.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take it back, it's not a crazy good deal.
It's cheap, but it's got a TON of hours on it.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:52 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM
CountryAggie
Junior User
Originally Posted by ChargersFanInCO
Wrong advice man...If the DPF cracked prior to that, those pipes will be black. A tuner might do the same, but so does a cracked DPF...I'm witness.
Other than there is no other way to tell tho. The OP asked for a way to tell and that is one. Yes it will turn black if the DPF cracks, but don't you want to run then anyhow?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:45 PM
jeepsterjc
Senior User
The local dealership was good about taking it back. Since then I've called for more information on numerous trucks, 3 trucks with lower mileage.

The craziest was an '08 4x4 350 crew shortbox at an import sports car lot. It had 114,000 kms and was super clean, but a plain Jane.

It took 3 more calls before they told me how many hours the engine had on it- 9500 hours... Wow.

After more searching- expanding the search radius- I found a '05 XLT 4x4 Crew, shortbox in mint condition with 157,000 km and 2600 hours on the clock. I'm hoping the '05 should be free of the unpopular 03 and 04 troubles. I sure am amazed by my friends '05 with the tune turned up to 100%- and his has been very reliable... No, I won't chip mine. Well,,,

New brakes, still factory paint underneath and not a mark in the paint or inside. A friend has run the VIN and it has had EBP warranty work and instrument cluster problems. We've booked a hotel room, settled on a possible price over the phone and will be driving 8 hours on a little holiday and possible truck purchasing road trip on Sunday. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks guys for all of the help so far. It looks like I could be joining the Ford family in a bigger way real soon.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc
The local dealership was good about taking it back. Since then I've called for more information on numerous trucks, 3 trucks with lower mileage.

The craziest was an '08 4x4 350 crew shortbox at an import sports car lot. It had 114,000 kms and was super clean, but a plain Jane.

It took 3 more calls before they told me how many hours the engine had on it- 9500 hours... Wow.

After more searching- expanding the search radius- I found a '05 XLT 4x4 Crew, shortbox in mint condition with 157,000 km and 2600 hours on the clock. I'm hoping the '05 should be free of the unpopular 03 and 04 troubles. I sure am amazed by my friends '05 with the tune turned up to 100%- and his has been very reliable... No, I won't chip mine. Well,,,

New brakes, still factory paint underneath and not a mark in the paint or inside. A friend has run the VIN and it has had EBP warranty work and instrument cluster problems. We've booked a hotel room, settled on a possible price over the phone and will be driving 8 hours on a little holiday and possible truck purchasing road trip on Sunday. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks guys for all of the help so far. It looks like I could be joining the Ford family in a bigger way real soon.

That would be the 6.0 l turbodiesel.
If you're impressed with your friends tuned 6.0, a tuned 6.4 will cost you a new a new pair of undies.

Show us what you find BEFORE you buy... let us drill the questions lol.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 PM
jeepsterjc
Senior User
Originally Posted by parkland
That would be the 6.0 l turbodiesel.
If you're impressed with your friends tuned 6.0, a tuned 6.4 will cost you a new a new pair of undies.

Show us what you find BEFORE you buy... let us drill the questions lol.
rofl - But I don't need a new pair of undies!

This is what we are driving 8 hours to look at:

Maybe our new truck. Come- it doesn't suck!

The deal includes a Ford dealership brake job front and rear and a new pinion seal that was barely wet... the dealer has "full disclosure" and he is good at presenting a confident impression. The deal includes an oil change, and a glove box with a fuel filter and another oil filter for $16500, and pretty low mileage. A camper levelling kit... 2" pucks in front and air bags in the rear. How's that? Maybe not great but fair if it is mint I think.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 PM
jeepsterjc
Senior User
I guess I've moved to the 6.0 part of the forum- sorry! Am I an orphan now? I hope not!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
jeepsterjc
Senior User
Does the computer need to be altered if the egr is removed?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
If I have a chance tonight, I'll look around a bit.
Are you after power?
You seem to sound like you want power, and if so, 6.4 can probably put out the most power of any diesel pickup ever, with just a tuner and exhaust.

A lot of guys had bad experienced with 6.0 diesel trucks, some had no issues at all.
You can modify them and use aftermarket parts to make them more reliable.

Are you looking for lots of features, or plain jane, or in between?

I usually tell people to get a truck with basic options, like power indows, and buy aftermarket accessories for it.

Quick Reply: Probably buying a 08 crew 4x4 with 6.4