Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Ratchet brands (now with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Ratchet brands (now with pics)

Are all snap on tools made in china now, or just the blue point junk? Is Matco still on par with snap on, or what snap on was? I don't like the dial selector on SK and Wright. I'm sick of Craftsman ratchets failing in a month of "homeowner useage" and the crappy rebuilds my local Sears is giving me in exchange. I had to refuse three 1/4" ratchets because they all slipped worse than the one I was exchanging.

I want a lever selector, 70+ teeth/~5* would be nice, fixed head and a comfort grip. 3/8" about 7-10" long and 1/2" about 12-15" long. Snap On and Matco are each $150-160, are they worth it? What other brands should I be looking at?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snap On branded junk at Costco is made in China.

Snap On branded tools on the tool truck are made in the USA.

Blue Point, well, they're sourced where ever is cheapest. I have a 15" and 18" crescent wrenches made in Spain.

No experience with Matco.

Mac Tools are good, but for me, dealer support sucks, so the only option for me is Snap On. All of their new 3/8 and 1/2" drive ratchets have 80 teeth, about a 5 degree sweep. Definitely worth the money.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I'd look at Wright Tools, Barberton Ohio:Wright Tool - Barberton Ohio - USA based, high quality, innovative hand tool manufacturer

They're one of the best tools I've ever used, have a great warranty and yes still made in the USA! Not too sure about the dealer network in your local area but they're all over eBay, Amazon and any number of other great online retailers.

FWIW I own a selection of their torque wrenches and would be hard pressed to pay Snap On's cost for virtually the same quality tool. Mind you I'm a bit of a Snap On snob, don't mind paying for their better tools but getting right down to it sometimes the name isn't everything.

HTH

Old 06-19-2012, 01:47 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Went with Snap On, got 1/2 and 3/8 ratchets. If they're the bee's-knees, I've already scoped out the bent 3/8 and a 1/4.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:25 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Yeah, they're great.

I have a 24" 1/2" drive flex head ratchet, broke the handle last week. Waiting on parts. But I had an apprentice that evidently didn't know how a ratchet worked and he kept breaking the square drive off. All covered under warranty.

Then I have a 12" or so 3/8" drive flex head ratchet, and a 9" or so regular. Haven't broken them yet.

All of those are before the 80 tooth design.

My flex head 1/4" drive ratchet has a dial switch, but it rotates 360 degrees on a swivel. That one's been rebuilt several times because I overdo it on the torque.

But my latest ones are basically palm ratchets. One 4" 3/8" flex head, and a 4" 1/4" regular but with a 3/8" drive square. Both are 80 tooth. I bought these specifically for adjusting clutches on Volvo trucks, but I keep finding new uses for them.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:51 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

I wasn't sure about the comfort grip handles, I wasn't sure if they were super-squishy or hard plastic, but they're a nice middle ground. Textured but firm, and seems like they'll hold up.

This is the first time I've bought Snap-On, if their wrenches are as heads-and-shoulders better than the store brands as their ratchets..... I'm in trouble.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:31 AM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Looks like you're in trouble then. I upgraded to Snap On wrenches from Husky and Craftsman few years ago. I have my Husky wrenches at home, and my Craftsman wrenches at work for backup to my Snap On wrenches. And when I have to work on something at home, I bring my Snap On stuff.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel

This is the first time I've bought Snap-On, if their wrenches are as heads-and-shoulders better than the store brands as their ratchets..... I'm in trouble.
Yeah you're definitely in trouble then! I will offer eBay is a great shopping area if you're looking to save a few bucks on Snap On stuff. Most is still in good, sometimes almost new condition and being sold by someone who needs cash or wants to upgrade to other items. That's just an option though.....

Snap On is good stuff and there's just not much better out there!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:43 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
For the feel in your hand, it is hard to beat the Snappys... I have warrantied many tools, even just wear on the ratchet head is warrantied.

Bigrigfixer, is the apprentice using a big cheater bar? I have never managed to break off the square drive on a Snap on, and have abused them for over 20 years...

Old 06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

I don't know how he did it, as I've never broken a square drive off either.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I've twisted the drive lug off a few good quality ratchets, Mac Tools from the 80's and within the last few years one of my Wright brand. Both just twisted off under usual torque, no cheater bars or such. The breaks were clean which might suggest just a bad part in the mechanism.

It does happen even with the best brands.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I will offer eBay is a great shopping area if you're looking to save a few bucks on Snap On stuff.
Not all that familiar with Snap On but if some is sourced from China, how can you tell online if you are getting the good stuff from USA? What can you look for to be able to tell the difference?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Typically Snap On is USA made, at least their hand tools although a lot of electronic gear they're selling comes from China, etc.

If you find a Snap On part number go to their site where the country of origin is listed in its description. For example check out these three items:

Chinese made, indicated in the Product Specifications area: RTEMP25PB, Thermometer, Infrared, Automotive Diagnosis (w/Plastic Case)

Blue Point brand, Taiwanese: BOERS10, Wrench, Ratcheting Box / Open End, Short, 15° Offset, 5/16", 12-Point

And finally USA made: SOEX10, Wrench, Combination, Standard Length, FLANK DRIVE® PLUS, 5/16", 12-Point

With eBay its probably a good idea to simply contact the seller and ask directly. Most Snap On owners/seller are knowledgeable about their tools and happy to share such info.

HTH

Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Even though some Snap On stuff is made in China, they still stand behind their tools. You won't find a better company to deal with when it comes to warranty. Mind you, a lot of that depends on your dealer, but I've had good ones over the years.

It might be expensive, over priced? sure. But even the little plastic packaging that comes with a socket set is top notch. There's a magnet in the bottom of the "throw away" packaging in case you decide to use it as socket storage, rather than throwing it out.

But if you were able to get your hands on a knock-off Snap On tool (ie, one not authorized) you'd be able to tell pretty quickly.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I agree there are few if any other brands as good quality as Snap On, especially in the vehicle repair segment. I prefer buying USA made tools because they represent jobs in this country, not elsewhere.

Snap On has added internet sales to supposedly augment the dealers in trucks, they even offer free shipping on most items in the catalog. I'll find a new item, call a local dealer and have them place the order which in turn is shipped from and by Snap On directly to me. The dealer gets the credit for the sale, I get my tools dropped off reasonably quickly. (I should probably mention I'm a 100% mobile repair business so don't have a regular Snap On rep visiting me.)

Quick Reply: Ratchet brands (now with pics)