Reporduction Sheet Metal ? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Reporduction Sheet Metal ?

Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.Smitty49 has a great reputation on FTE.
Reporduction Sheet Metal ?

Has anyone had any experience with Obsolete and Classic Auto Parts located in Oklahoma.
I've been researching replacement sheet metal ( fenders, cab panels, Etc) and I find front fenders alone are ranging in price from $299.00 to $400.00. I've read several threads mentioning most replace sheet metal is manufactured in China but in reading Obsoletes site I understand they produce their own parts from their own dies in house. Now whether their 'in-house 'refers to their own manufacturing facility in China or the USA, I've not found that info'.
With the Price range in mind, their price is much more pleasing to the pocket book if their fitment is comparable to OE I would certainly consider the parts from Obsolete.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM
38 coupe
Posting Guru
38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a great reputation on FTE.
I have no experience with their sheet metal. I have been displeased with their customer service in the past.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:06 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have bought items from them in the past. Most have been ok. Never bought sheet metal from them though. I second that their customer service leaves a bit to be desired. Typical automotive place that has heard it all and seen it all and seems to careless about your project and more about selling an item. Just my opinion of them, your experience may differ. I would get more details about the thickness of the steel (gauge), how it is coated. I have bought ok Chinese sheetmetal and also bought some nightmare stuff. Blue Oval stamps a lot of stuff these days for our trucks. Nowadays most sellers all get their stuff from the same manufacturer. I am leary when a seller claims they have their "own dies" due to the cost involved in stamping. Not too many people making parts out there. Honestly, I recommend scouring swap meets, etc. and finding good original steel, especially fenders, cabs, etc. I have seen great used fenders sell for $100 a piece and they will hold up well. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 PM
OK F1
Senior User
OK F1 has a good reputation on FTE.OK F1 has a good reputation on FTE.OK F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I buy a lot from them, but it is in large part because I am in Oklahoma City. Most of the small parts I've bought are from DC with their stickers over the label. Their sheet metal looks to be same quality as what I've seen from other vendors. EDP coated and looks pretty clean, but I can't comment on the gauge or fitment, since they are hanging on a wall. The offer complete front ends for effies, bumps and dents, but only the latter are put together.

The stuff they say is "in house" looks like northern classic stuff. Even the pics in the catalog look the same.

As car as the service goes, It's amazing how much better the customer service is when your standing across the counter from the sales associate.

Kreg

Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.teardropty has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by OK F1 View Post
The stuff they say is "in house" looks like northern classic stuff. Even the pics in the catalog look the same.

As car as the service goes, It's amazing how much better the customer service is when your standing across the counter from the sales associate.

Kreg
Good to know.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 AM
james G. phillips
Senior User
james G. phillips is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought my front fenders from them because they were coming to a local car show and I picked them up there to save the shipping cost. The thicknes (guage) is slightly thinner than stock. Fitment is pretty good after some tweaking, which I guess all the repops require.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 AM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Most of the "own dies" claims means they supplied the manufacturer overseas with the original sample part and contracted for a production run of parts. The dies are castings rather than machine steel, and are pressed rather than stamped. The softer dies are only as good as the original part and pressing makes "softer" bends, wear quicker, and there may no compensation done for metal thickness or spring back. Pressing also requires thinner metal.
Saying all that, even OEM replacement parts didn't fit perfectly back in the day. Expect tweaking to be required on any repro sheet metal part, the more complex the more tweaking is a good rule of thumb.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 AM
old uhaul
Senior User
old uhaul is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have built alot of trucks and used alot of the sheet metal and also sell it.All sheet metal needs some tweaking to fit.I have repaired many late model salvage vehicles and even new oem parts need some degree of tweaking because of different tollerences between vehicles.
I remember the days when there were no rust repair panels available and fixing a rusted out cab was next to impossible for all but the most experianced metal worker.