Sponsored by:

Beefy Safari Rack mounting...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 PM
ExcursionAmazon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beefy Safari Rack mounting...HELP!!

Ladies and gentlemen...I am having a big a$$ steel safari rack fabricated for the X...and we are looking at the best ways to affix it to the top. I currently have the roof rack rails (standard w/the X) and nothing more. Called Ford to see if there was some type of bracket that slid into the rails that would hold a roof rack and well...they were not very helpful to say the least...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I am looking at more of a permanent mounting system...do not foresee the need to ever take it off. The rack will run the length of the affixed rails and as far towards the front as we can safely get it (maybe another 12 inches at most). <o></o>
<o></o>
I have seen a lot of these mounted on X’s and other SUV’s online…just can not seem to see how they are mounted. <o></o>
<o> </o>
I would greatly appreciate any help from you guys!! Thanks!<o></o>
<o></o>
Anna

Old 07-20-2012, 07:55 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Two only real options that I could think off, and have in my mind my own custom rack one day.
More permanent is to take off all stock pcs from roof, add flat bar to rack, apply a closed cell tape like on canopies, and bolt it right into the roof. Right in the place of stock rails.

Option 2; leave original rails, and remove all cross bars. Unbolt the 2 back end of rails on stock rack. Have shop add flat stock at slight angle so you can slide into the rails, kinda like stock cross bars do now, just full length. Add a few bolt holes to sinch it in place. This way you could remove fairly easily with out much effor, but not quite as strong as bolted to roof.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would be the build I did on mine. Post #30 is how I had it mounted when I got it done. I have since removed it because they had to do some bodywork on the roof around the windshield frame. I am working on getting a few more pieces to do some more mods before I re-mount it. I am planning some 2"x2" angle the same length as the factory rails to bolt to the factory nuts with 1 layer of 3/8" rubber in between. I will then weld the rack to the angle and have a permanent mounting that is removable if absolutely needed in the future. Totally custom with no Ford parts and pieces left on it.
Oh, and I'm going to be adding a High Lift mount, a shovel mount, maybe some locking storage...
Good Luck and post up pics of what you decide to do.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 AM
ExcursionAmazon
Junior User
Awesome!! Thanks for the info! I think I am also going to have a high lift jack mounted to it. Was going to have a mod made for mounting a spare tire on the rack, then someone brought up a very good point, getting the 40 inch spare off a giant X w/a 10 inch lift. DAMN the common sense!

Will keep you posted as the work begins!