6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Pull the trigger or not??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pull the trigger or not??

This or similar has probably been asked countless times before but I'm on pins & needles wondering what in hell to do.

Currently have '06 F350 6.0L 4x4 CC,LB,Lariat that requires extensive repair (head gaskets, EGR & oil cooler, etc. - the overheat/coolant puking horror issue) thats going to run me anywhere from $7500-$10K to have the job done right. I pull a 10K fiver which I can't do right now given the situation and have several trips planned for this summer. After I broke the news to my wife she said to hell with that noise time for you to get a new 6.7 Stroker. She feels better putting $7500 downpayment on new versus a repair bill. I'm betting most of you in my situation would probably already be down at your nearest dealer.

However, I'm undecided as (1) I haven't spec'd out new PSD's in years, (2) the $10K versus ~$60K for new is quite a big chunk to swallow either way, and (3) going the repair option does not guarantee me problem free for the next year or two...warranty expired long ago. I bought the truck in '09 used, never had a problem until now and still owe alittle.

I guess even with new I could still run into problems (much less severe I would hope) but maybe better piece of mind. I dunno, my head is spinning . If I go the new route it will be a 2012 F-350 6.7L, CC, LB, 4x4, Lariat.

What would you do or perhaps need to consider? Any thoughts appreciated.
(I apologize up front if this is incorrect forum)

Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought my 6.0 new go rid of it becuase of the problems even with everthing deleted and head studs tuner the 6.7 is much beter at towing stock I dont regret it at all My wife is pleased riding in new but duaghter wants the loud open exhuast back Do whatever you think is right

Old 06-09-2012, 06:50 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try to get a good price for your six-oh and move into a new 2012-13.

Actually, the biggest financial pinch in my mind is getting the new fifth wheel hitch rails and you probably should get air bags for the rear axle unless you are looking at a dually, even then, the new trucks are wimpy in the rear spring packs. You will also need new shocks right away.

But, the new trucks are very good, you will appreciate the ride, quiet, 6 speed tranny, the nav is great (my opinion), economy is great, power is great.

350 SRW? That's what I think you should do.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You are right, I would be at the dealer right now. Alas, my 6.0 is still runnin. They are advertising 10,000 off right now, negotiation should be able to get you a fair way towards the new truck with trade in, ford financing, paying taxes on the difference only, it may not be that bad. Can you get an x plan number, or can you negotiate hard. 500 over their invoice cost less trade in value on a broken truck is a good deal for you, I would suggest you can get close to that but you have to be a hard negotiator. Remember they can do the repairs for you at better than half price, they will make money on your old truck one way or the other.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Remember they can do the repairs for you at better than half price, they will make money on your old truck one way or the other.
not exactly how that works. kind of but not really. see sales has to pay service most shops bill internial repairs at retail. so the sales dept would either whole sale it or pay full cost repair.
yes at the end of the day the money all comes and goes from the same pockets I get that too but ...

Old 06-09-2012, 12:04 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Hope the 06 is covered under an extended warranty. Happy shopping.

A 100,000 mile, seven year, $50 deductable extended warranty on my new 2011 was a few dollars over $2,000.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 PM
lundman
Senior User
trigger

Only you can decide what to do but there is a big difference between the old truck and the new truck. The old truck hasn't given you any trouble but you might put 10 k in and have other problems creep up down the road. Your budget will help you decide but ya only live once and having the 6.7 with power, mileage, and quietness in pretty darn nice. Decisions are always easier in retrospect but for me, a new truck might be in the works. And if you can fix the old truck, then sell it to recoup something towards the new truck purchase if it is worthwhile. I sweated bullets too buying my truck. Listed for 76 up here in Canada but I have the money. I just felt like that is a lot of $ for a pick up truck. The diesel is 10 grand more but the resale for a diesel is a factor too. Good luck with your choice not matter what you decide. And Ford has diesels for a lot less than what I paid. Just have to watch the option list.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:32 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had a 6.0 liter, own a 6.4 now and we have a 6.7 in the family. by far the 6.7 is the best out of all three. My regen issues on the 6.4 made me remove the DPF and since then I have been happy with it. even with that removed the 6.7 gets better mileage and has a more in tune tranny to engine transition. Even going over the mountains with a load the mpg's are unbelievable. the 6.4 is close to mpg's with about 2000 dollars worth of addons until you tow something. the 6.7 is just unbelievable on mileage and pulling.

