Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing CAT Converters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
Interesting... Id have to know more bout the SOCAL program before I comment, but here in the bay there is no such program. I can say with certainty, that this is were it would start if it were a state wide program. I dont see it catching on since emissions testing is not even required in many many counties here in Cali. As I said before, there are legal options available so you dont need to worry about the sniffing natzi's! DB codes are a whole different story.
Hate to break it to you, but they already are in the Bay Area. Proof:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/archiv...p/t-34233.html

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=342643

Smog checkpoint in Walnut Creek - which, last I checked, was a Bay Area town, no?

It's there, it's statewide, and denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 PM
IowanStraight6
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so say if one of us midwest guys was visiting with a cat on would we have to pass smog in cali??

Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by IowanStraight6
so say if one of us midwest guys was visiting with a cat on would we have to pass smog in cali??
Don't know. Do know if you are stopped with a CA license at one of those even with a car registered out of state they will smog your car.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Shanemh
Senior User
I've never heard of anything like this and I live in SF Bay area.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Shanemh
I've never heard of anything like this and I live in SF Bay area.

What, you think they're going to publicize it and lose their fines when everyone goes in compliance???? At $2500 a shot, hell no.

It does exist, it's run by the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair and the CHP, and it's out there. Just look at any of the big car forums (especially import and tuner forums) with a good CA representation. You'll see lots of people passing the word as to where those things are on any given day. Yes, even the Bay Area.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 AM
Plain Jane
Senior User
Bunch of smog ****'s out in the golden state.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM
bobbyjo9
Senior User
Wow that is close... Walnut creek is eastbay so only a matter of time till its here on the West side. Still odd that less than 100 miles away, there is no emissions testing but I guess that may be in the works also? All the more reason to pay the extra for the Cali specific parts. Guess thats the price we pay for no rust! LOL

Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM
bobbyjo9
Senior User
Also... did you read through what you posted? interesting attachement http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...8_10_2010l.pdf <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Also... did you read through what you posted? interesting attachement http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...8_10_2010l.pdf <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Yup, I did. You can 'refuse' but then they just summons you to have it smog checked anyway. Assuming the cop stopping you can't smell or hear a violation, which he probably will, and that gives him probable cause. That's also what happens with those roadside vans - if you drive past one and it thinks you're polluting, chemically or aurally, you get a summons.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM
bobbyjo9
Senior User
A summons?? No, you get to go in for a smog check... which you need to do every two years in certain areas already. I read nothing in that PDF that indicated any fines or citations being isued. Not even mandatory that you comply with the test. Maybe it's in the wording, but all i got from it is more an evauation of the current program. I guess time will tell to see where this action goes. I drive the heaviest congested areas in the SF bayarea and still yet to see one of these test locations. My guess would be they are still very limited on there coverage. Since I am compliant, my only worry would be the time wasted. Bayarea drivers are not known for tolerance on the roadway in regards to traffic jams!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Shanemh
Senior User
A summons?? No, you get to go in for a smog check... which you need to do every two years in certain areas already. I read nothing in that PDF that indicated any fines or citations being isued. Not even mandatory that you comply with the test. Maybe it's in the wording, but all i got from it is more an evauation of the current program. I guess time will tell to see where this action goes. I drive the heaviest congested areas in the SF bayarea and still yet to see one of these test locations. My guess would be they are still very limited on there coverage. Since I am compliant, my only worry would be the time wasted. Bayarea drivers are not known for tolerance on the roadway in regards to traffic jams!
So, if I did run with no cat and let's just say one of those check points pull me in, i can refuse to get checked. And then they will send me to get a smog check, which I can swap my straight pipe for the cat before I go, and I'm good right?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Originally Posted by IowanStraight6
No, nothing to worry about visiting. Never has been, never will be.

Now if you bring it here to register it, then it has to be OEM, either 49 or CA, whatever it was from the factory, and then you would be subject to the sniffer or inspection.

------------------

I'm not sure about the sniffer. Beats the $60-100 & lost half day every two years for the inspection, but what's to say you don't end up there anyway because of false positives or other problems? Glad they are testing it in the north if they have to test it at all.....

Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Shanemh
So, if I did run with no cat and let's just say one of those check points pull me in, i can refuse to get checked. And then they will send me to get a smog check, which I can swap my straight pipe for the cat before I go, and I'm good right?
Why not just try another muffler?

As for power, your gains would be mostly at WOT at peak RPMs. How often do you run your motor like that?

Murphy is alive and well: "Anything that can leak, will leak."

Old 06-10-2012, 07:02 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
GLAD I live in Minnesota. We don't have inspections here. Can run straight pipes with no cats or mufflers and won't get checked or pulled over for it.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by minnesotafisherman
GLAD I live in Minnesota. We don't have inspections here. Can run straight pipes with no cats or mufflers and won't get checked or pulled over for it.
Don't all that noise scare the fish when you drive up to the lake?

Quick Reply: Removing CAT Converters?