Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Look out ford, gm, and dodge, international is entering the HD sector!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
The Terrastar is like a an F-650 body on an F-550 chassis.
I looked at a 650 once, and it appeared to be an f350 cab with a giant hood and wheel cowling.... maybe I missed something.

The super duty cab is kind of a visual mind trick, from the outside it looks huge, but really the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 rd of the door panel is covering the floor and section that covers the frame.
Don't get the wrong idea, I love the fords, but they look like they have a giant cab from the outside, and they do, but not as big as it might look.
And not to hijack, but is it just me, or is the cab getting more cramped as they get newer? I swear my 02 psd had more shoulder room, but maybe I just got fatter.

The terrastar, I can honestly say it lacks some comforts and the fit and finish is rather industrial, but man, does it ride nice. And it is beefy as heck, I say it is somewhere between f550 and f650 for how tough the chassis looks.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I've been following this thread but haven't had a lot of time to really look at the truck or post. I moved it here because I thought it made more sense to have it in the Competition forum.

I've got to say I'm a fan of it. It really isn't a bad truck at all. I found this one on the Truck Paper site:

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...?OHID=3581193&

Granted it's got a GM bed on it but I like it.

I think it's like any other medium duty out there. There's a purpose for it in several areas of the truck market. It's just a matter of finding the correct niche for it. I can see a model like the one I linked above being a great tow vehicle for the heavy fifth wheel crowd.

I don't know about it as a daily driver without some weight on the back of it but overall, I'm impressed.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
The F650 may have the V10 option, but from what I hear it is pretty out of place in the F650 and has very limited uses. I kind of think of it as the 5.4 in the superdutys. It is a great motor, and will get the job done, but there is another option that is better suited for the truck. The V10 should stick to (and be made available again) in F250-F550s IMO.

As for the larger cab on the small chassis, there is no reason not to, plus I'm sure it shares most if not all of the parts from the larger trucks, making the up front cost of making a new line of truck much more cost effective.
The V10 is awesome in the f250-f550 trucks, we know it doesn't get the best mileage, but it is absolutely ideal sometimes.
As far as the V10 in a truck for constant hauling, like a f650 or terrastar, apparently international is planning a gas engine for the terrastar. An 8 liter v8 I thought.

The terrastar cab is identical from the bigger chassis trucks, and I think it worked out perfect. They look stupid at first, then they look cute, then you get in one, and it grows on you super fast. The frame is super strong in these, although it sits low on the ground, that is because that's what they wanted... It is not a glorified one ton truck.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:09 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
I've been following this thread but haven't had a lot of time to really look at the truck or post. I moved it here because I thought it made more sense to have it in the Competition forum.

I've got to say I'm a fan of it. It really isn't a bad truck at all. I found this one on the Truck Paper site:

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...?OHID=3581193&

Granted it's got a GM bed on it but I like it.

I think it's like any other medium duty out there. There's a purpose for it in several areas of the truck market. It's just a matter of finding the correct niche for it. I can see a model like the one I linked above being a great tow vehicle for the heavy fifth wheel crowd.

I don't know about it as a daily driver without some weight on the back of it but overall, I'm impressed.
This company makes actual terrastar branded beds for it:

AVM- Luxury Automotive Conversions, International Truck TerraStar, Terrastar Limited, TerraStar SUV, International Truck Terrastar Hauler, ITE TerraStar, ITE TerraStar SUV.

And in the promo video somewhere earlier, you can see it in the video.
I believe they also provide the pickup beds directly to international as well.
And I also think things have their niche, so to speak, but that being said this is the 1st time I've ever seen a medium duty flirt so close in price to f350's to f550's.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Niche is the key. And yes the prices are very close. But I don't see this as something to limit or slow down 550 sales. Both fufill needs that the other does not.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Niche is the key. And yes the prices are very close. But I don't see this as something to limit or slow down 550 sales. Both fufill needs that the other does not.
I'm considering one, and I'm only an f250 / 350 customer.

The cabs are bigger, seem way stronger, the engine is easy to access, DEF is on the way, along with 4x4, ... I am considering it.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
I'm considering one, and I'm only an f250 / 350 customer.

