2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pimp my 8200

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pimp my 8200

This is my new (to me) 2005 F150 XLT 8200lbs heavy duty package. It has the Leer cap which I have on most of the time.
My first change will to be to make me a cat back system. I intend to run the pipes back to the drivers side between the chassis rail and the bed side and mount a pair of flowmasters up there and the run the pipes out sideways ahead of the rear tire. This is to free up space where the muffler (huge thing!) was. I want to mount my LPG tank there.
Anyone know which are the best flowmasters to use? I want a deep V8 sound without any cackling or droning at freeway speeds.

Next up come the LPG gas conversion. Expensive but LPG costs less than half what gasoline costs over here.

The wheels are bugging me thou. I have a set of nice brand new chrome 2009 Lariat take offs but they're 6 lug. My stupid 8200 is the only F150 with 7 lug wheels! What's involved in converting my axles to 6 lug? Is it possible and affordable. We have a lot of snow here in the winter so really I need to be able to run two sets of wheels for my summer and winter tires. I have a workshop, so converting back to 7 lug for the winter won't be too much of a problem.

Finally any other thoughts on making it look a bit nicer. I find it looks quite drap. Of course the ugly wheels don't help. Also the tech tubes are letting it down looks wise too. I think it needs more chrome. Any ideas

Ed

Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to make a move for the looks then get a chrome package for it. Chrome grill and door handles will really make it jump. I would also get some chrome or stainless step bars to dress it up a bit and maybe a 1.5-2" leveling kit.

As for the flowmaster mufflers the 40 series is loud and drones on but I believe you can put a 50 or even 70 series under these trucks to get less drone. I would maybe look into a series 50 it is what they call their mid range sound where the 40 is the aggressive and the 70 is mild.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
order all the chrome and flashing things from jc whitney that will set it apart, unless you live in mexico..

jcwhitney.com

Old 11-19-2010, 07:13 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
I believe American racing makes the 7 lug wheels for your truck instead of converting them to six lug

Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by jstnromero
I believe American racing makes the 7 lug wheels for your truck instead of converting them to six lug
The trouble is, that due to regulations where I live I am limited to OEM wheels. I'd love a set of 2011 17" 7 lug aluminium take-offs. The 7 lug wheel on the 2011 are quite nice looking.
Ed

Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by edwardlloyd
The trouble is, that due to regulations where I live I am limited to OEM wheels. I'd love a set of 2011 17" 7 lug aluminium take-offs. The 7 lug wheel on the 2011 are quite nice looking.
Ed
Where exactly are you again?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Where exactly are you again?
Germany. We can run aftermarket wheels but it's a lot of hassle and expensive.

Not only that, but I prefer OEM anyway because they're tougher and last longer.

Ed

Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Now I know nothing about the laws and regs in Germany, but to me I think the extra hassle and expense would be better than switching from 7 lug back to 6 lug then back to 7 lug each year. If you're mechanically inclined then go for it, but that sounds like a lot of work and time, and also money.

As for the exhaust...Flowmaster is going to drone. Magnaflow, Gibson, MBRP probably won't drone as bad. I had a Flowmaster 50 series on my V8 Explorer and it had a drone sweet spot right at 2k rpms. Really sucked on the highway.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Now I know nothing about the laws and regs in Germany, but to me I think the extra hassle and expense would be better than switching from 7 lug back to 6 lug then back to 7 lug each year. If you're mechanically inclined then go for it, but that sounds like a lot of work and time, and also money.

As for the exhaust...Flowmaster is going to drone. Magnaflow, Gibson, MBRP probably won't drone as bad. I had a Flowmaster 50 series on my V8 Explorer and it had a drone sweet spot right at 2k rpms. Really sucked on the highway.
The trouble and hassle involves paying about $7000 for testing fees and submitted two wheels for destructive testing. Seeing you can count the 7 lug trucks here on two hands, i guess no one has done it.

Maybe those 2011 17" OEMs are my best bet.

Thanks for the tip on the Flowmaster. 2000rpms is just where I drive at.

Ed

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
1bad67sbf
Posting Guru
for what its worth maybe powdercoat the wheels. they are a bit off looking but maybe more chrome on the truck and chrome center caps with black powder coating on the rest. just a thought!
my exhaust sounds great, has a drone but at like 3000-3500 rpms so its nice and loud when your getting on it but on the highway it is very quiet in the cab, its an edelbrock SDT kit. mine is the saleen edition but they should be all the same. got mine on ebay for around $200 with S+H

Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 PM
1bad67sbf
Posting Guru
can you by law lift it in germany? they wont let you change the wheels but the exhaust change is ok? one more thing since your running lpg i wonder if it will sound the same with an aftermarket exhaust as they do with gas?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:18 PM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ed,
Yeah, I feel your pain with the German aftermarket laws. If you must have the special wheels, just get them. The post about powdercoating is reasononable option. You could have two sets of steel wheels for the summer/winter tire swap.
Where in Germany are you?

Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Lifting is OK, so are many other modifications. With most modifications, the inspection guy just checks it looks safe and puts it the paperwork. Wheels are pretty critical, and to be fair many cheap aftermarket wheels aren't safe. We have unlimited speed limits here so you can drive at V-max for hours if you can find the space to do it.

I like the idea of powder coating the steel wheels as my winter wheels. I'm going to buy some 2011 17" OEM 7 lug wheels for my summer tyres.

I've ordered stainless running board tubes to replace the rusty old tech-tubes.

Somewhere, but I can't remember whether it was here or somewhere else, I read a tech about swapping the XLT grill for some other OEM chrome grill.

LPG doesn't change the sound of the engine. Changing the exhaust, cat back is OK, especially if it's done to free up space for the lpg tank ;-)

The Edelbrock exhaust kit for $200 sounds reasonable. Is that for one or two mufflers.

Ed

Old 11-20-2010, 05:00 AM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Originally Posted by 60DRB
Ed,
Yeah, I feel your pain with the German aftermarket laws. If you must have the special wheels, just get them. The post about powdercoating is reasononable option. You could have two sets of steel wheels for the summer/winter tire swap.
Where in Germany are you?
Bamberg, Baveria.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 PM
edwardlloyd
Junior User
Well here's how my truck looks now one year later. I swapped the rusty old tech-tubes for new stainless tubes. I made up a twin cat back system using flowmasters which sound good and aren't to loud of droney. It's running on LPG now. I bought the chrome stick on grill and door handles which improved the look a lot.
This week I fitted new coils and shocks up front with a 2" leveling kit. Man they were a ******* to get in! I bought a set of Eagle alloys with the 7-lug pattern and Cooper Discoverer 35s. Now I have a set of Bush-whackers on order.

And with it being a HD it already has 4.10 gears!

Before and after

Quick Reply: Pimp my 8200