1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lucille's open apology

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:16 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
No apology needed!
You have a gorgeous truck. drive the tar out of it and ignore the morons
Sometimes the drapes don't match the rug! Not a big deal.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I concur, no apology needed. Everyone who complains about non-original or brand name parts in a project has never built one themselves and have no idea what's involved. And if they do, well then they need to take a step back and remember it's not their truck and it doesn't matter what powers it.

People are funny. I just got flamed for wanting to use a Dana60 front axle that was a passenger side drop. Everyone thought it was stupid to use a "Dodge axle" till I sort of pointed out that Dodge didn't make the axle, Dana did and supplied it to Dodge, just like they made the ones in a Ford. And that engine I want to put in? Not made by Ford but used by Ford, its no different.

SBC's are inexpensive and great engines. Who cares who made it if the parts are awesome. I bet those who complain probably used Chinese made parts rather than USA on their truck for costs but don't see it being any different than putting a good engine with a different builder under the hood in a truck. I personally like to see it like you got rid of all the names and companies like the world had forgotten them all, and then you just choose what is good and put those pieces together.

Beautiful truck btw... I sorta went on a rant again didn't I? lol

Old 06-02-2012, 04:09 AM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 49 will have a 289 in it when its done. My jeep yj has a 350 sbc. My 66 Fargo had a 365 caddy. They all made the same noise when I pushed the starter button or turned the key and they all went the same speed down the road when they were put in gear. I say that's got to be more important than anything. My dad used to say "Don't apologize to anyone for something you think is right"'

Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm a bit old fashioned and I really like the idea of 'stock' in these old trucks, BUT it's nearly impossible to do them completely stock and have a safe reliable vehicle to drive on a regular basis. Even Edith has some GM components (alternator) and the wheels are off a Dodge motorhome chassis, and of course I did convert her to 12V also. The truth is that if she didn't have a good running flathead when I got her, chances are she probably would have wound up with a SBC, as my buddy has a few of them built up laying around his shop.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 AM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who cares about someone's attitude. It's a beautiful truck, enjoy it.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 AM
wallster
Elder User
Technically I stuck that decal on there to be taken one of two ways, "sorry to disappoint you die-hard Ford guys" (ie. hey, no disrespect for you purists) and "hey look, it's a Chevrolet motor!" (ie. deal with it dude) It is a good subject here though because it open up some attitude discussion. Personally I think it looks cool because I didn't try to hide the engine with chrome valve covers and a chrome air cleaner. Since it was already put in there, I wanted it to look like we yanked it out of a 1962 Chevrolet, polished it up, and bolted it in. The reactions are funny to me, "Hey, it's a Chevy motor!" (stated while looking puzzled). The only weird part is when they segregate vehicles (at shows or events) by make, I just angle her in between the two brands.
Bottom line, I look at it like a nationality, you know when your Mom's folks came from Germany and your Dad's came over from England, Lucille's American!

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
user 367865976
5th Wheeling
I agree, it is a nice truck. Mine will have a 289/aod combo. I am going to get a lot of flack for the choices I make for the paint and body...which I intend to leave rusty and dented. The engine, chassis and interior will be decked out....everything that you cannot see from the outside!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 AM
wallster
Elder User
Originally Posted by straws
I agree, it is a nice truck. Mine will have a 289/aod combo. I am going to get a lot of flack for the choices I make for the paint and body...which I intend to leave rusty and dented. The engine, chassis and interior will be decked out....everything that you cannot see from the outside!
You should REALLY flip out the purists and drop a Ferarri engine in there!

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Old 06-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Here's an idea, get some Y-block T-bird aluminum valve covers, paint the engine red instead of orange, change the air cleaner, and then see what kind of reaction you get. A Y-block and an SBC look surprisingly similar.
True....but then the non-angled distributor would be the dead give-away!

Originally Posted by Lance Hogan
Wallster,

You will probably have to try and get used to the disappointing looks now and then. True blue Ford guys get ticked when they see anything other than a ford in a ford. Just the way we are wired I guess?
Yeah, I guess we're just wired that way.

I do the very same thing as you're describing....I can be really digging a nice truck at a show/cruise and the minute I see the SBC in it I loose interest quick and move on. But I would never say anything to the guy about it because, well, it's his truck to do with as he wishes. It just doesn't interest me in the slightest so I don't say anything and just move on.

Funny thing is, my Dad was a Chevy man but something changed in the wiring with me I guess. I ended up a Ford man.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I saw a '55 Chevy 3100 with a 289, the owner said that he has a ford with a 350 in it and everyone gave him ***** about it so he said he was always taught to turn the other cheek. So he built the Chevy... and parks them side by side at shows.

I'm not a brand follower... but I've owned more Chevy's then Fords... Just tell Lucille "She's beautiful and to strut her stuff!" and if someone doesn't like her keep on walking!

Old 06-02-2012, 12:33 PM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
It's such a stupid, trivial issue. It seems like we forgot what it was all about. In the '50s we stuffed Buick's, Olds, Caddy's and Chevy's into Fords as the norm.

Build and drive what you want.... I'm not interested in complying with someone else's expectations.....

Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everybody take a shot at me. I for one am tired of looking at the same old motors, use a little imagination!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:05 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I took my 52 to shows and opened up the hood, most guys tought and asked why I put a Chevy inline motor in my truck. Most of them, even the older guys, don't have a clue that Ford started putting in inline 6s in 52. The Chevy 216 and the Ford 215 are similar in appearance. I even had one guy try to debate me for 30 minutes that my truck had the Chevy 216. I finally agreed with him just so that he could leave.

It's your truck and the most important thing is that it rolls. Think of it as organ transplants in humans.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:12 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
Everybody take a shot at me. I for one am tired of looking at the same old motors, use a little imagination!
I dont think using a different brand of motor means you are not using your imagination. Its the total build and how you exicute your visions for your vehicle. There are plent of folks on here have great imaginations no matter what brand of motor they have and I for one love every one of those trucks and admire the talents here on FTE.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:23 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, I guess I'm a total outcast(won't be able to go to the True Blue Show) but I say if you want it,do. In the case of HOMADE I had a 94 Camaro Z28 and needed a front suspension, motor, trans and rear end to have a running pickup. Well guess what, I had no ideal that a tune-port injected 350 would get 21-22 mph and run like a scalded dog and handle like a go-cart and I'm loving every minute of it so do what you must do and have a ball with it, Garry aka HOMADE

Quick Reply: Lucille's open apology