Sponsored by: Moser

Crown vic suspension and mod motor build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:34 AM
pidaster
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Crown vic suspension and mod motor build thread

I've been thinking and planning for a while now and finally bit the bullet and got started. I picked up a CV suspension a while back, brought the truck home and last weekend started working. The front end is bolted up but still have to box the frame and make trailing arm brackets.
I needed some wheels to fit the new bolt pattern and found somebody locally that was about to part out a police cruiser with 137k miles. What went from purchasing wheels and a few other parts resulted in me getting a complete running car for $500. I got most of the wiring stripped out yesterday and going to finish up later this afternoon. I'm going to use the 4.6 and tranny on the '73 F100 SWB.
I started taking a few pics but once I get going I forget to stop and snap some shots.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 AM
pidaster
Senior User
Getting level and stabilized.

Braces added and ready to start cutting.

Bulk of the mess removed.

Ready for test fit and alignment.

Decided to use the original tubing that was in the Crown vic frame. Torched these out and smoothed them up.

Tacked welded and bolted up.

Side shot.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 AM
resto-mod
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was thinking of doing a similar thing to my shortbed 79 f100 with an old mustang II set up ive got laying around. i decided for a 4x4 conversion instead of a hot rod though. keep us posted on how this turns out, im wondering how its gunna handle. gunna carb the 4.6 or go with the factory efi?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 AM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This truck is going to be sick. Keep us updated

Old 07-01-2012, 10:51 AM
CaptainIPSC
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the front end for a year now but can't find time to start. So I'll live vicariously thru your posts until I get started. Did you take ride height measurements before? I'm curious on the amount the Crown Vic front end will lower it. Whats your plans for the rear?

Old 07-01-2012, 01:35 PM
pidaster
Senior User
Originally Posted by CaptainIPSC
I've had the front end for a year now but can't find time to start. So I'll live vicariously thru your posts until I get started. Did you take ride height measurements before? I'm curious on the amount the Crown Vic front end will lower it. Whats your plans for the rear?
I didn't take measurements before because I pulled the motor and body off several years ago when I thought I was going to get started. It caused it to sit really high with the motor off.
I'll measure it up against my '74 which was about the same height.
Not sure on the rear yet. I'm going to see what the axle out of the '03 measures in at and it its too long, probably go with an older CV axle. Not sure if I'm gonna 4 link it, IRS, or just stick with the leafs.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM
pidaster
Senior User
I didn't take a picture before I started but as of yesterday at 2pm Central time, this was a running and driving car.
I stripped the entire wiring harness out of the body, then removed it from the frame.
I know some people were curious about dropping a dent body onto the CV frame so here's some pics to help decide. I can take measurements just tell me what you want.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 PM
pidaster
Senior User
Had a little bit of time today so I started on the trailing arm brackets. I made them out of 5/16" steel. I put a brace in close to each bolt hole. It might be overkill but that's fine with me. I highlighted in green where it will be welded to the frame on the outside. There will be some welding inside as well. I think this should be sufficient and then some.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 PM
48prerunner
Senior User
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
pidaster
Senior User
Originally Posted by 48prerunner
I think I've seen that thread before. However, I started this one because everybody kept asking about it being done on a dentside. According to all the pictures I've seen, the frames are the same width but there are differences with the sweep of the frame.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 AM
bighatchy
Senior User
Subscribed...I want to do this too. Keep the truck **** coming!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:39 PM
pidaster
Senior User
Got a little bit done today but didn't take pictures of everything yet. I put the engine over in the truck to check clearance for the brake booster and to get the steering set up. The original transmission crossmember is actually in the perfect spot. I'm going to notch it out so I can lower the transmission an inch.
The 16" wheels that came on the donor car are too small for my preference. A taller tire might look alright but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to move up to a 17" wheel.
Little by little I'll get done. Probably going to start on the 4 link rear axle in a couple of weeks.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 PM
CaptainIPSC
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Right I'm leaning towards doing this to the rear.

Hotrods to Hell

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM
pidaster
Senior User
Haven't had much time to tinker with it but I did temporarily put the '03 Crown Vic axle in the truck using the stock springs. It sat too high under the springs, too low on top of the springs. Hopefully I can get to the 4link soon. While I was out of town I found a tailgate with just a few dents, very little rust, and one bondo spot for $50 at a pull-a-part. Somebody stripped off all the trim but I don't think I'm going to use the trim anyway.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 PM
flowney
Cargo Master
Received 254 Likes on 187 Posts
Has anything happened since 8/5/2012? I am very keen to see how the rear axle works out.

Quick Reply: Crown vic suspension and mod motor build thread