Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Rough Question???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohh I just read in your sig your running an Edelbrock just get some metering rods (smaller) more fuel there easy to change out...There under those little butterfly looking things with a small torques screw...Loosen half way slide the door open it pops up pull them out carefully put new rods on....Place back in and tap a few times on them gently with your finger so it reseats and slide door closed.....Just make sure you keep it clean!

Carburetor Metering Rods - Edelbrock - SummitRacing.com

Old 05-26-2012, 10:42 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by kobaltblue
Are you saying your running E85???

If you have a carb you cant run E85 you want to switch to a fuel injection system...Any thing more then 10% and it will run like crap and it wrecks anything thats rubber and metal fuel lines too....

You can run it if you get a methanol carb but big $$$$ and instead of 8-10 mpg you'll get 5-8 mpg's that stuff is crap!

No I'm running standard pump gas...but I add the Lucas Ethanol Stabilizer...it cleans and reduces the Ethanol additives in the fuel to help reduce the buildup and varnish that the fuels these days contain. Carbs don't do to well with all the Ethanol from what I read and have heard...

There are a few stations around here that offer non-Ethanol gas...but they are out of the way and getting fewer and further in between...

Old 05-26-2012, 10:48 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Originally Posted by CalebJns
No I'm running standard pump gas...but I add the Lucas Ethanol Stabilizer...it cleans and reduces the Ethanol additives in the fuel to help reduce the buildup and varnish that the fuels these days contain. Carbs don't do to well with all the Ethanol from what I read and have heard...

There are a few stations around here that offer non-Ethanol gas...but they are out of the way and getting fewer and further in between...

Good

I have never had a problem with the 10% but the summer additive is what causes alot of problems stay away from sHELL gas...BP is the best, Race way second, Exxon, texico.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:49 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Ohh I just read in your sig your running an Edelbrock just get some metering rods (smaller) more fuel there easy to change out...There under those little butterfly looking things with a small torques screw...Loosen half way slide the door open it pops up pull them out carefully put new rods on....Place back in and tap a few times on them gently with your finger so it reseats and slide door closed.....Just make sure you keep it clean!

Carburetor Metering Rods - Edelbrock - SummitRacing.com
What size would be recommended? It is a Stock 1406 Edelbrock?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Do you still have your set up book?

This is the best way to buy them

Edelbrock 1487 - Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetor Calibration Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Its worth every penny...

That way you can switch for summer to winter and fine tune for mileage if you look in the tuning chapter it will show which ones you'll need, If you dont go to the Edelbrock web site its posted over there....Its really easy.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:07 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
I will see if the local parts store has one in stock...otherwise I will order one Tuesday from Summit...till then, I am going to go ahead and change the plugs and wires...

It's just frustrating...it makes you wish, you could just floor it one good, hard time, and blow all the crap out...sorda like when you have the crud, you can feel it in your throat and chest, and swear up and down if you could just hack hard enough, it would ALL break loose and come on out!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
I know what you mean! LOL!! Hope you get her fixed.

Get a few pic's of the plugs when you get them out...

Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
I know what you mean! LOL!! Hope you get her fixed.

Get a few pic's of the plugs when you get them out...
Will Do...thanks for the help thus far!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
Well guys...I finally got done with changing the plugs and wires...fired the truck up and boy oh boy does it run smooth!!!! However, this leads me into another question...what would cause the passenger side plugs to be rougher looking than the driver side? Here are the pics of the plugs...

Here is a pic of the passenger side plugs...

And a pic of the driver side plugs...

Thoughts?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks like your running a little too rich. And that one drivers and one passenger side plug looks to be fuel or oil soaked. If its fuel your definately too rich. If its oil your valve seals or guides are prob shot.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 AM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
I would guess fuel...it doesn't feel like oil...with that being said, I haven't been able to pin point it, but the passenger side does have a very small oil leak somewhere...I know I am going to have to replace the oil pan (guys stripped the plug hole when they changed the oil)...so that is going to be a very soon project...

Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 AM
co425
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Smell the plug then you'll be sure. If its wet an hour later it's probably oil.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
As in order

#1 looks like the electrode is worn out
#4 looks alittle rich
#7 looks really rich or its got a bad valve guide or bad wire dist cap, Clean the inside of the cap or just replace it.

All the rest look pretty good you could actually lean it out some, You have a nice tan color (from my screens color)

But changing that #7 will probably make a world of difference....If it persists its most likely your fuel pump....Take it out and carefully top the intake side on a peice of wood with a sheet of paper and see if any crud comes out.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:57 PM
CalebJns
Posting Guru
As in order

#1 looks like the electrode is worn out
#4 looks alittle rich
#7 looks really rich or its got a bad valve guide or bad wire dist cap, Clean the inside of the cap or just replace it.

All the rest look pretty good you could actually lean it out some, You have a nice tan color (from my screens color)

But changing that #7 will probably make a world of difference....If it persists its most likely your fuel pump....Take it out and carefully top the intake side on a peice of wood with a sheet of paper and see if any crud comes out.
I checked the filter before my pump, it is clean, and the hoses, and tank are not even a year old...

Kobalt...where in Alabama are you located?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Gulf Shores area

Quick Reply: Rough Question???