Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

The "Hot Summer is already nearing an end" August BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Jbotto
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For you mechanics on here. I'm having a bit of a crisis. I have a friend who works at a shop and offered to get me parts for cheap if I needed anything done on my truck this summer... Well I took him up on it this week. Him and I worked on it for one night, and then he finished up as parts came in. Anyways, first black cloud over us was when we pulled the front hubcaps off, the outer portion of the bearing (and lock outs) came with the hubcaps. What the heck is this?! We ended up doing tie-rod ends and brakes all the way around. He somehow misunderstood me when I said ball joints, and heard tie rod ends. So my ball joints never even got done. Anyways, he tells me tonight that I will need to get an alignment sometime soon. Ok fine. Well I left his house and was driving and the whole front end was making a racket. These are the absolute worst noises my truck has ever made. Can that be just from being out of alignment? The parts bill for this "little" project somehow came to about $600!!!! I just can't see it, but don't have all the slips for parts yet. Haven't paid him the full amount, about half of it. Any words of advice? I'm very worried about this, because originally the parts bill came to under $400. Then we had to return some stuff and get different parts and it somehow jumped to $600. I was only counting on 400 as that's what I had to spend as this summer I've been mostly out of work. Sorry for the long-winded post but I'm very worried. Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Racer5349
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford79
Hi Dave. What blew off your(or a neighbors) house?

I see Jim's(MN) favorite driver is in the Pro Stock finals.............
Thanks for pointing that our. You're a ****. Then she goes on to win.

Originally Posted by dlibson
The trim pieces are just L trim pieces. 99% sure they are off my house. Not to many brown trimmed houses around.

Something like the trim from the roof to gutter maybe.
If they're important you'll know after more rainfall.

Sorry to hear about the camper Jay. I never leave awnings out. The one time the weather guessers said a perfect evening, I left mine out and had 80mph winds tear it off. Then it did $8,000 damage more by punching holes in the roof with the awning hardware whipping around. If it happened again I'd cut the fabric loose and cut my losses.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wildstang
Its considered a success when you return home with all your fingers. LOL
They are there still.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Hard to say Jake, but alignment issues won't make for noises like that at all...

Nothing should come off with the hubcaps. If the lockouts came out with it, you have some major issues.

Depending on what you did for brakes, I could see the bill going up. But $600, idk.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Jbotto
Posting Guru
Thanks Dave. I knew it was odd when those parts "stuck" to the hubcaps. I've changed those front tires before and knew for a fact that was not supposed to happen. When you say "major issues," what could those be?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am nodding off in my chair. Gonna sign off and head to bed.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jbotto
For you mechanics on here. I'm having a bit of a crisis. I have a friend who works at a shop and offered to get me parts for cheap if I needed anything done on my truck this summer... Well I took him up on it this week. Him and I worked on it for one night, and then he finished up as parts came in. Anyways, first black cloud over us was when we pulled the front hubcaps off, the outer portion of the bearing (and lock outs) came with the hubcaps. What the heck is this?! We ended up doing tie-rod ends and brakes all the way around. He somehow misunderstood me when I said ball joints, and heard tie rod ends. So my ball joints never even got done. Anyways, he tells me tonight that I will need to get an alignment sometime soon. Ok fine. Well I left his house and was driving and the whole front end was making a racket. These are the absolute worst noises my truck has ever made. Can that be just from being out of alignment? The parts bill for this "little" project somehow came to about $600!!!! I just can't see it, but don't have all the slips for parts yet. Haven't paid him the full amount, about half of it. Any words of advice? I'm very worried about this, because originally the parts bill came to under $400. Then we had to return some stuff and get different parts and it somehow jumped to $600. I was only counting on 400 as that's what I had to spend as this summer I've been mostly out of work. Sorry for the long-winded post but I'm very worried. Thanks for any help in advance.
Like Dave said, nothing should come off with the hub cap. If the lockout came with I can see it if the bolts retaining it to the inner part broke or fell out. But not the outer bearing. That sounds like something else failed.
I had a lock nut crack and back off on my 79 I had, while driving it btw, and almost lost the whole tire and hub. There are 2 nuts that retain the bearings on your front end, the first is used to set bearing preload, then comes a lock ring that has a small pin on it and another washer that is notched to fit in the grove of the spindle then the outer nut.

