1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Oil leak turns into a disaster....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah sorry about that I gave notice to you when you said it.... Just didn't respond so.

After sticking my fingers in there I can feel the bottom of the rods. I would appreciate photos of what it looks like in there. Leaving work early today to get the cutting and removal done tonight...

I need to go find a replacement part for this. I'm hoping napa might have it. Figure thats the best bet.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I doubt NAPA will have it but good luck anyway. I am guessing it is going to be dealer only. Riffraff has them too I believe.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I don't have any decent pictures with me right now and it may be close to 8 before I get home tonight, but these are a few I was able to glean from the web:

This is a pretty decent one. Not mine, but I think you get the idea.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Once again thank you very much for the photos.

I will give tham a call at here at lunch and see if they even carry it. I'm betting your right that I need to head to Ford for one... Man I wish I could have avoided this!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I think there are some lower end pictures on the BKP build thread.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
The only good news so far is FORD had the entire thing for 53 bucks, nuts gasket and inner "nut". Napa no go but I swear every time I call I get the tool who works there on the phone. Rest of the guys are very helpfull.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Talyn
I think there are some lower end pictures on the BKP build thread.
You are correct sir! Good call, green beans sent... And here they are for further reference:

Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I gots the 411 on the useless info brohammer!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Question for you guys. So i got in there tonight with a mirror and could not pinpoint it with my light or with the clamp or bang it around with the magnet. Its below the baffle.

I got to thinking about an oil fire right before I cut. I stopped and got to thinking if the damn thing is below the oil baffle then how could it harm anything? What if its left in there? Will it even be possible to harm any thing or even plug the sump?

Is it worth even going in and pulling it out?

Sort of worried with an oil fire and the welder...not sure if this is possible but i'm also not sure how I could even put it out if it started.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Well I just spent 5 and a half hours and every imaginable way to try to get that damn thing out of there... I'm fed up.

I now am convinced that welding is a bad idea since I do not know exactly how I would properly extinguish a fire if it started in the pan... not sure if there is even enough oxygen to do so but I am not going to find out after my truck burns down that I shouldn't have done it.

Really debated cutting the cross member... not doing that either...I know that thing is below the baffle and I am not going after it. Read more about strictly diesels adapter....and I said eff it... I'm not turning this into a two day project for 300 bucks... I can go work to pay for it on Saturday and just be done with it when the other adapter shows....

I love working on vehicles but I do get sick of burning hours on fixing mundayne bs that would not have to be fixed if the a-hole who did it in the first place did it right...

Sorry for the rant but I'm a bit burnt out and pissed off after wasting all that time....

Old 06-21-2012, 10:34 PM
mojoman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is an o-ring on that piece...wonder if the oil may effect it???

would maybe cause more probs????

did you try with a coathanger bent with a hook on one end???

just musing here...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mojoman
there is an o-ring on that piece...wonder if the oil may effect it???

would maybe cause more probs????

did you try with a coathanger bent with a hook on one end???

just musing here...
No I agree that really does bother me however I'd expect there is a screen on the pickup that would prevent any major intrusion. Yeah this has me worried. I don't even know if there was one on their originally with all the jb weld on there. I told myself I will try to fish it out one more time with a hanger before I can the effort.

Not sure how big that o ring was though. Fiber optic cable would make this a sinch :-)

Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Holding the o-ring in place is a challenge though.
Tried twice and failed both times. I would like to watch it being done with success. I'll only believe it if I see it. Maire Tex is still holding!

I would leave the damn thing in there, I can't see how it would or could hurt anything. As far as the O rings, the oil pickup tube's screen will catch it. I feel for you, lets put the designer at the bottom of the ocean!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just for the record I think cutting and welding will just add a bunch of slag and metal particles to the engine. It was good that you didn't go that route.

richard

edt: you know I looked at it briefly... How hard is pulling the engine really? Doesn't look too bad if you pull the radiator support.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were that dead set on cutting a hole and welding, you could always run a hose of compresed Co2 in the pan to get rid of all oxygen. That what we do when we weld on fuel tanks.

Quick Reply: Oil leak turns into a disaster....