NEWB!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:15 PM
JMalmy21..00/7.3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEWB!!

Gentlemen,

I am new to this sight and a PROUD new owner of a '00 F-250 7.3L Powerstroke. Truck came w a 6" lift and some 16" Weld Wheels wrapped in 35" tires. As far as my mods go, that is it....starting from ground zero. I just purchased 4" from the turbo back SS exhaust and now looking into a tuner and intake system. Other things I am considering adding on at this point and time is that "wicked wheel" (love that damn high pitched sound the turbo gives off), buuuuuut I want to make sure that I am not wastin my money, or going to do anything that will "hurt" my truck. Some threads I have been reading are saying that I need to invest in gauges. Are they referring to the pillar gauges or the gauges that come w the tuner?

FUTURE UPGRADES:
Headlight Housing/ Delete all amber/Convert to HID system
Tail Lights (Upgrade to LED)
Replace front and back bench seats
Line X Spray in Bed Liner
Replace Deck and all speaker
Add Fog and Back Up Lights
Turbo Upgrade (38r..not sure what I want)
Waste Gate Valve (Banks Big Head)
.... Appreciate any and all info from yall!!

Thanks,

Jeremy

Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
WELCOME to FTE...
you will want aftermarket guages such as Isspro, there are a lot to choose from..personally the first would be pyrometer,fuel pressure,trans temp (if auto)..then boost

Old 06-10-2012, 07:35 PM
JMalmy21..00/7.3
Junior User
My Mom might be getting rid of her Pillar gauges as her new tuner system has everything right there on her screen.. Would snaggin hers suffice the aftermarket gauge need that I have? Or when I purchase my PHP Tuner, I can just make a whole package deal out of it...

Jeremy

Old 06-10-2012, 07:41 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

You did good coming here before you spend money for something that will not help your truck. Give this guy a call and he will help you with everything we will tell you to do. Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts | Ford 7.3 diesel | 7.3 powerstroke | Ford Powerstroke | 7.3L Powerstroke Parts?.

Do it right the first time. Congrats on you getting this truck. Read, read and you will learn. These guys have tried everything and know what works for your 7.3.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the Powerstroke Diesel World!

You are better off to get gauges that are separate from the tuner. I assume you want PHP tunes and will be using a 6 position chip?

Grab the gauges from your mom and then upgrade if you want something different. I also recommend ISPPRO gauges as they install easily and look great.

Only recommendation I have for you is to relax on buying anything until you determine a few things.

1) What do you want to do with the truck?
2) What do you want to spend?

Knowing this allows you to build your truck up to what you want and hopefully only buy something once. Don't waste your money on a WW if you plan to upgrade your turbo anyway.

We have all bought something we think is what we need, then we find out later that it wasn't what we needed or there was a better option out there. Before asking the "What do I need" question, search around and ask questions about what you find and ask "Is this a good option for .......". The brotherhood here will chime in and provide opinions. Remember they are just that! For the most part you will get great guidance. We all pride ourselves on helping out, that may mean helping your wallet get lighter too!

Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 PM
c125bob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, you are in the right place for good help and guidance. This bunch will help you spend some money !!!

Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 PM
JMalmy21..00/7.3
Junior User
Thanks guys!

Well my entire family all rock trailers when we go camping. I figure what I will be building my truck up for will be to tow: Trailer, Boat, Sea Doos, Quads, and my ZX6R. There are other toys that I want to invest in, but they all fall under the water/dirt toy category. The PHP Phoenix 6 position is exactly what I have had my eye on. There are 2 different chips tho. one for lightly modded and one for heavily modded. My truck is an auto so I know that I will be upgrading and redoing my tranny at some point. Stick w the light modded chip?? I guess experienced opinions are what will help me decide if i will need to upgrade my turbo and all that jazz. Like yall have stated, youre nothing but experience and help for young 7.3 diesel owners as myself.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A BIG WELCOME to FTE!!

Bill at PHP will steer you right. There are different tunes depending on what you do with your truck. A good intake and exhaust should be first. Clay at RiffRaff has a lot of good stuff available, along with great advice. I know something that many guys here may or may not know about is an Edge Insight CTS instead of gauges. The only thing you need to install with it is a pyro probe that you need to drill and tap a hole in one of the exhaust manifolds. You can monitor a lot of different things with just one box. It also reads codes and you can clear them with it too.

Remember, you don't have to do this all at once! But you certainly can if you want! As I said before, welcome!!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:41 PM
JMalmy21..00/7.3
Junior User
LOL thank you **CS John**... I have already purchased my exhaust. Now working on my intake.. thinking about purchasing a S&B. Havent heard much about them, seems like most people run aFe stage 2/boost or 6637. Some people tell me its like exhaust, personal preference. But I want the best lol especiall since i am not into doing things cheaply..

Old 06-10-2012, 08:48 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
RiffRaff sells a 6637 kit complete. It is very functional. I have them on all 3 of my trucks. Add Petes cover for about an extra 20 bucks or so and it adds a little bling! The AFE is a great system. Costs more, but you'll be happy with it I'm sure. One thing to keep in mind, if you like the turbo whistle, you may prefer the 6637. The AFE does cover up some of that sound. Some prefer a quieter cab, others like the whistle.

BTW, John is good enough for me.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 PM
JMalmy21..00/7.3
Junior User
how about the s&b system?? and pillar gauges are so damn expensive!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

I have the S&B Intake on mine. I like it and it keeps the motor clean and breathing right.

Gauges do cost money, but they protect your investment. Well worth it when modding your truck, also very good for troubleshooting too!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 PM
JMalmy21..00/7.3
Junior User
I know youre right. Since I am starting my new job on the 18th of this month (permanent and WAY more money) I cant do much till then. But im figuring ill be changing my gears, new tranny, upgraded turbo.. ill definitely have a separate pillar/over head mount gauges installed along w a monitor w my tuner. im gunna do it right the first time and not screw around.. do you want to change your intake at all or are you completely happy w it?

Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

I like the S&B Intake. It will flow enough air for the factory turbo and a 38R. If I go with a bigger turbo than that, I have heard it may fall short in the flow department. That however has not been proven yet. I would probably keep it until I could determine it isn't enough. I have never had the filter minder trip since I installed it.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 PM
JMalmy21..00/7.3
Junior User
Thats good to know. Now that I (and pretty much you, and anyone who reads this) know what I want to do to my truck and what I want to use my truck for..... the S&B should be good enough til they have conclusive evidence that it cant hold up in the flow dept. gtp38r ball bearing turbo, bellowed up-pipes, banks big head waste gate, S&B Intake, 4" SS turbo back exhaust, PHP Phoenix 6position chip, pillar gauges, CS monitor, CCV mod... i feel like thats a pretty decent set up? any thoughts???

Quick Reply: NEWB!!