1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof channel sealant cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by IslandBlueV10
I have this same problam. 3 1/2 years ago I took my truck to a reputable autobody shop to have my whole roof painted and fixed. Last Sunday I washed my truck and waxed it, and noticed my paint peeled on the roof.

So the other day I took it back to the autobody shop to have them see it and see what they would do to fix it, I was told they warrenty their work for as long as I own the truck. Now they are saying that they won't warrenty it because it is a bad design by Ford, and it will keep doing it. But for $500 they will fix it again, with no warrenty.

Needless to say I will go else where as soon as I can afford it. In the mean time I am brushing on some primer and hoping I can get it fixed soon.

If anyone knows a better way of fixing this please let us know? Is their a better putty to put in the channel? Or how about adding a flex agent into the paint?
You can have the best paint in the world and if you don't do the proper prep prior to painting the job will suck. In my experience that a LOT of body shops hurry through the prep job and it shows in the final result. It is most apparent in the harder to reach areas where you can't use power tools like seams, smaller crevices, towards the bottom edges of the panel and etc. You will get paint peeling.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:02 AM
GoCamping
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IslandBlueV10
GoCamping Asked: How much did they charge you the first time around?

The first time they charged $350 for the roof, plus I had some other cosmetic work done at the same time. Like having my wheel arches painted, and front grill painted. So my total bill was like $550.
Thank you, that at least gives me an idea. I also have some other things that I need to deal with and balancing the whole DIY vs hole in my wallet. Going to stop by some body shops soon.

Your pics don't show up from photobucket, I think they're in a private album?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 AM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoCamping

Your pics don't show up from photobucket, I think they're in a private album?
Sorry I think I did something wrong, but I redid the pics. So hopefully they show up now for everyone else.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
GoCamping
Elder User
Cool I can see them now, thanks! I think I have a combo of peeling and cracking. You've given me some ideas though on if I DIY. Did you find any rust underneath?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:52 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GoCamping, I did find just surface rust where it peeled. I also peeled off some more paint that was still on. Then I sanded the bare metal, then primed. I also am brushing some primer over the cracked paint. When done I will brush on some touch up paint. I consider this a temporary fix.

It is driving me nuts that it is there. Even though no one can see it I know it is there. I try my best to keep this truck nice, and take care of it.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:14 AM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
I'd suggest taking that primer back off and sealing/treating that crack and rust with some POR-15, Rustbullet, or a similar product. Primer isn't going to do much to kill/prevent the spread of that rust. One of those products I listed above will actually seal the rust and prevent oxygen from getting to it, effectively killing the rust where it is now. Once you get that done, then have it primered and repainted.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by akaFrankCastle
I'd suggest taking that primer back off and sealing/treating that crack and rust with some POR-15, Rustbullet, or a similar product. Primer isn't going to do much to kill/prevent the spread of that rust. One of those products I listed above will actually seal the rust and prevent oxygen from getting to it, effectively killing the rust where it is now. Once you get that done, then have it primered and repainted.
X2....I have used Rustbullet works great. How is that POR-15?
~Gage~

Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
i second the body shop didn't prep it correctly. paint doesn't just peel off or pop cause it feels like it. It does it because it wasn't sanded properly and the primer and paint didn't stick correctly to the metal. They should fix this with no questions asked, period!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gage2502
X2....I have used Rustbullet works great. How is that POR-15?
~Gage~
Everyone I know who has used it has loved it. Only issue with it is it has a tendency to fade over time when used on frames. Apparently Chassis Saver has a UV protect-ant mixed in to prevent this.

I'll let you know better next year when I start my frame off on the 72 Bronco.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by akaFrankCastle
Everyone I know who has used it has loved it. Only issue with it is it has a tendency to fade over time when used on frames. Apparently Chassis Saver has a UV protect-ant mixed in to prevent this.

I'll let you know better next year when I start my frame off on the 72 Bronco.
Two things....Your living in one of my favorite town/city Springs....hope to be moving there sometime....Also Post a bigger picture of your Super Duty....o ya one more thing Bronco NICE.
~Gage~

Old 07-17-2012, 01:29 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gage2502
Two things....Your living in one of my favorite town/city Springs....hope to be moving there sometime....Also Post a bigger picture of your Super Duty....o ya one more thing Bronco NICE.
~Gage~
I was lucky enough that work brought me here. I think it will be home for a long time. Unless the wife has her way and we go to Alaska.

Pic, as requested.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Super Duty Picture Thread.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
akaFrankCastle....PM sent.
~Gage~

Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM
akaFrankCastle
Senior User
Yours are turned off.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Any idea how to turn them on???

Old 07-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Ya I dont think I can receive the PM's anymore??? I dont know why?

Quick Reply: Roof channel sealant cracking?