1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Collector vehicle insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Grundy also has spare parts coverage for up to $500. It's included in my policy. If I store any extra parts for the truck at home and they get stolen, they will pay up to $500 for them.

Dan, you just have to know the right things to say if you ever need to use your insurance coverage.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I have had grundy for 10 yrs now,& i have never had to
submit a claim yet,i am going to stay with them

Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
If you are a veteran USAA is now insuring antique autos. They had passed me off to American Collectors years ago. My 1950 Ford F-2 is cheaper than my 1949 Jeepster (Amer. Coll.) that I sold last September.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too am a Veteran and have all my rigs through USAA. They are currently covering the '56, but just on liability. When asked about full coverage, they too kicked me over to American Collectors insurance. This would be a seperate policy not tied at all to your USAA policy.

With Liability set at 300k/300k/10k, Comp, Collision, towing and labor, $500 of spare parts and an 'agreed value' of the truck @ 10k the quote comes in at $162.95 a year. (pending i send them pics of the truck)
Like others, they wanted to know how it was stored and did not want you driving it 'daily', no vacation trips, no towing or hauling or driving to work. They do not have a mileage limitation all.
I haven't gone with them yet, the driving limitations kinda bother me. i only live 5 miles from work and would like to drive the truck every once in a while. not to mention on my Fridays off, I'd use it as my run-around rig for the day, as well as the weekends. So, I dunno, still mulling it over.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:29 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds56Effie
Just on Monday I renewed my collector insurance with Grundy on the 56 Effie. $40K stated amount coverage with ZERO deductibles for both coll/comp for $188/yr. And, that premium is up 42% from last year for some reason! But, was still lower than Haggerty or any other collector car insurer that I checked with prior to renewing. I've had Grundy for 5 years now on the Lightning truck and added the Effie when I purchased it last year. Grundy Worldwide is now a division of Philadelphia Insurance Companies..

BTW, be advised..that there is a difference between "declared" value..and "stated" value. Better check it out before you buy coverage.
I can tell you why it's up 42%. Ever since Grundy became a division of Philadelphia Insurance it's been all downhill...for me anyway. I can't get anywhere near the service I used to get with Grundy, changes take forever to get done, and the price has gone up. I used to be able to call Grundy and have any changes in my vehicle made on the phone. Now I have to submit everything in writing. I am seriously considering going with someone else if they don't get their act together soon!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Eds56Effie
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I can tell you why it's up 42%. Ever since Grundy became a division of Philadelphia Insurance it's been all downhill...for me anyway. I can't get anywhere near the service I used to get with Grundy, changes take forever to get done, and the price has gone up. I used to be able to call Grundy and have any changes in my vehicle made on the phone. Now I have to submit everything in writing. I am seriouly considering going with someone else if they don't get their act together soon!

Yea, I agree..the service has certainly deteriorated since the merger. I actually wanted to change companies but every other collector car company from which I got quotes was at least 50% higher for the same basic coverage. Hopefully, they'll get their act together this year or I may not renew with them next May...

Old 05-05-2012, 08:43 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Hope to hear some input from my fellow Canadians. Where are you shopping for insurance for your prides and joys and how do they compare to our friends south of the border?

Old 05-05-2012, 09:18 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Dano78
I too am a Veteran and have all my rigs through USAA. They are currently covering the '56, but just on liability. When asked about full coverage, they too kicked me over to American Collectors insurance. This would be a seperate policy not tied at all to your USAA policy.

With Liability set at 300k/300k/10k, Comp, Collision, towing and labor, $500 of spare parts and an 'agreed value' of the truck @ 10k the quote comes in at $162.95 a year. (pending i send them pics of the truck)
Like others, they wanted to know how it was stored and did not want you driving it 'daily', no vacation trips, no towing or hauling or driving to work. They do not have a mileage limitation all.
I haven't gone with them yet, the driving limitations kinda bother me. i only live 5 miles from work and would like to drive the truck every once in a while. not to mention on my Fridays off, I'd use it as my run-around rig for the day, as well as the weekends. So, I dunno, still mulling it over.
You can drive it so you can get service done or to do a road test to check on the work that you have done. And it sounds like you are not driving it to work daily. And you are not hauling things commercially? Even if you are uncomfortable with that $162/year is pretty inexpensive compared to your daily driver I'm sure.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
You can drive it so you can get service done or to do a road test to check on the work that you have done. And it sounds like you are not driving it to work daily. And you are not hauling things commercially? Even if you are uncomfortable with that $162/year is pretty inexpensive compared to your daily driver I'm sure.
No, not 'daily' per say but will be driving it quite more often once I get seat bells in it for the kids. Every morning i take the kids to their grandparents' house before i head to work. Add baseball practices as well as picking the kids up after work, seatbelts are a must as the kids are with me almost 100% of the time. Workin on the seatbelt issue as we speak. As for hauling, it's gonna get some light-truck use, but certainly not commercially.
And you're right, the price is very inexpensive and hard to beat. I'm a firm believer that strings are always attached and that if i were to get in an accident on what they would consider a 'questionable' drive i may be playing hell to get a settlement from them.
My only real problem isthe driving restriction. If I want to head out of the driveway on a sat or even Fri mornin and pick a destination on the map, say up in the woods for a curvy drive, and i hit a deer on the way back. I'm sure they are gonna want to know what I'm doing up there and why I'm on that road. Then they could say that i shouldn't have been up there and may deny my claim. That's what i worry about. Insurance companies are not in the business of loosing money, that's for sure...
I have nothing but good things to say about USAA and can only assume that ACI would have to meet their standards in order for them to recommend them and use them in a joint-effort. I want to call ACI back again and talk a little more with one of their agents and make sure this is gonna work with the way i use the truck. Cheap doesn't always mean it's the best choice.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:28 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
My 46 Ford is insured with State Farm Insurance for the past 8 years and here are the numbers:

