6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How do I know my EGTs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I know my EGTs?

I have an 2012 F350 SRW 6.7. I tow a 5th wheel trailer. The gauges show me my trans and oil temp, and the idiot gauges show me coolant temp. But I can't find anything that shows me my EGTs? What is the best way to get this information? I don't really want to get a tuner. Is there something I can get that just shows me the information via my OBD port? I've got a big trip coming up and I know that one of the grades I will be facing is 10 degrees up hill (just outside of Jackson, Wy. Any help, guidance, recommendations, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
"CTS insight" is probably what your looking for

Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 06-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Looks Nice

That Edge Insight does look nice. It seems to have way more than what I need. I'm afriad I would spend all my time playing with it and not pay attention to my driving But, it is now on my list of possibles. Thanks!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 PM
mrjc
Senior User
There are 3 EGT sensors post engine downstream. You can monitor all of them with the edge. The optimum place to get exhaust gas temp is the exhaust manifold. Since those are in the engine valley, it would be very hard to get at the good spot, then drilling a hole there for the probe would be a bad idea if shavings fell in. I am trying to tap members for info who have the edge. If the EGT gets too high, the PCM will take over and trim the fuel back until the engine cools. You have no control over that.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mrjc
There are 3 EGT sensors post engine downstream. You can monitor all of them with the edge. The optimum place to get exhaust gas temp is the exhaust manifold. Since those are in the engine valley, it would be very hard to get at the good spot, then drilling a hole there for the probe would be a bad idea if shavings fell in. I am trying to tap members for info who have the edge. If the EGT gets too high, the PCM will take over and trim the fuel back until the engine cools. You have no control over that.
So, if the PCM will trim the fuel back, then it is not possible to get the EGTs too high. I'm so confused! At every RV park I go with my truck and trailer I have folks asking me if I know what my EGTs are. They make it seem like if you don't know what they are you are risking severe damage to your truck. But, if the PCM controls this then why do I need to worry about it? I know that seems very simple, and I'm sure the answer is more complicated, but if I am about to spend the money for something like the EDGE then I want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 PM
mrjc
Senior User
Im hoping one of the resident techs tells me what temp that is. I want to set an alarm in my Edge Insight when I get 100 degrees from that number so I can take over rather than the computer. EGTs are not a problem in a stock vehicle, tuners make the EGT go high so I monitored them in 6.0L with tunes. I think the EGTs in the exhaust can get to 1100 degrees during an active regen. The only to get a good reading in the 6.7 would be to drill a hole in the manifold and insert a pyrometer probe and attach that to an analog EGT gauge or a Digital unit like the Edge product. Getting to the manifold would be very difficult and drilling a hole there would introduce shavings...very bad!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
I think I understand

Originally Posted by mrjc
Im hoping one of the resident techs tells me what temp that is. I want to set an alarm in my Edge Insight when I get 100 degrees from that number so I can take over rather than the computer. EGTs are not a problem in a stock vehicle, tuners make the EGT go high so I monitored them in 6.0L with tunes. I think the EGTs in the exhaust can get to 1100 degrees during an active regen. The only to get a good reading in the 6.7 would be to drill a hole in the manifold and insert a pyrometer probe and attach that to an analog EGT gauge or a Digital unit like the Edge product. Getting to the manifold would be very difficult and drilling a hole there would introduce shavings...very bad!
So, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that since I have a stock truck, no tunes, etc., then I should let the truck's PCM just do its business and I won't have to worry about EGTs. Correct?

Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You still want the CTS. It gives you oil temp, transmission temps, egt's, boost and others.

You can never have too much information especially when towing a trailer.

I thought I didn't need it but I like having all that information. I know I'm in control then if anything starts to happen.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 AM
mrjc
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greengas
So, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that since I have a stock truck, no tunes, etc., then I should let the truck's PCM just do its business and I won't have to worry about EGTs. Correct?
Agreed. I tow my 5th wheel toyhauler in mountains. I watch the oil and tranny temps while I am climbing so as not to overdue it, but a real monitering system like the edge, gives me the opportunity to look at many things and in the 6.7 I want to see if soot buildup is going on due to my driving habits and if the regens are working since the dang thing starts regen everytime I pull up to my house. 300 bucks is a good investment to me since I pull a heavy trailer up hills. If you tow a lot, and your curious and feel better about knowing what is happening other than oil and tranny. Edge insight is really a whole bunch of gauges and it only monitors, not tunes. It wont void your warranty. Your stock truck is fine with just the stock gauges and the PCM wont let you hurt the engine if you watch your tranny temp and oil, drain your DFCM and use a good lubricity additive in the tank.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i look at it like this: Ford built this truck to tow, and not worry about it. And not worry about EGT. Unless you have a tuned set up, you shouldnt be worrying about it. If they thought you should be, there would be provisions for it. Just like they provide oil / trans temp info. Also, the computer knows, and if a temp is out of tolerance, the trucks knows how to react accordingly. It will reduce power and tell you its pissed.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Delta Zulu
New User
I agree with Tuxedo Scorpion.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree as well, don't even think about them

Old 06-10-2012, 12:52 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Yes, these truck computers are programmed to take care of itself in stock mode.
However, if you're a gadget person, the CTS is a nice addition for real-time truck information.
I have a CTS because I wanted one.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i agree with that. it would be cool if there was some kind of upgrade you could buy for the PCM that would give you way more info like egts, chts, tpms, etc...

Quick Reply: How do I know my EGTs?