Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HD tranny and 6-position chip not playing nice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD tranny and 6-position chip not playing nice

Hey guys - I saw a thread somewhere about this when I was researching what to do after my tranny went out and was hoping it wasn't going to happen to me (and it did). Ended up going with the HD remanned from ford - $3000 total out the door - didn't think it was too bad. Regardless, it kept being put into limp mode (wouldn't go into reverse or over 3rd gear), and this most recent time, the guy told me it was probably the chip not being tuned correctly. He said I'd need something done to it to be able to play with the new tranny without continuing to throw an ICP code? He suggested putting it on the stock setting and running it till I could get it reprogrammed.

However, from what I know about the chip, it's a TS 6-position (pre-programmed) chip that beans put in the truck. The ford service guy lives right down the street from the guy at Beans in Woodbury, TN, and he said he was going to ask him about it. I'm wondering if you guys knew of any way that I can cheaply get my chip to work well with the new transmission that they put in? Really can't afford much or I'd just get a new chip with settings tuned to my truck. Any thoughts? Thanks, guys.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:03 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The chip should not be effected by the transmission too much. The HD4R100 is not drastically different in the operation. If you turn it to stock and it runs fine, then yes, you should get the tunes re-burned and see if that helps. Are you using anything else on the truck other than the 6 position chip (Banks Transcommand)?

What ICP code are you getting?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
TS Performance 7.3L Powerstroke Switchable Chip (6 Position) - that's the chip that's in it (I'm fairly confident). I'm not sure of the ICP code that it's throwing. Should I find out from the dealer for you?

Can you even reburn the type of chip that's in it? It may not even be worth me doing it. I'm not looking to pay much too much for this fix - would just be nice to be able to use the current chip for whatever performance gains I'm able to gain from it.

P.S. - is there a possibility when they reflashed the computer that it messed up the chips' tuning?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:25 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I respectfully disagree with Ken.

I know that just putting in my BTS valvebody I had to get my DP re-burned. I don't know a lot about Beans but I bet they wouldn't charge you too much to do a re-burn. It's lucky that you live close enough. When I had to send mine down to Jody, I paid extra to get it next day'd back to me because I can't stand my truck running stock tunes. I would check with them, I bet it's something they have run into.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I agree with both above. Unplug the chip and see how it works. If its alright, have your chip reburned. Most are free, beans I don't know. But if you want your tunes its well worth it. Your not the first with this problem. I thought it was just DP, but I don't see why it wouldn't be all. Report back,

Chet

Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Ditto with both Jason and Chet.

Remove the chip and run it. If it runs well without the chip, all is good. If removing the chip makes no difference, then Ford needs to take a deeper look into the tranny.

From everything I've tracked over the last five years, any significant change (installing a reg return, upgraded tranny/exhaust/injectors/HPOP/turbo, etc.) can require a reburn on the chip which Beans can easily do for you. The link to their web page, however, indicates that a reburn is $275 which seems a bit steep to me, but I beleive that their definition of "reburn" is for someone who purchased the chip from an original owner. From the list of options, it looks like having them make an "adjustment" for the new tranny might actually cost nothing, again, assuming that you are the one who purchased the chip to begin with... Call them to make sure.

Link to Beans... 7.3L Power Stroke Bean's Diesel Performance Chip

Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Like the others have said. Call or email beans and tell them it shifts too hard and they will tell you what will be involved in getting your chip re-burned to make it like you like it.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by HKusp
I respectfully disagree with Ken.

I know that just putting in my BTS valvebody I had to get my DP re-burned. I don't know a lot about Beans but I bet they wouldn't charge you too much to do a re-burn. It's lucky that you live close enough. When I had to send mine down to Jody, I paid extra to get it next day'd back to me because I can't stand my truck running stock tunes. I would check with them, I bet it's something they have run into.
I agree that tuning can be tweaked once something is done, I can't see it causing the trans going into limp mode though. I would think it is something wrong with the transmission or maybe something on install (most likely IMO). I can see undesirable shifts or something, this just seems like something else.

