Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

AC Controls

Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 PM
jmcgee
Junior User
jmcgee is starting off with a positive reputation.
AC Controls

I am going to try and revive the factory AC on this 1980 F150. It's all there, but problem one is the controls for AC.

The temperature control wouldn't move all the way to hot. I reached up around the heater core to where the flap was, and pulled out a bunch of what appears to be rats nests. Got enough out and the flap closes, and the control goes all the way to hot now. But there is still some behind the heater core, so guess I will pull it tomorrow to clean it out. Looks like I just remove the hoses, plug them. Does the heater core just lift out, I didn't see anything holding it in.

But why I'm posting, is the vacuum control. Found a line that was broke, fixed that. But what I can't figure out the cam on bottom of the control. Mine just kinda lays in there. I can't see what holds it in. Maybe if the center pole stuck up more, but am I missing a part? It falls out when I run the control. The cam is just bare to the bottom.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by jmcgee View Post
I am going to try and revive the factory AC on this 1980 F150. It's all there, but problem one is the controls for AC.

The temperature control wouldn't move all the way to hot. I reached up around the heater core to where the flap was, and pulled out a bunch of what appears to be rats nests. Got enough out and the flap closes, and the control goes all the way to hot now. But there is still some behind the heater core, so guess I will pull it tomorrow to clean it out. Looks like I just remove the hoses, plug them. Does the heater core just lift out, I didn't see anything holding it in.

But why I'm posting, is the vacuum control. Found a line that was broke, fixed that. But what I can't figure out the cam on bottom of the control. Mine just kinda lays in there. I can't see what holds it in. Maybe if the center pole stuck up more, but am I missing a part? It falls out when I run the control. The cam is just bare to the bottom.
Sorry, but I'm not able to visualize the situation. Can you take a picture and post it? I have some of those I can compare to and we should be able to figure this out.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
82f100460 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.82f100460 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree, I'm not too sure what the issue is exactly that you're trying to discribe.

I've added some shots from the 80 EVTM that may help. If you have some picutes you can post, or refer to any of the pictures out of the EVTM that you're referring to, that would help.

I think in your post, you're asking how to remove the heater core? I'm not sure on the 80 AC system, but on my 82 (non-AC), the heater core comes out through the engine compartment.

Attached Images      
Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 AM
jmcgee
Junior User
Thanks guys..

There are two questions:
#1 How to remove heater core on 1980 with AC. I'm pretty sure just remove hoses in engine compartment, plug them, and pull out heater core from inside cab.

#2 Why this cam won't stay in place:

this is control with cam removed:

this is the cam alone:

this is me holding cam to control. If I let loose, it just falls off. Works OK long as I keep it in place:

and for fun, this is rats nest I pulled out to allow the temperature cable to operate the door. There is still more behind heater core:

Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
82f100460 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.82f100460 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think you're correct on the heater core. Looking some more in the shop manual, it appears only the non-AC units were removed from the engine compartment. So it should come right out through the cab.

For your cam, I've posted a picture from my 1982 Ford Shop Manual. It appears that you missing the shaft (and spring nut) that keeps it all attached.

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 AM
jmcgee
Junior User
Thanks and I feel like a dummy because I have 1980 shop manual and just didn't look closely at it.

Part for entire assembly in that manual is 19B919. NumberDummy or anyone, can you tell me if that is official parts number, and who has it?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
That part is for just the piece you are looking for, unfortunately it is not listed in the Master Parts Catalog. Only the part for the entire assembly is (19980), including the front bezel...refer to picture I've posted. Also posted the entire Ford Service Part Number. You may be able to use the same prefix and apply it to the 19B919.

Attached Images   
Old 05-20-2012, 11:46 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
According to the parts search...I was able to find one of the E1TZ 19980-B parts at the location below. That's if you have the aux tank. So this one would have the tank selector switch on it.

Antique Auto Supply
1225 Colorado Ln.
Arlington, Texas 76015
Phone: 817-275-2381
Fax 775-234-9858
Email: [email protected]
Antique Auto Supply, Keeping the Old Car Hobby alive for the last 50 years"

Old 05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
jmcgee
Junior User
I don't have aux tank, but I can easy drive to antique auto, so will file that away if I come up empty on the correct part.

thanks!

Old 05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
PM me if you want. I think I have one.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Got the PM and have taken a look at what I have - as shown in the first pic attached. Unfortunately I don't find a complete part/engineering number on any of them. But, there are #'s on some of the pieces. As it turns out the bottom unit, also shown in the next two pics, has the vacuum control/switch with a # of E0TH-19B919. Given that I'm pretty sure that's the one you want.

So, why am I posting it here and not via PM? Because, were I you, I would want the collective wisdom of FTEdom to say "Yeppers, that be it!" Then we can take it off-line.

And, note the closeup of what it is supposed to look like. I have been successful in getting that keeper off such that it can be reused. In fact, I've taken the control apart, cleaned it, lubed it, and put it back together such that it worked smoothly and properly.

Anyway, is that the one?

Attached Images    
Old 05-20-2012, 02:28 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Looks just like the one in the drawing to me.

The one on the bottom would be the one he would need, if it has the 19B919 control arm on it that is...that's the one without the tank selector switch.

As Chris and I have discovered...there is different methods the cables connect on the 80-82 and then again in 83. Take a look a those and make sure they are compatible. Some have the coiled wire that slides onto a shaft while others have the single hole where the cable has a "z" notch that engages. The clamp that holds the sheeth is different on particular models as well

Old 05-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Jmcgee - Take a look at your control and the one in the pictures above and the other view of it, attached. Make sure your cable attaches the same way as mine.

Kev - Those kind of things are why I posted here. Don't want any misunderstanding. Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:46 PM
jmcgee
Junior User
I compared and I'm sure what you have is what I need. The cable connects with coil of wire on a shaft and keeper on top. That looks like the keeper on yours.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by jmcgee View Post
I compared and I'm sure what you have is what I need. The cable connects with coil of wire on a shaft and keeper on top. That looks like the keeper on yours.
Yes, that's the keeper. PM coming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Controls

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.