Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

purging

Old 05-07-2003, 08:04 AM
concretedude
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy purging

I have a 97, powerstroke that has a purging problem. I can drive down the road and all the sudden the truck will cough once or twice. It will shut off the cruise control when it is on. It started when the weather got real cold. I started plugging the heater in and the purging wasn't as bad but with the truck warmed up it still does it. The problem is so bad I condered buying a Dodge. (I know I should be shot.) This is a real problem when towing my bobcat. I have changed my fuel filter 2 times in the last 3,000 miles. Any help will be appreated.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:45 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
purging

Sounds like a camshaft position sensor problem. If you replace it, the official term is CMP sensor from Ford and CAMP sensor from International. A lot of guys use the abbreviation CPS, but that doesn't apply to Ford or International. If you buy it from International you will save yourself some money.

Old 05-08-2003, 10:28 PM
jdcook00
New User
purging

The base part # for a ford cam sensor is 12k073 and they call it a syncronizer. Also watch your tach. when it starts acting up. If your tach drops suddenly and then pops back up you may have a cam sensor problem. If you can test it, cmp codes are p0340,p0344. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2003, 01:27 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
purging

As often as not you won't have any codes at all. The system simply thinks you turned the key off momentarily then back on again. Just change the cam position sensor but don't buy it from Ford (too expensive). Go to your nearest International dealer and get it for about half the Ford price.

Search this Thread