Sponsored by: Moser

2011 Ecoboost Tranny Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM
hurricaneart
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2011 Ecoboost Tranny Issues

This is my first post here and I've read with great interest over the last month about the transmission problems from these models. My build date was May 5, 2011 and I had the complete transmission pump blow out at 8400 miles while towing a tandem axle 6x12 trailer in SC last month. This was a work related trip with a time deadline on my arrival in FL. My load was probably no more than 8,000 lbs. The dealership I was towed to replaced the pump and related gaskets as per the TSB. They indicated that no metal or other debris was in the fluid so you would think things would be ok after this. Well they aren't.

Because I missed my deadline with the several day wait for parts, I brought the truck and trailer back up here to VA and the six hour drive was uneventful. After ditching the trailer and driving around town, the shifting got really rough- clunking so hard you'd think that I'd run over a dog. After going back to the dealership, I was told that the transmission needed to learn my driving habits so they did a re-set. This was about 10 days ago and the vehicle was only driven a couple of hundred miles with no trailer. Today, I hooked up the empty trailer to take it and the truck in for state inspection. I pull out of my driveway and head down a long steep hill with the tow/haul button on and the thing gets stuck in 2nd gear. Finally it pops up to 4th with a huge clunk. I took it really easy going the rest of the way into town and at the first light I stopped at, the truck then got stuck in 1st gear. It wouldn't come out until I turned the tow/haul off and then it popped up to 3rd.

The dealership just called back and told me that they drove the truck and there is nothing wrong. The sticking in low gears did not turn up on the test drive. I really have gotten to the point I don't trust a word these guys utter because they also told me when they upsold me the extended service plan, that I would get a replacement vehicle capable of towing my trailer if I had a major breakdown under the warranty. Of course, when I was stuck in SC last month, no one was about to give me a truck so I could continue to my business appointment. I lost a ton of money on the missed gig and have now been told Ford doesn't offer equal capacity loaners under the ESP so my dealership flat out lied to me to get that upsell contract. Now that it looks like additional problems exist with this tranny and they are not admitting anything is going on, I am really furious and about to get a lawyer. Anyone have any helpful advice? I should add that I have tried to get financial compensation from the dealership/Ford for the $$ I spend on hotels waiting for repairs, etc plus the lost advance fee I paid for the gig I was to be in down in FL. I gave them all the receipts and have not even gotten a call or any notice that they are working on it or going to give me a refund. One lifelong Ford enthusiast is about to change brands after all of this mess.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Sorry to read about your issues. There were in fact a bad batch of transmissions / internal components around the timeframe of your build date. Several other members here have posted similar breakdowns but their repairs as far as I know were solid.

Are you having issues with the selling dealer? Have you considered a second opinion from another dealer?

We're not allowed to discuss legal action here so I recommend that you take what ever steps that a business person would take to recoup your losses and get your equipment repaired correctly.

Good luck sir.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I am wondering if a reflash of the tranny would help in this instance?