1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Intergrated Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 PM
akhunter02
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I have not done that yet, I will when I get home from work (on Alaska time)will let you know what happens

Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 PM
MC9
Junior User
Just googled ford tbc amd read a big long letter on what I said and why. Sounds like your tbc is working fine.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by MC9
Just googled ford tbc amd read a big long letter on what I said and why. Sounds like your tbc is working fine.
So manual activation is incapable of activation unless moving over 10 mph? How do you account for the difference he is reporting between this trailer and his last one. Something changed.

Steve

Last edited by RV_Tech; 05-14-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: expanded
Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
So manual activation is incapable of activation unless moving over 10 mph? How do you account for the difference he is reporting between this trailer and his last one. Something changed.

Steve
Here is the link on the 05 TBC from Ford

Download 2005-01 Trailer Brake Controller [TBC] 2005 Ford SuperDuty Vehicles Created 01-04-05.pdf for free - Ebookbrowse.com - Ebook Search & Free Ebook Downloads .

Voltage is reduced, but not absent with manual operation at rest and should lock em up at 15 mph and above, OP is reporting an almost complete absence of braking with manual operation even when moving above 15 mph, if I understand him correctly.

Steve

Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akhunter02
how do I determine the exact build date
Should be on the door jamb sticker.

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
OP is reporting an almost complete absence of braking with manual operation even when moving above 15 mph, if I understand him correctly.
Oh, I guess I took his post to mean that he was trying to lock them up at 15mph. Guess that's the question. I agree though, it is odd that his old trailer worked fine.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 AM
akhunter02
Freshman User
Ok, trailer is good, pulled the brakeaway and brakes locked up. Checked the voltage at the 7 pin, Gain set to 10 and activate controller manually and had 1.5vdc. Road tested it at 20, 25, and 30 mph. I engaged the controller manually and I can feel the brakes engage, and it will slow the truck down to about 10 mph but wont stop it completely.

after reading the tsb it appears my controller will have a normal output of 1 to 3 vdc. (mine is 1.5) thats never going to lock up the trailer brakes.

as far as the difference between my first 5th wheel when it seemed to work ok and my current one is the Empty Weight, 9500lbs vs 11,400lbs, guess the extra weight is making the difference.

now if this is indeed whats going on what are my options? Do I leave it as is, buy a newer from ford or put in a standard controller such as the prodigy?

If its the later can I do it without messing with the PCM ABS or what ever else is being monitored.

Thanks for everyones help

Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by akhunter02
Ok, trailer is good, pulled the brakeaway and brakes locked up. Checked the voltage at the 7 pin, Gain set to 10 and activate controller manually and had 1.5vdc. Road tested it at 20, 25, and 30 mph. I engaged the controller manually and I can feel the brakes engage, and it will slow the truck down to about 10 mph but wont stop it completely.

after reading the tsb it appears my controller will have a normal output of 1 to 3 vdc. (mine is 1.5) thats never going to lock up the trailer brakes.

as far as the difference between my first 5th wheel when it seemed to work ok and my current one is the Empty Weight, 9500lbs vs 11,400lbs, guess the extra weight is making the difference.

now if this is indeed whats going on what are my options? Do I leave it as is, buy a newer from ford or put in a standard controller such as the prodigy?

If its the later can I do it without messing with the PCM ABS or what ever else is being monitored.

Thanks for everyones help
Here is the info on that

2005 F-Series Super Duty Factory Trailer Brake Controller Tips: Diagnosis procedures for the Towcommand system is in the workshop manual, section 206-10, Auxiliary Brake System. All voltage tests sould be made with the controller at the maximum gain setting of 10.0. Brake controller output voltage increases with vehicle speed. In park with the controller fully applied manualy, the output voltage on trucks built before 3-23-05 should be greater than 1-3 volts; after 3-23-05 greater than 10-12 volts. Controller output with the brake pedal is the same for either build dates. Full voltage is only available above 15 MPH. The Towcommand system works in both forward and reverse. Broadcast Message 3286, 4312, 4940.
When installing an aftermarket controller on trucks equiped with a factory installed controller, the factory one must be left intact and the aftermarket controller installed separately. The vehicle harness connector for an aftermarket cointroller is now a 4-pin connector, and is mounted to the back of the storage bin to the right of the steering column. The radio may need to be removed to access it. Broadcast Message 3332, 4080, 4926.
The Towcommand system is ment to only work with electric trailer brakes and not surge or electric over hydraulic brake systems. Broadcast Message 3179, 4924.
A message center display of "Trailer Fault" is not a problem with the the TowCommand controller. If this message only displays with a trailer attached, the problem is with the trailer wiring. If it displays with no trailer, the fault lies in the vehicle harness between the TowCommand and the trailer connector. Broadcast Message 4927.

2005 F-Series Super Duty Aftermarket Brake Controller Installation:
The vehicle harness connector for the brake controller is located on a support brace behind the dash below the radio. If provided, the adapter harness for connecting to the brake controller will be in the glove box. When installing an aftermarket controller on trucks equiped with a factory installed controller, the factory one must be left intact and the aftermarket controller installed separately. Broadcast Message 3332.

I know many folks are fans of Ford's TBC; I do not share their enthusiasm. I find the self-diagostics built into the high-end aftermarket controllers to greatly simplify troubleshooting both in the truck and in the trailer, and feel Ford's design is easily confused by many users. Having said that, would I replace it? Not unless it was malfunctioning.

I am glad you have made progress with this issue.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 05-15-2012, 04:50 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We discussed this on the HitchHiker Owners Forum back in 2007. Ford issued a TSB that told dealers "The early 2005 system is operating as designed. Do not take any corrective action." The later model controller would satisfy your requirement, but an aftermarket controller might be cheaper, if not as elegant in appearance. And I believe a dealer would have to deactivate the integrated controller to give you access to the wiring for the aftermarket unit.

While you should see some voltage at the pin, remember that with electric (magnetic) brakes, it is current, not voltage that activates the magnets.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:10 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by glsurratt
We discussed this on the HitchHiker Owners Forum back in 2007. Ford issued a TSB that told dealers "The early 2005 system is operating as designed. Do not take any corrective action." The later model controller would satisfy your requirement, but an aftermarket controller might be cheaper, if not as elegant in appearance. And I believe a dealer would have to deactivate the integrated controller to give you access to the wiring for the aftermarket unit.

While you should see some voltage at the pin, remember that with electric (magnetic) brakes, it is current, not voltage that activates the magnets.
As I interpret the preceeding, I don't believe the dealer has to do anything. It sounds like the plug is just as always has been and you can just plug in. Whether you get an error message on the TSB may be an issue as it would still be active and I am not sure how it reads the resistance of the after-market controller.

The problem with voltage, which is what nearly everyone tries to use, is it is not very helpful. When you train on controllers, everything is done with amperage on clamp meters so you get a meaningful measure.

Steve

Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM
akhunter02
Freshman User
Thanks everyone, been lots of help, ill check with ford and see what the cost of a factory controller is, not sure I want to install a after market due to possible error problems