Premium for 1 year = $304.61
Stated Value (State Farm) = $30,000.00
Coverages:
Liability = $250K/$500K
Property = $100K pere Accident
Medical = $5K per person
Comp Coverage = $100 deductable
Collision = $500 deductable
Emergency road service
Unisnured Motor vehicle = $250K/$500K

Note: The above figures are for a period of 4 months out of the year. The remaining 8 months the vehicle has only Comp coverage because the car is stored in a garage and is not driven. My 48 F1 is under construction and will be covered the same way.

__________________________________________________ __
46 Ford Tudor - Street Rod
48 Ford F1 - Darkside

" I spent most of my Life building cars, the rest of it was just wasted"

Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Some of you who want to use your trucks a bit more might want to investigate farm truck type insurance. Be mindful that all policies are different. I've discussed this with my SF agent and will probably go to this option when I get my '56 F-350 back on the road as I do plan on using it. After all, it is a truck and truck are made for hauling stuff, not just lookin' pretty.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Good advice, but some of us live in the city where there isn't farm policies available.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Eds56Effie
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found this info interesting on a Corvette Forum recently with regards to "stated amount" coverage:
STATED AMOUNT
Research has revealed there are, in fact, two types of stated policies. One is a stated amount policy in which the premium is based on an amount stated by the insured. Losses, however, are still based on the actual cash value (ACV) of the property at the time of loss, but not to exceed the stated amount. To pay the stated amount automatically would create a moral hazard in that policy holders could overvalue their cars, thus making a profit. This is contrary to the basic principle of indemnity which is to restore a person to the position they were in before the loss. (Some companies effectively remove the moral hazard by having their agents inspect the car prior to issuing the policy.)

The words STATED AMOUNT on the declaration page is a red flag. Read the respective endorsement very carefully. More than likely, it is based on ISO form E167 which states:
"The limit of the company's liability for loss shall be the lesser of:
(a) the stated amount shown in the Declarations,
(b) the actual cash value of the stolen or damaged property, or
(c) the amount necessary to repair or replace the stolen or damaged property."
Unless it was written by one of the few companies issuing such policies, you probably will find the policy does not say the company will automatically pay the stated amount in the event of total loss. In addition, discuss this with your agent immediately. Ask the following questions:
1) Will the policy, in fact, pay the stated amount (agreed value) in the event of a total loss?
2) If no, why did you buy it?
3) If yes, have him show you where it says that in the policy.
4) Will the company insure the same car under a standard indemnity policy?
5) If so, what would be the premium?
6) What additional consideration are you receiving by paying the additional premium?
Remember, have your agent show you, in writing, where it says the insurance company will pay the stated amount (agreed value) in the event of a total loss.
If you have a stated value policy and have not yet suffered a loss, it is suggested, in the strongest possible terms, that you read it, paying particular attention to the section entitled "limits of liability.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 48 Steel
My 46 Ford is insured with State Farm Insurance for the past 8 years and here are the numbers:

Premium for 1 year = $304.61
Stated Value (State Farm) = $30,000.00
Coverages:
Liability = $250K/$500K
Property = $100K pere Accident
Medical = $5K per person
Comp Coverage = $100 deductable
Collision = $500 deductable
Emergency road service
Unisnured Motor vehicle = $250K/$500K

Note: The above figures are for a period of 4 months out of the year. The remaining 8 months the vehicle has only Comp coverage because the car is stored in a garage and is not driven. My 48 F1 is under construction and will be covered the same way.

__________________________________________________ __
48 Ford F1 - Darkside

" I spent most of my Life building cars, the rest of it was just wasted"
Attached to my Policy Booklet just received: "2. Limits and Loss Settlement-Comprehensive Coverage and Collision Coverage

If loss is to your car, item 1.b(1) is changed to read:

You and we agree that the actual cash value of your car is the vehicle value shown on the Declarations Page unless:

1. your car has been damaged;
2. parts or equipment have been removed from your car; or
3. your car's condition has changed due to abuse or neglect
after the vehicle value shown on the Declarations Page was agreed to
and prior to the loss.
If any of these events have occured, then the agreed upon actual cash value is the vehicle value shown on the Declaration Page reduced by the decrease i the value of your car due to such damage caused by the abuse or neglect.

_______________________________________-
48 Ford F1 - Darkside

Last edited by 48 Steel; 05-06-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-07-2012, 12:08 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
It's always better to overstate the value of your vehicle on a stated value policy than to under-insure it.

Actual cash value (ACV) usually means market value, i.e., determined by the market at the time of the loss. When a total loss occurs, a third-party company, like CCC or ADP, will research the market value for the particular vehicle and provide an ACV report to the insurance company that subscribes to their service in order to settle the total loss.

For example, just because you insured your vehicle for $20k in a stated amount policy, doesn't mean that you'll get paid that amount. Even though you're paying your premium based on the $20k stated value, if you vehicle is worth less at the time of the loss, you will be paid the ACV of the vehicle or the cost of repairs up to $20k. If you vehicle's ACV is above $20k at the time of loss, you will only receive payment for the maximum amount stated on your policy, which is $20k.

Quick Reply: Collector vehicle insurance