This in itself could have caused the issue with your lockout coming out with the hubcap. The lockout is only retained in the hub by a large circular ring in a groove in the hub. If the bearing lock nut is cracked(usually in one of the 4 notches) it will put a lot of pressure on that ring and could make it fail.

This of course assumes that the design of the IFS is the same basic set up as the solid axle in the older trucks. It's been a long time since I have been in to an IFS on one of these trucks.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Good night Jay, have a good one.

Well, there are multiple screws holding the cover on Jake. Plus a big lock nut inside it. If that stuff was gone it wrecked the bearings. Did you put new bearings in? Did you get them back together correctly?

Without that nut holding the bearing in, there was nothing holding your wheels on. So it's very strange...

Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Racer5349
Thanks for pointing that our. You're a ****. Then she goes on to win. .
Oh come on, you know you wanted her to win....................

Old 08-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Jbotto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by msmenne17
Dang Jake ... next time you're down here, let me know. Too bad I was out of town last night.
I would've let you know if I was in town for any length of time. I got in town at about 10:30 and left by 7:15 in the morning. Just enough time for a few glasses of Scotch and to crash on a couch. I'll let, you know next time I'm down there though!

Originally Posted by arnoldhunter
Evening fellas. The wife had a work trip up to Duluth/Two Harbors this week. So, me and the kids went along. Very cool place. We did the Gooseberry Falls trails and the Split Rock Lighthouse tour. Neato.
That is one of my family's favorite trips! I think we've visited every state park within an hour of the north shore. It only gets cooler and more scenic the farther up the shore you go! I recommend it to anyone!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Alright guys, I gotta hit the hay. See ya later.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Jbotto
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ford79
Like Dave said, nothing should come off with the hub cap. If the lockout came with I can see it if the bolts retaining it to the inner part broke or fell out. But not the outer bearing. That sounds like something else failed.
I had a lock nut crack and back off on my 79 I had, while driving it btw, and almost lost the whole tire and hub. There are 2 nuts that retain the bearings on your front end, the first is used to set bearing preload, then comes a lock ring that has a small pin on it and another washer that is notched to fit in the grove of the spindle then the outer nut.

This in itself could have caused the issue with your lockout coming out with the hubcap. The lockout is only retained in the hub by a large circular ring in a groove in the hub. If the bearing lock nut is cracked(usually in one of the 4 notches) it will put a lot of pressure on that ring and could make it fail.

This of course assumes that the design of the IFS is the same basic set up as the solid axle in the older trucks. It's been a long time since I have been in to an IFS on one of these trucks.
Originally Posted by dlibson
Good night Jay, have a good one.

Well, there are multiple screws holding the cover on Jake. Plus a big lock nut inside it. If that stuff was gone it wrecked the bearings. Did you put new bearings in? Did you get them back together correctly?

Without that nut holding the bearing in, there was nothing holding your wheels on. So it's very strange...
Thanks guys. None of that sounds good for me. I've got a friend who has worked at one of the local Ford Dealerships for 25 years or so, and I'm going to have him look at it tomorrow. I'm very worried about this.

Dave, I left when the front was still on jack stands, so I do not know what happened exactly, or how it was put back together. By the way it sounds tonight, I'm fairly certain it was put together incorrectly.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 AM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Good morning MN.

It's finally Friday! Yessssss! I got a letter over the weekend that said I start the new position on the 28th. I need firearms qualification and some other things before then. I am counting down the days already! It is a lateral move they say. I wonder how that can be but will have to talk with HR and see what they have to say.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 AM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Here ya go Dustin...............

1964 VW BUG

Old 08-06-2012, 06:10 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 144 Likes on 139 Posts
Good morning and hope Monday goes well for you MN.

Congratulations Cory! Just to have a normal schedule is an upgrade.

Quick Reply: The "Hot Summer is already nearing an end" August BS Thread