Sponsored by: Moser

TPMS fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TPMS fault

So, coming home tonight, I had a new error pop up that I haven't seen before - TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT - combined with an extremely irritating flashing TPMS light.

I had new tires put on last week... have right at 102K on the truck now. It's an 09 XLT Screw 6.5' bed 4x2.

Any thoughts on a possible cause? Is it at all likely that the sensor was damaged during the tire install? I don't want to give the tire shop a hard time if it wasn't their fault, but the timing seems a bit of a coincidence.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
It most likely is a wheel sensor and yes, it does seem to be a bit coincidental.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm... you didn't happen to ever put Fix-A-Flat in any of your old tires, did you? When I was in the sad position of being a tire mechanic, we'd have people come in that had put that gunk in their tires and it would clog up the sensor. Also, the Ford "valve stem type" tire sensors are not supposed to have the valve core removed from the valve. This was what I was told by the dealer tech when I was a tire bi*** at the stealership. Guess it supposedly messes up the sensor, but it's common practice for a tire shop to pull the cores in order to deflate the tire before removing it.

I understand not giving people a hard time (I'm the same way) but that tire shop might be able to tell which sensor it is (depends on their diagnostic tools) and pull the tire off to have a look for damage. If they clearly broke it, then they are obligated to make it good as new with a replacement Ford sensor.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
by chance did you get bigger tires?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM
glass_joe099
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is giving me Deja Vu. Isn't their a duplicate thread just like this one some place?

So the question is, if/when I am due to replace my tires what is the proper procedure for the replacement on the tire guy's end? I go to a tire wholesaler, its more like a factory operation really. They move a large volume of tires and when you pull up in front of the place there are probably close to 30 guys running round working on cars all at once. However they are not exactly the cream of the crop as far as intelligence goes. The owner and salesmen you speak to know their stuff. I suppose I should mention it to them ahead of time.

Before I get that far how do I know if I have those sensors in my tires?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Well it was a few years ago when I last busted tires for a paycheck (got a real job now) but back then the valve stem type pressure sensor was easily spotted because the entire valve stem was aluminum. There is also the kind of sensor that is strapped onto the rim before the tire is mounted. Gotta pull the tire off the rim to see.if you have that kind.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Bret (OH)
Junior User
Also, the Ford "valve stem type" tire sensors are not supposed to have the valve core removed from the valve. This was what I was told by the dealer tech when I was a tire bi*** at the stealership. Guess it supposedly messes up the sensor, but it's common practice for a tire shop to pull the cores in order to deflate the tire before removing it.

So how would one deflate the tire without pulling the core?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not so sure about that no pulling the valve core advice. I bought a set of new takeoff tires and wheels (without sensors), had the sensors pulled off my stock wheels, and all eight were deflated via removal of the valve stems...no issues. Months later, I had a screw in a tire that a tire shop plugged and patched necessitating the dismounting of the tire (and removal of the valve stem to deflate) with no issues.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Sounds like a damaged or defective sensor to me. Unless there is actually physical damage to the sensor it would be hard to pin this on the tire shop. Most tire shops have been dealing with TPMS for long enough that they are educated on how to service them. There should be instructions on how to use the TPMS in your owner manual. You may have to have a scan to tell which one is giving you problems. That I'm not sure of since I don't have a vehicle new enough to have TPMS. The Ford shop manuals will give you that info. Since the government mandated the TPMS on all vehicles they should have to pay for the repair and maintenance of them. Otherwise it's just a back door tax on the consumer who has trouble with them.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:34 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've read every recommendation except checking the tire pressure to see if it was low.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:49 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bret (OH)
Also, the Ford "valve stem type" tire sensors are not supposed to have the valve core removed from the valve. This was what I was told by the dealer tech when I was a tire bi*** at the stealership. Guess it supposedly messes up the sensor, but it's common practice for a tire shop to pull the cores in order to deflate the tire before removing it.

So how would one deflate the tire without pulling the core?
If I remember correctly, they had a quick connect chuck that clipped on the stem to bleed some air out. Then the bead buster would take care of the rest. Really, you don't even have to let any air out most of the time. Stick that rim in the bead buster and 9 times outta 10 it'll bust it right off, inflated or not, and no damage done to anything.

Then again, I may be completely wrong about removing the cores on sensors. Just something I barely remember someone telling me when I was hired.
Who's to say that I'm right, or that they were?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Fortunately, this issue has not repeated itself. Yes, the tires are all properly inflated. I'm going to hope it was just a glitch.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:16 PM
garyrox5
New User
I also get the TPMS fault on very long trips, comes up a couple of times, then I hit okay and the screen goes back to normal and eventually the tire image goes away. just a small "pita". Our government at work. Asked the service writer about it and he said if it goes away, they can't look back to see which one. It has never happened on shorter trip, just after driving for a couple of hours. If I could turn off the whole TPMS thing, I would be happy.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
jwh2car
Mountain Pass
I know I had the TPMS light come on in my '09 FX-4 a day or two after I snipped a curb. I went and made sure all the tires were inflated to the right psi and pumped a little air in a few and the light went out. My friend has a '10 model XLT and happened to ask me about the light. I told him to try checking all his tire pressures and maybe even goose 'em up a few pounds and the light went out for him as well.http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...s2/stretch.gif

Old 07-20-2012, 06:49 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
I have heard from a Ford tech that certain radio frequencies can set them off. I have had them go off with my stock tires as well as my Toyos. PITA...Thanks gov-ment well.

Quick Reply: TPMS fault