Sponsored by: DP Tuner

rolled truck decisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Fsj 7.3 guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rolled truck decisions

Ok here's the deal I have a rolled 2000 f350 extended cab long box with a 7.3 and a 2002 the same only short box. The 02 smokes bad until the turbo spools up then cleans up. I believe it may be the injector module but I don't know for sure. I need to find out where the module is located and if the 00 and the 02 modules will be compatible. Any other ideas on diagnostics will be welcome since I don't have much experience with diesel engines I am however well experienced with gas engines and turbo systems and have built some nice rides so I am not a noob when it comes to wrenching. My original plan was to swap engines between the trucks but now that I have the 02 running I think it might be better to see if is fixable. Ps I'm not looking to part out anything till I get the 02 on the road since I might just make the 00 a bush buggy. I should also note that the 02 is new to me and it also has a cold start issue where I have to hit the glow plugs twice then crank the engine over a few seconds then hit the glow plugs a couple more times floor it and crank it and it usually starts after that but I think its tied in with the injector module problem. Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Fsj 7.3 guy
New User
Hmm nobody has any ideas?

Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Jump into the specific 7.3 forum and someone will jump all over it with suggestions.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 AM
Fsj 7.3 guy
New User
Thanks wallz probly a good idea I wasn't sure wich category would be better since both apply. Any mod care to move this over to 7.3 so I don't double post that would be great thanks.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Moved to the 7.3L forum!

Old 05-28-2012, 02:57 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't help, but here is a bump.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE. How long have you had the 02? Have you changed the oil yet? I doubt it's the IDM (injector driver module), but it's tucked up above the driver side front wheel well. Drop the fender liner and the IDM is hidden up in there.

For the cold start issue, keep in mind that the glow plug light on the dash has nothing to do with the time the glow plugs are actually on. Instead of cycling the key so many times, what happens if you just turn the key and leave it in the on position for 30 seconds? (the glow plugs will likely try to stay on the entire time). The most likely culprit would be a bad GPR (glow plug relay). Take a screwdriver and short it across the 2 large posts for 30 seconds and then get in and start the truck like it was a gasser (don't wait on the glow plug light). See if that makes a difference.

Picture of GPR for reference

Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Fsj 7.3 guy
The 02 smokes bad until the turbo spools up then cleans up. I believe it may be the injector module but I don't know for sure. I need to find out where the module is located and if the 00 and the 02 modules will be compatible.
It sounds like you have a bad injector or two.

The module you're referring to is called the IDM or Injector Driver Module. Here's how to get to it: 99-2003 7.3l idm (injector drive module) location - YouTube

An old trick to find a bad injector:

-Pull the intercooler hoses for both sides noting what clamp goes where. You will need and 11mm deep socket for this

-Pull the valve covers. You will need a 13 mm of 1/2 inch socket and wrench for this.

-Start the engine and allow the idle to smooth out. Carefully unplug each injector individually while listening to the truck idle. If when you unplug an injector, the idle doesn't change, you've found your bad injector.

Clay at Riffraff Diesel is the ONLY place I know of (believe me, I've checked) that offer Stock re-man injectors at a VERY reasonable price.

Riffraff Diesel: Stock Rebuilt Injectors

Anywhere else I've checked is incredibly proud of a used or rebuilt injector and doesn't let them got for anything less than $250 to $300. (no including the core charge).

Should it come down to you having to replace and injector or two, here are two good write ups on it:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...rs-are-in.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-injector.html

Originally Posted by Fsj 7.3 guy
I should also note that the 02 is new to me and it also has a cold start issue where I have to hit the glow plugs twice then crank the engine over a few seconds then hit the glow plugs a couple more times floor it and crank it and it usually starts after that but I think its tied in with the injector module problem.
Since the truck may have been sitting and not received the love it should have from the PO, it sounds like you have failed glow plugs or a failed GPR (Glow Plug Relay).

Either of the above would cause hard cold starts as the engine has to rely on whatever cylinders have good glow plugs to help start the truck. If all 8 were good, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Start by testing your GPR per Guzzle92's instructions: Welcome to guzzle's Stancor GPR replacement Mod Web Page

If it passes, move on to the glow plugs. They can be tested through the connector for the UVCH or Under Valve Cover Harness.

Some instructions on how to test both here: http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...ug%20Relay.pdf

If indeed your glow plugs need to be replaced. Do them all to save yourself a headache later, here's where to get them among any other parts for your Powerstroke needs: Riffraff Diesel: Motorcraft Glowplugs

The bottom line: Initially, you may end up having to spend some money on the '02 to get it running right and proper, but you won't regret it. I've had my 7.3 since it was new (had 50 miles on it) for almost 11 years and 342,000 miles. It's never left me on the side of the road and continues to perform flawlessly!

Stick with us here on FTE and we'll help you get that truck running right!

Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Fsj 7.3 guy
New User
Still looking for help on this issue. I have another question aswell. Would it be better to swap cabs or swap engines. I am pretty sure the frame is still straight on the rolled truck but I have not had it measured since there is no point untill I know for sure the best rout to take with this project.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Fsj 7.3 guy
New User
Thank you for the great information sorry it takes me so long to write messages but I am working from my phone. To answer the question of how long I have had the 02 about 2 weeks and no I have not changed the oil in it because I know the engine in the 00 is in awesome shape and had it for almost a year (over 60 000km) and have had to do nothing except change oil and filters on it. This is why I have absolutely no hesitation in swapping engines or reusing the old frame or engine. And although the 00 has not been mine since new I do know its history for the last 8 years.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I would fix the '02 and keep the '00 until another project comes along and use the engine in that. Swapping engines at this point seems premature.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Tailgate77478
Laughing Gas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As stated by F350 and Toreador, I think you'll be able to figure out your cold start issue. The comment about the new GPR is a good one, and is a cheap fix. You may need the glow plugs replaced as well, again, cheap and relatively easy.

It is possible your low pressure oil pump (LPOP) is leaking down, and needs to be replaced. Again cheap, a Melling LPOP is about $80, but the work is a little more...but doable if you have the right puller tool and someone who can help you as well.

Don't give up on that '02.

Maybe post where you live so someone from here can come help. A trick is to go to a general discussion forum or a "test" forum, and make a bunch of small posts so that your post count gets up over 25, so that people can see your location.

Welcome to FTE!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't want to swap the cabs. The '02 has different wiring than the '00. They updated the trucks in '02 with digital dash, removal of the GEM, and a few other upgrades. All the fuses and diagrams are different. The '00 also has forged rods(most likely) where the '02 will have PMR's. Swap the engines if you go that route.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Fsj 7.3 guy
New User
I live in fort st john bc just to let you know and if there is anybody who wants to lend a hand of course they are more than welcome to do so they might even get a couple beers lol.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
It should be warm enough that you would not even need your Glow Plugs. You may need to look for an other problem for you 'cold start'..... Weak fuel pump and weak fuel pressure? Do you have good batteries? If the batt voltage drops below 10.5v, then these trucks become harder to start.

Quick Reply: rolled truck decisions