Pulling the chip should resolve the questions though.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Is the stock position of the chip the same as pulling the chip, or I actually need to unplug the chip to see if it's acting right?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Stock should be the same. In your case, I think it may be a good idea to pull the chip just to make sure. If you run it in stock setting and it still does it, pull the chip. If it doesn't do the same thing, then it is tuning related.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm the backstory on this one (see my sig). Jody was trying to get the TQLU to not back-whack and nothing was going as planned. I PM'd Mark to seek some input and he had just enough info for Jody to solve the mystery that is the HD 4R100.

For those speculating it's just a different part number and price, it's not. It's a whole different device that's had improvements that the big boys (JW & BTS) would do... but the big boys do it their way with a better warranty.

All of my tunes where modified and my TQLU has been silky ever since.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Well... Here's the updates.

Dealer removed the chip, and related all the updates codes the computer was apparently needing. The dealer lives down the street from a guy at beans who said he'd take the chip in and reflash the tunes on it for me for free. The dealer in tullahoma is top notch, and the guy honestly cares about his customers. One of the guys at the dealer said after they flashed the updates to the computer, the truck runs better stock than it did with the chip in it. Looking forward to getting it back from beans.

What do reflashing a chip (burning the new codes) look like? I mean would beans need to have my truck to tune it specifically to my setup or can they do it without the truck? Reason being... I thought my 6 position chip was a plug and play type chip, and if that's the case, I'm confused how it didn't work right with the new tranny?

Thanks guys.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
The new HD tranney is different from the old as far as input. If they are up to date on this they should be able to correct the chip. You r chip over rides you PCM so if it still dosen't work pull it out. DP or PHP should be able to fix you up. It will cost you. PHP only reburns there own chip now. And DP is different. Let us know how it goes. Wish you luck.

Chet

Old 06-22-2012, 04:34 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
This has been said before by others, but in Reader's Digest fashion. I will expand (a little), because I have now learned enough about tuning to fill your screen (but not enough to program).
  • Most custom tuners use a TS chip and one tune programmer can over-write another tuner's tunes. Some choose to sell you a whole new chip instead of over-writing other tunes.
  • DP uses a proprietary chip, that's why they can offer up to 16 programs on your own menu instead of 6.
  • Tuning is not just making more power, it also tells the transmission how to handle itself to accept the power.
  • Tuners sometimes need to be fine-tuned when adding hardware that alters the performance. Non-stock injectors or a beefy transmission are examples of what needs a re-tune.
Once you get the chip back, there is no guarantee you'll like the shifts. The shifts in the transmission will likely be a little harsh before the transmission is warm (about a half hour of driving). If you like the shifts (assertive, but not aggressive - too hard and too soft is bad), rock and roll. If there is a shift you don't like, it helps to pay close attention to which shift and under which condition. The different shifts have different controls and under different throttle positions. DemonRacer6 was fine-tuning his shifts and here is a copy of his observations to send to Jody at DP Tuner.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:07 AM
brettdacosta
Tuned
Thanks for that - A couple more questions...

I was looking at the tuning chart, and the one thing I like most about my previous setup was the following. I'm on a lot of 30mph roads. I can't do the speed limit, but I can't abandon it either. I usually sit around 38-40. This is just barely where my truck used to shift with light loads and a soft acceleration. Not so barely that I kept bouncing in and out, but barely enough. I'm assuming that shift was from 3-4 (cause it was pretty low rpm's), but I could be wrong. Currently (chip removed), I have to reach pretty high rpm's before it will shift up into 4 but then I can back off the speed and have it sustain a lower speed in the same gear. This really isn't a question - more a statement asking what you guys think.

Also - not knowing what I'll get back from Beans is a little concerning. Are you saying that I could possibly get a poorly tuned chip back that negatively affects performance and could possibly add extra wear to the truck? I realize it will probably be better in most all cases, but I felt like my last tunes were what I liked, and I'd like to make sure I got something close to them again.

If the tune chart seems to work well, would it be able to be put on my TS chip - in other words - would it help if I sent it to Beans the chart and told them that this worked well for a guy on FTE?

Quick Reply: HD tranny and 6-position chip not playing nice