as far as a 6.0 liter is concerned they are ticking time bombs. both mine and my brother in laws had about 12,000 in repairs at one time or another. His was stock so that isnt really a factor. Ulitmately up to you but you will be extremely happy if you decide to get a new one. they also have a lot of incentives right now.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies! I went down to the dealer today and had a long discussion on my options. Took a 2012 F350 CC, LB, Lariat Ultimate for a test drive and freakin luv'd it. WoW!! Talk about quiet, smooth yet feels very powerful. Quite a difference under the hood. Yes, they do indeed have a boat load of incentives right now and the one I drove is listed $14K off msrp.

Do any of you who have a 2012 have the dual alternator vs the heavy duty one?

Yea, thats my greatest fear of dumping $10K into it only to have more costly repairs several months down the road. That I cannot afford.

*cheezit,
Yes, thats more or less how the sales guy described the repair work. I get what you are implying.

They want to run some diags before negotiating a trade but said they definitely want my old truck as they currently have no used PSD's on their lot. I'm sure they'll still make money on it. Once they make an assessment on my old truck, juggle the finance numbers around, I'll make a Go/No-go decision.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:13 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by desertnomad
Thanks for all the replies! I went down to the dealer today and had a long discussion on my options. Took a 2012 F350 CC, LB, Lariat Ultimate for a test drive and freakin luv'd it. WoW!! Talk about quiet, smooth yet feels very powerful. Quite a difference under the hood. Yes, they do indeed have a boat load of incentives right now and the one I drove is listed $14K off msrp.

Do any of you who have a 2012 have the dual alternator vs the heavy duty one?

Yea, thats my greatest fear of dumping $10K into it only to have more costly repairs several months down the road. That I cannot afford.

*cheezit,
Yes, thats more or less how the sales guy described the repair work. I get what you are implying.

They want to run some diags before negotiating a trade but said they definitely want my old truck as they currently have no used PSD's on their lot. I'm sure they'll still make money on it. Once they make an assessment on my old truck, juggle the finance numbers around, I'll make a Go/No-go decision.
If u do get extended warranty they have alot gasgets that can be costly repairs

Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head gasket repairs will cost the dealer about 2200 in labor and parts. just keep that in mind if that is your issue during negotiations.

as for keeping versus trading in, once things start to go and you replace them, the new parts operate at 100% which causes the older parts to start to fail. had this happen on the two we owned. Its either fold or go all in on these 6.0 liters.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:08 PM
rob92761
Mountain Pass
I was in the same boat, had 6.0 with 150,000 on it. Got cold feet with the truck and did not trust it anymore. Sold it before I had to stick any money into and bought a new 2012 F 250. The only thing that I am not sure on the new truck is the auto tranny; all my other trucks had straight sticks. I will admit who every designed the tranny was thinking the tow/haul feature is excellent on the highway and the manual mode is great for going thought town. I just hope it last as long as my old manual tranny did.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:44 PM
lundman
Senior User
trading

Yea, the new ones are nice to drive and we all get stary eyed once we take them for a spin. Sure would look nice in the driveway.

Remember that you shouldn't discuss a trade with the dealership until after you set a price for the new truck. And really what the dealer will give you will suck big time and rip you off, thus they make profits twice, once on the new truck and then on the old truck. When I bought mine the dealer wanted my old truck but offered a ridiculously low price. He came up a bit but I sold the truck privately without too much trouble and got more than twice the price he was offering me and it didn't take long. I just sold it for what I knew it would sell for.

Once I was stuck and had to trade and buy and I regret it. I was totally ripped off and I felt like I was well, a dummy. I was moving to a new job though and was stuck. Never again.

Good luck with the new truck. Sounds like you will get it. If it is possible, take a little time and sell the old truck at a fair price and you will probably get it.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:47 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
Trigger pulled!!!

After a bunch of wheelin dealin I'm now a proud owner of 2012 F350 6.7 4X4 CC, LWB, Lariat Ultimate FX4 . Now I'll spend the next month or two reading & learning about it.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by desertnomad
After a bunch of wheelin dealin I'm now a proud owner of 2012 F350 6.7 4X4 CC, LWB, Lariat Ultimate FX4 . Now I'll spend the next month or two reading & learning about it.
Fantastic! Welcome to the club!

Sam

Quick Reply: Pull the trigger or not??