Is This A Bad Combo? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Is This A Bad Combo?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Sarge261
Postmaster
Sarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant future
Is This A Bad Combo?

So after ordering a set of 175 cc injectors wit 75% nozzels and a Power Max, and talking with the injector builder, Clay, and Matt. They were all in agreement that this would be a good combo to keep the truck reliable, and good for towing the 5er.

What are the thoughts of the folks here that have done this sort of upgrade. My plan is to do an Air Dog, Studs, and maybe an egr delete when the time comes.

The injector guy said he has tons of trucks with this comboout on the road and they are reliable, and all tow well. Matt said as long as I have the blue spring done, which I do, he can put more fuel to the injecotr to compliment the Power Max but not over load it...I dont want it to smoke like a chimney.

What are the odds that this thing will melt pistons with a tow tune towing that heavy?

I had my mind set on 155's but the way the builder explained it to me is that the tunes can be written so that they dont put there total potential amoumt of fuel to the cyliners and it was better to go with a 175 and have them de tuned, rater than install 155's and not have the potential,ge alsosaid I would be ok with 190's but I didnt feel comfortable with those and still be able to keep it as a working truck.

Sarge

Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Troy Buenger
Postmaster
Troy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to beholdTroy Buenger is a splendid one to behold
To add to your list of concerns any thoughts about your transmission holding this extra power while towing the 5er?

Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Sarge261
Postmaster
Sarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant futureSarge261 has a brilliant future
Yes trans is always on my mind. I have never run hot tunes in the truck to drive it as a race truck. I do run the srl tune when not towing and unloaded only on the highway, but I dont beat it, never have. Usually the only tune that is ever in the truck is the tow tune which is only a 50 hp tune. The only reason for the Power Max is I have had a ton of issues with the OEM turbo, and Im pretty sure the dealer was the issue not the turbo, but it will ease my mind with a brand new turbo on there towing.

My real concern is the injecotors, but according to Matt from Gearhead, he will tweak the tunes enough to pull the lag out of the power max and just give it a little more fuel.

When I talked to all 3 of them I told them I was just looking for a little more power, but it still needs to be safe and reliable. Knowck on wood I have never been left stranded and the only mjor failure was the EGR/Oil Cooler and it was overed under my ESP.

I figure now that its out of warranty if there is a better part that can be installed and I can afford to upgrade thts what I'll do. I knew that when my ESP was running out I was going to get the run around about the looming injector issue. All the dealer (s), I took it to 3, kept telling me about the smoke was it was normal because of the bigger intercooler. I kept telling them that it never did this before, so they just put another centersection in it and sent me packing.

Needless to say its still didnt fix the issue, and I bought a AE and watched in the morning that 3 injectors have to be leaking, so I would set some money aside each week and I finally save enough to fix it, so now that its on my die I want the best for the truck.

My plan is to continue to put some money away each week so that if something comes up I can take care of it...this was a big hit to the kitty but I thought they were repairs that would enhance drivability and durability. Like I said Im not looking to build a 8k bullet, just make it more efficient while working.

I may look into finding a good low mileage used TS, and buying the suncoast heavy rebuild kit with a good TC and just put it on the shelf for the if an when I need it day.

Sorry for the long winded post but I hope I answered the question.

Sarge

Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.
This doesn't really answer your main question, but I would stay away from the Airdog. I've heard too many stories of them failing on other forums. The Aeromotive A1000 seems to have a much better track record.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Sarge261
Postmaster
Thanks IAN somethng else to look into. I like to think that I do my research before making decisions on what to do with the truck. I read tons of posts from TEX and what he did with his truck. He makes 508 rwhp and he works the truck and its reliable.

Om hoping I have the same amount of sucess that he had, the prices of thses trucks new puts them so far out of my reach, and I feel with this truck I know what Ive got, and I can work on it. Im actually considering down the road converting it to a dually...crazy maybe but with only 68k on the ticker I think I have some good miles left in her.

The again maybe not, and any input is welcome on the subject.

Sarge

Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 AM
npccpartsman
Post Fiend
npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
175's with 75% nozzles are going to put out a LOT of fuel. I ran those for about two years and could never keep my EGT's under control towing, even with a tow tune.

Tex is running 155's and a non-VGT turbo. You can go stupid fast with 155's, keep the EGT's under control and still be able to pull and work your truck. It's all about the tuning.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Sarge261
Postmaster
So with 155's and a Garrett Power Max I should be ok?

Sarge

Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Sarge261 View Post
So with 155's and a Garrett Power Max I should be ok?

Sarge
I would agree, and per your first post, Matt can dial back the fueling so even though you have 175s, you can have 155 fueling. It's like the 238cc Hybrids for the 7.3.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Sarge261
Postmaster
I talked to the injecotr builder and we agreed that a 155 with a 30% nozzle would be better. He misunderstood what weight I said I would be pulling. Since this truck will be the pulling truck for the 5er I dont want to chance it and just went with the 155's. Matt called me back and agreed as well.

I feel better now.

Sarge

Old 05-14-2012, 06:00 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
I would gladly run 155s and a powermax all day long. that has you in the 500hp+

Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
william_04_x
Postmaster
william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
You'll be happy with the 155/Pmax combo, Sarge.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Piolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to beholdPiolet is a splendid one to behold
With 155 and P/max do you have to have aftermarket fuel pump or other fuel accessories??

Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
tex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud oftex25025 has much to be proud of
Dammit, dammit, dammit, everyone beat me to this one. Why didn't anyone tell me about this thread? Alright, enough bitching.

175s are too much. Too much fuel for that turbo and you'll get stupid fast high EGT readings. 5 seconds and I can peg out a 1600 pyro gauge empty. Also, your RPM range is going to be higher to see your peak numbers for those injectors. Too high for normal street use. With my injectors, I'm at 3900, 2300 respectively for HP/TQ peaks.

Go with the 155s, be better mated with your turbo, if you still have a little lag that tuning can't do, try to see about a tighter housing on the turbo. Have a tune dedicated to towing and make sure it's perfect, it took Matt(Spartan) a month to get my tow tune right, but I also haul live cargo, needs might be a little different.

Plan for a Suncoast rebuild. It took a year before the direct clutch was toast on my stock one. Which to me is a testament to how good this stock ones are.

Now, some will debate this, but I firmly believe in upgrading the fuel system. If nothing else a RR kit. My fuel pump crapped out on me after 3 months of the mods. Coincidence.....maybe, but I also added in a FASS to the RR kit since I had to do a new pump anyway. Works flawlessly.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 PM
william_04_x
Postmaster
william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
As far as fuel issues, if you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, that should be the very next thing on the list. If you can maintain 50+ psi under any of your driving conditions(including tuned WOT), you're good to go.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Sarge261
Postmaster
I have a fuel pressure guage, I am maintaing arounf 56psi right now with stock turbo and injectors with a tow tune.

My plans are to upgrade to either a FASS or Air Dog in the near future. I am saving my pennies for that right now. I will also put some money aside to rebuild the transmission.

Just sitting here twidling my thumbs waiting for my 155's to come in.

Sarge

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is This A Bad Combo?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.