DuPont ChromaPremier 22860S etch primer and activator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Frenchy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DuPont ChromaPremier 22860S etch primer and activator?

Hi Everyone!

I'd like your opinions about a primer that I was considering on using. It's the DuPont ChromaPremier 22860S etch primer. From the technical data sheet I've read already it stipulates that it has excellent adhersion and corrosion resistant properties? Once fully cured you need to top coat it with Nason Ful-Poxy 491-10 epoxy primer and activator. The DuPont ChromaPremier 22860S etch primer needs to be applied on clean bare metal.The surface needs to be scuffed with P180 DA sandpaper followed by P240 DA first. I'm assuming that any filler would be directly applied on the sheet metal first,properly sanded and all the edges fethered and then sprayed with DuPont ChromaPremier 22860S etch primer? I've found myself a good used truck box and I was considering on sandblasting underneath and then applying the DuPont ChromaPremier 22860S etch primer? I was also considering using it on the exterior side panels and the tail gate? I've never used this product before so I'm not sure how long it will last? Will it actually protect the sheet metal from corrosion? A Napa sales person had recommended it,and had told me it was a top quality product. It's a whole lot cheaper than POR-15! Mind you, I've never used POR-15 either so I'm not even sure if DuPont ChromaPremier 22860S etch primer has the same protection properties as POR-15? Living here in Quebec,Canada is a real nightmare because of all the salt that is used on the roads in winter! NOTHING HERE LASTS!! Has anyone out there used this product before and if so were you satisfied with the results? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know how much you are going to pay for that stuff, but you should check out this company's epoxy primer. I have been using it on my truck and I find the quality is excellent and the price is very reasonable.

Here is a link to there website.
Home

Here is a link to their forum.
SPI User Forums

I did plenty of research before I started using their products. I have found that they are a local company that ships worldwide. They have a very high standard for their products, and a very reasonable price compared to the name brands. After you look at their website, products, and pricing, take a look at their forum and read about some of what you want to use. They have a very good forum, full of knowledgeable guys and gals, much like here. Check it out and let me know what you think. There are several of us on this site that are also members there, and use their product with excellent results.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM
cyclopsblown34
Lead Driver
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
x 2 on SPI. The only thing on a paint job I do that isn't theirs is the paint. Primer, epoxy primer, clearcoat, they're all from SPI. Etching primer goes to bare metal only, don't use it over any other substrate. Epoxy primer has for the most part replaced using etch primer. I like to apply my epoxy primer to 80 grit scratches to get some mechanical adhesion.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
x 2 on SPI. The only thing on a paint job I do that isn't theirs is the paint. Primer, epoxy primer, clearcoat, they're all from SPI. Etching primer goes to bare metal only, don't use it over any other substrate. Epoxy primer has for the most part replaced using etch primer. I like to apply my epoxy primer to 80 grit scratches to get some mechanical adhesion.

Barry, over at SPI, is about to come out with some black base (they already have a red base), and it looks awesome from the pictures that I've seen. I am going to repaint my truck the original color, I think it will be their black.