The cabs are bigger, seem way stronger, the engine is easy to access, DEF is on the way, along with 4x4, ... I am considering it.
Yeah but one of your first threads was about big mods

Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
International's version of the 6.4 is a ton different than most guys realize, different block, different fuel system, pretty much completely different except for displacement.
I'd like to see your source for the supposed different block, fuel system, etc.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about differences in the fuel system, but they've used a CGI block since 2010:

MaxxForce 7 | Commercial Engine | Diesel Engine | MaxxForce

Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
I don't know about differences in the fuel system, but they've used a CGI block since 2010:

MaxxForce 7 | Commercial Engine | Diesel Engine | MaxxForce

Yup, 2010 the 6.4 got a re do.

Here is a list of things I can remember that are different:

-Block; went to CGI.

-Heads; no more glow plugs, uses intake grid heater.

-Fuel system; I don't know all the specifics, maxforce is a 32,000 psi system, and I *think* a different HPFP, at least.

-Turbocharger sits lateral to the engine, reducing "end to end" vibrations on turbocharger internals and seals.

-EGR system went from 2 EGR coolers, to 1 big one, which eliminated a lot of connections, and *seems* to be more reliable.

Thats all I can think of right now.... but basically it's very very different, which is not what I expected. I expected to open the hood of the terrastar, and see the same engine that's in my 6.4 f350,... it doesn't look the same, it doesn't run the same, it doesn't sound the same.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:47 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Hmm, that is interesting. I wonder if not having to fit the 6.4 into a Ford pickup meant that Navistar could go a different direction with it.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Hmm, that is interesting. I wonder if not having to fit the 6.4 into a Ford pickup meant that Navistar could go a different direction with it.
The Maxxforce 7 has ALWAYS been different from the Powerstroke. Up until then the block may have been the same, but the turbo, intake plumbing, EGR system, and possibly the fuel system were different. There has never been a 350 HP MaxxForce 7 engine available.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:34 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Crazy001
The Maxxforce 7 has ALWAYS been different from the Powerstroke. Up until then the block may have been the same, but the turbo, intake plumbing, EGR system, and possibly the fuel system were different. There has never been a 350 HP MaxxForce 7 engine available.
I believe a few things used to be more similar to the powerstroke branded version, like the EGR coolers.

2010 + maxxforce is more different, and it seems like they are continuing with it.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I'm thinking yes, and I'm also thinking it probably could have been used by ford further than 2010, but I think ford would have tanked their sales on the EGR only technology.
While it works, mileage is down a bit, not as much as most think, but in town mileage tanks even worse, and let's face it.... many super duty owners are very concerned about mileage, and most owners drive lots in town, despite the nature of the vehicle.

The maxxforce 7 2010 + engine has had a very solid track record as well, I mean very solid.... possibly surpassing the powerstroke engine. But let's not get into that. They also get coolant filters, crankcase vent filters, and other little changes and doo-dads that ford decided weren't needed.

The funny thing is that navistar pushed the "EGR only" plan so long, and now they're going to urea injection anyways, seems like that was a terrible idea, in hindsight.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
I believe a few things used to be more similar to the powerstroke branded version, like the EGR coolers.

2010 + maxxforce is more different, and it seems like they are continuing with it.
I thought there were more similarities to the Powerstroke flavor as well.

I'm thinking yes, and I'm also thinking it probably could have been used by ford further than 2010, but I think ford would have tanked their sales on the EGR only technology.
While it works, mileage is down a bit, not as much as most think, but in town mileage tanks even worse, and let's face it.... many super duty owners are very concerned about mileage, and most owners drive lots in town, despite the nature of the vehicle.

The maxxforce 7 2010 + engine has had a very solid track record as well, I mean very solid.... possibly surpassing the powerstroke engine. But let's not get into that. They also get coolant filters, crankcase vent filters, and other little changes and doo-dads that ford decided weren't needed.

The funny thing is that navistar pushed the "EGR only" plan so long, and now they're going to urea injection anyways, seems like that was a terrible idea, in hindsight.
The EGR only technology isn't going to cut it. It sounds like Navistar doesn't want to admit defeat so they are calling their solution ICT+. Navistar

I don't understand why they are so hell bent on sticking with an EGR only solution. The availability of DEF is not an issue and the complexity argument is pretty weak. Nevermind the fact that an EGR only solution just plain wasn't cutting it!

Quick Reply: Look out ford, gm, and dodge, international is entering the HD sector!!!!