1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

About to throw in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
That's a great video. Your 51 looks to be in pretty good shape. Is it running?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It was running when parked. Haven't we all heard that one before??? Actually, it was running and driving until I started to fiddle with the carburetor. Now it's been sitting for several years.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
What is it with you and carburetors?

All you have to do to fix the carb is pull the engine and have it overhauled.....(sorry, couldn't resist)

Bobby

Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
I have problems with carbs and coils. I'm sure that the flathead will see a rebuild in its future.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:36 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Love the horn, ATTA BOY!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
I guess this thread is turning into my "build" thread even though there isn't much to "build".

I wasn't satisfied with the way the truck was running, high idle/rpm, too rich and had blue/black smoke. I took the Panel to a mechanic ($103/hr) that is familiar with multi-carb set ups, as well as Fords (constantly works on Ford Woodies and flatheads). Throughout the two weeks of the truck being there, he found that the carbs were missing a hard stop, which made it hard to adjust them and the linkage. After finding and installing a matching pair of hard stops, he was able to adjust the linkage, carbs and timing. He was also able to sync the carbs as best as possible. The truck now runs and sounds better. The blue/black smoke is gone and it idles normal. I'm satisfied with his work and he only charged me $200, which is more than fair than the time he spent on it.

He did find that both carbs have a slight vacuum leak that is causing them to stumble at low accelaration, but with the choke open slightly, it's not an issue. I will eventually get two other Holley 1904s rebuilt and replace the current carbs.

I also had a hot-start issue where the truck would barely turn over after it's been running for some time. I replaced the starter solenoid today and ran the truck again. It fired right up even after being hot.

Second round with the cover. This time, the mirror pockets were added, but they failed to look through the pictures with measurements that I sent to them with the cover.

Sent the cover back yesterday with additional photos and measurements. I should get it back in about two weeks. Hoping third time is the charm.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 AM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad it worked out and at a very fair price!

I hope to see it in person someday.

BTW, that's not a cover, it's a freaking panel prophylactic!

BDL

Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's awesome! Yeah $200 is dirt cheap. Any tuning to a multi-carb setup around here is a $500 bill. He treated you right.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I guess this thread is turning into my "build" thread even though there isn't much to "build".

I wasn't satisfied with the way the truck was running, high idle/rpm, too rich and had blue/black smoke. I took the Panel to a mechanic ($103/hr) that is familiar with multi-carb set ups, as well as Fords (constantly works on Ford Woodies and flatheads). Throughout the two weeks of the truck being there, he found that the carbs were missing a hard stop, which made it hard to adjust them and the linkage. After finding and installing a matching pair of hard stops, he was able to adjust the linkage, carbs and timing. He was also able to sync the carbs as best as possible. The truck now runs and sounds better. The blue/black smoke is gone and it idles normal. I'm satisfied with his work and he only charged me $200, which is more than fair than the time he spent on it.

He did find that both carbs have a slight vacuum leak that is causing them to stumble at low accelaration, but with the choke open slightly, it's not an issue. I will eventually get two other Holley 1904s rebuilt and replace the current carbs.

I also had a hot-start issue where the truck would barely turn over after it's been running for some time. I replaced the starter solenoid today and ran the truck again. It fired right up even after being hot.

Second round with the cover. This time, the mirror pockets were added, but they failed to look through the pictures with measurements that I sent to them with the cover.

Sent the cover back yesterday with additional photos and measurements. I should get it back in about two weeks. Hoping third time is the charm.

Where at??

Old 10-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I hope they get the cover right this time...

Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1952henry
Where at??
From what I remember the mechanic telling me, the leak is in the rear?? of the carb at the levers for the throttle??? He also thinks that the power valve in at least one carb is also malfunctioning.

It would be nice if I could send you two other carbs that I have for a rebuild to replace these.

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I hope they get the cover right this time...
Yeah, I hope so too.

Also noticed that the hot-start issue that I thought I fixed was back, but not as bad as before. So, replacing the solenoid helped. I'll check all of the battery, starter and ground connections. I may also get a spare starter rebuilt. The truck didn't have this issue before. Since the engine is not broken in yet from the rebuild, it may need more electrical power to start... maybe???

Old 09-25-2013, 11:34 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Since this kind of morphed into my build thread, I'll continue with an update.

Since the last post, I remove the dual carb intake and went back with the stock set up. The improvement was like night and day. I now have no problems with the truck. Knock on wood. The generator also crapped out. This was causing the slow crank and was draining the battery. Since I wanted to finally drive the truck without worry, I switched the generator out to the 6v pos ground alternator. Again, the difference is amazing. I now have no worries starting and driving the truck. Once the tires are replaced and the front end is fixed, I should be able to cruise without any issues.

Over the last several months, I received the cover, which now fits good. Third time was the charm.

I also installed a 6v siren recently, along with an AOOHGA horn.

Also, received the new tires today. I plan on taking the Panel to a local frame and wheel shop for them to mount/balance the tires and check over my front end, as well as do an alignment.

Sometime over the winter, I hope to insulate the interior and install the headliner, add a pair of fog lights to the front, a third brake light on the rear, install the stock radio/speaker, fix/replace the stock electrical wiper motor, install a Magic Air heater, add a second sunvisor, reupholster and install the original Panel bucket seats, and install the dual trumpet horns. After that, I think I'll call her done..... but are they ever???

Old 09-26-2013, 12:27 AM
1oldtimer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly most of the vehicles are outside so I need covers. The first one I bought was from Mid Fifty, it was the same material as yours and it lasted about 2 yrs in the sun before it came apart. The last one I bought was from California Car Cover, it is the superweave with an added 4" skirt to cover the wheels. After about 2 years it got a small rip, they replaced it for free and I just sent it back for mirror pockets. It's worth the price, although they had a hard time getting the pattern...they sent my first one for a sedan delivery .

Old 09-26-2013, 12:32 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
I've only had this cover for less than a year. I bought the Noah cover because the goal is eventually to get the Panel inside the garage. Until then, this cover will suffice. I'm also thinking about getting one for the 51 and the Airflow, but the Airflow is always garaged.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:23 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
It don't look like they really fixed your mirror pockets, it looks like they sewed VW bug covers on the side of your Panel cover. But hey it works, make sure it gets tied down good or the wind will catch Dumbos ears and you will be without a cover, again.

Quick Reply: About to throw in the towel