Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Salvaged Explorer Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM
muddinmitch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salvaged Explorer Sport

Ive posted a few threads on the exploder forums about purchasing myself an explorer sport, and i have done lots of research, and looked at many over-priced and beaten explorers. However i think i may have found myself one, just wanted to dip my toes in and see what yall think. I found a 2002 sport, sohc, 4x4 with 59,000 miles on it. Thats right it has less than 60 thousand miles. It also has a salvage title... But the guy only wants 4 grand for it. His story is that he bought it after repairs (rear ended, collapsed rear door, bumper ect... frame was straightened.) If your interested you can read some of my other threads in the 87-96 f-series, im not afraid of a project, i just want something with better gas mileage than my 93 f150. So basically what im getting at is, do you think its a bad idea? Am i playing a dance with the devil on this one? Any ideas/opinions/concerns/comments are welcome, im not like some of the others who take offence to one harsher comment. So let me hear it!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 AM
muddinmitch
Junior User
Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Not on a bet.

These are higher mile units, listed at not much more:

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Summary

2002 SOHC motors may or may not have the improved tensioners, and the 5 speed automatics are potential trouble in all models.

My '98 gets a low of 11, 15.5 in mixed lead-footed driving, 16.2 with a little less lead, and ONE time 20 on a looong trip.

Mine's a 4 door 4x4 XLT and I'd be thrilled to get $4k with just under 100k miles......apples/oranges, I know...

Old 07-14-2012, 07:02 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2002 Sport Trac 4x4 and if you're looking for gas mileage better than your F150 I'd have to ask what it gets. The 4.0L SOHC/5R55E even with the 3.73's I have is no fuel squeezer for sure. Your gear choices will be 3.73 & 4.10's, all they came with. For a V6 I'm not thrilled with the MPG's but these vehicles are heavy, almost as heavy as the F150's. I'm a salvage buyer too, the only way to go for me. When I get this 94 F150 4x4 I bought fixed up to be road worthy I'm thinking of replacing the Sport Trac with a Taurus or Fusion.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Ridenred333
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I have 4.10 gears in mine and I get 15 city 20 hwy. If it is a mix I get about 17. First thing I would do is get a car fax on that truck to see if this guy is consistan with what he is saying. Just know that you probably wont get much for it when you go to sell it most people shy away from vehicles with salavage on the title. IF it is something you want and plan to keep look it over good and make a decision if you think it is worth it or not. I would definitly start off with a lower offer then that. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 PM
muddinmitch
Junior User
My current truck, the 93, gets about six miles per gallon so anything more than that is great. I plan on ordering a carfax this next week and ill go from there. What id llike to do with one of these is build a trail rig(thoughts for future). I want something other than my mud truck to wheel in. Ill drive it till i cant safely drive it down the road then tear into it and build it how i want. Ive thought about the long arm suspension setup or a four linked solid front end(again, thoughts for future). I just need something a little more daily driveable than my f150. Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Ridenred333
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by muddinmitch
My current truck, the 93, gets about six miles per gallon so anything more than that is great. I plan on ordering a carfax this next week and ill go from there. What id llike to do with one of these is build a trail rig(thoughts for future). I want something other than my mud truck to wheel in. Ill drive it till i cant safely drive it down the road then tear into it and build it how i want. Ive thought about the long arm suspension setup or a four linked solid front end(again, thoughts for future). I just need something a little more daily driveable than my f150. Thanks for all your help guys!
I know how you feel I only drive my f250 on weekends because of fuel mileage. My explorer is my daily driver. I live on a military post and never leave the post with it anymore but there are alot of back road to explore with it on post. I also drive it to work everyday about 15 to 20 miles.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridenred333
Well I have 4.10 gears in mine and I get 15 city 20 hwy. If it is a mix I get about 17. First thing I would do is get a car fax on that truck to see if this guy is consistan with what he is saying. Just know that you probably wont get much for it when you go to sell it most people shy away from vehicles with salavage on the title. IF it is something you want and plan to keep look it over good and make a decision if you think it is worth it or not. I would definitly start off with a lower offer then that. Good luck.
I figure I'd get a bit better mileage with the 4.10's.

On a 10 year old vehicle "salvage history" will only drop the value $500-$1000. I've repaired, drove, sold more of these than I can count so I have an idea of the facts.

Speaking of facts, CARFAX will be a waste of your good money. You already know it has salvage history. What more do you think you'll find out? Last one I ran, on a free account, showed 4 of the totalled parts cars I had at the time to be free of any accident history.

Originally Posted by muddinmitch
My current truck, the 93, gets about six miles per gallon so anything more than that is great. I plan on ordering a carfax this next week and ill go from there. What id like to do with one of these is build a trail rig(thoughts for future). I want something other than my mud truck to wheel in. Ill drive it till i cant safely drive it down the road then tear into it and build it how i want. Ive thought about the long arm suspension setup or a four linked solid front end(again, thoughts for future). I just need something a little more daily driveable than my f150. Thanks for all your help guys!
Six MPG ? Yeah I guess you'll be thrilled with 15-17 !!

You'll pop a timing chain tentioner or tranny before it's to the point where you "cant safely drive it down the road " unless it's a real hatchet job, which I doubt considering your original description.

Just my $.02 worth.