Purchased a 2012 F-150...thoughts on reasonable price? - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:55 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
you did very well.

i tried to buy that same truck last year for the same price before TTL. (before my CFO shut me down)

2012 prices went up a bit, and the E-lock is more expensive than the Limited Slip ... so you did quite well.
That's what I like to hear. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:47 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Wait..no picture of the ashtray???

Great looking truck dude...congrats. I have always liked a metallic blue like that...mine will have to be black though.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,229 Likes on 807 Posts
The Blue was my next choice if Black was not available.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
nothing looks better than a clean-shiney-black vehicle ..... nothing looks worse than a dirty one.

dark blue is a close second .... i do love'em though !

Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
my only suggestion would be to remove the dealer name tag from the tailgate. but either way congrats and enjoy your new ride. I hope to be able to do that well when i finally get to make my own purchase soon. my problem though is that i am not a good negotiator.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Originally Posted by paredneck33
my only suggestion would be to remove the dealer name tag from the tailgate. but either way congrats and enjoy your new ride. I hope to be able to do that well when i finally get to make my own purchase soon. my problem though is that i am not a good negotiator.
I agree. I plan on removing that dealer sticker ASAP. I just don't want to hurt the paint. It REALLY irritates me that dealers think they can put THEIR sticker on MY pickup that I shelled over 32k over.

If I was nearby I would help you negotiate. This is literally all you have to do.

1. Call a dealer, have them quote you their LOWEST price (let them know you're shopping around at other dealers, and IF their price is the lowest, you will buy from them. Be sure and get it in writing, (I had an email that I could pull up on my phone when I was at the dealer) cause anyone can say "Oh x dealer will give me a better price" but if they see you have a quote from another dealer, they know you're serious.

2. Ask them if they can beat that price that you just showed them, and if they say yes, ask by how much. When they tell you, you call the other dealer back and say "Hey I'm over at x dealer, and they quoted me this. I really wanted to buy from you cause you seemed straight up and honest, but they're giving me a better deal (and you can even get the two salesman to talk to each other), is there any way you can match it?" That salesman then starts scrambling and sure enough, this "lowest price" wasn't actually his lowest price. Come to find out he can actually go quite a bit lower. So then you say this, Hey, x dealer just beat your price, I'm going to drive up there and take a look (THIS FREAKS THEM OUT, they're afraid that if you leave, the other dealer might get your sale!!!) THIS is where you just gained full control of the situation and they'll do everything in their power to get you to stay. (it also helps to have good credit, I have an 803 score so they knew I can go anywhere in the city and get approved.) Once they're begging you to stay and not go look at the other dealers' inventory, this is where the deals starting appearing. He literally asked, "what would it take for me to put you in that truck, bottom dollar" (now here is where you have to be smart and in the ball park, not a HUGE lowball, but you have to lowball them a little." I KNEW that most people were paying around 33 - 34k plus tax. I told him, IF you can get me OUT THE DOOR, (<------------you have to make that part VERY clear so they don't slap on extra fees, like dealer hold-backs, etc) repeat, OUT THE DOOR, at 32k, YOU PAY TAXES (meaning you're telling the dealer they pay TTL) then you say I'll buy it. BUT, you have to be serious about that number, because if they bite, it looks bad if you don't hold up your end. That is how my buying experience went. Of course there were more calls back and forth, but I didn't want to make this post too long. Now, the whole time you're doing this, you have to

3. Know your facts...know what packages you want, what every package is worth, cause they'll try and sell you a "similar equipped" vehicle but it may be missing KEY packages (like xlt convenience package). If you know more about the vehicle and the packages and what every package has because you've done your research, you've automatically gained more control over the convo. After that, the manager (cause you've already way outsmarted the salesman) will pull you in his office and want to talk. This is where you know you've gained even a little more control. Now, he is frantically looking for vehicles on his computer, trying to match or beat that other dealer. I literally stood up and leaned over his desk so I could see his computer monitor. It's your right, you're the buyer! Now EVERY vehicle that you think you may be interested in AFTER you named your price, ask him to print out the window sticker right then and there so you can compare packages, options, etc.

4. Be assertive. Salesman prey on hesitance/lack of confidence. If they sense a hint of it, they'll walk all over you. I usually let them know what I do, (I tell them I do Cyber Systems Operations for the USAF and primarily do math in binary and hexadecimal, so I have NO probelms with doing math in decimal) and let them know that you're NOT stupid. Not being arrogant, but just let them know that you're not stupid and you are MORE than willing to walk out that door any second. I know sometimes it's hard cause you feel rude, but it's ok. One time I was on the phone with the other dealer and he came out and was like, "you ready Jonathan"????? (meaning ready to sign, like it was a done deal) in a real stern voice. I didn't even look at him; I held my pointer finger up in the air like "shut up" and kept talking. If he's going to be rude and interrupt me on the phone, I'll be rude right back. After he got the hint, I was very polite, and so was he. The sooner they make you "feel" like it's a done deal, the sooner they get you to sign. Remember, it's NEVER DONE UNTIL YOU DRIVE IT HOME. (even then you can return it, but that's a different story). So, if they're rushing you, take your time! The more they rush, the more you should be hesitant and move SLOWER!

5. DON'T LET THEM RUSH YOU. Rushing you doesn't give you time to do the math and think everything through. They are making a sale off of YOU, so they owe it to YOU do give you your time. For EVERY number that they throw at you (in the most confusing way possible, of course) have them stop, take out your pen, paper, calculator, etc, or whatever you like, and do the math YOURSELF. Never EVER trust their numbers! Do the math yourself, and once YOU feel satisfied with the sum/difference/etc, THEN tell them to proceed. It's like a relationiship...YOU need to be in control, not the girlfriend (or car salesman in this case )

6. DO YOUR OWN MATH. no matter how they present it, it WILL be in the most complicated and confusing manner possible, and half the time, it's wrong. Us humans are naturally trusting, so when someone says something, we trust them. You can't trust salesman. If you feel a number is wrong, KINDLY argue with them with YOUR calculator until THEY prove to YOU that you're wrong, or else you prove them wrong. NEVER take their math as the final say. My car salesman (before I got to the manager) told me that if I traded, I'd only pay taxes on cost of the trade, not the cost of the vehicle. So when we got inside and did the numbers, tax was going to be 1900 something. I asked him how in the world 6.25% of 1000 is 1900...he had no idea what to say. They'll tell you anything and if you don't think about it (although this was obvious) you may accidentally overlook it. CHECK EVERY NUMBER.

That's all I can think of right now, I'm sure there's more. It's honestly just a balance of being genuine, assertive, confident, and knowledgeable all at the same time, all while maintaining control of the situation. Hope that helps a bit and good luck buying!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest word of advice I can give, is if the deal isn't there, walk away. If they really want your business they will come running after you.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
That^^ and be sure you got your smart phone and a good buddy that you can call when you forget what packages have what.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:57 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
dude you got a great deal as long as your happy with it!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 AM
jonbar87
Tuned
Very happy. I'm in love already.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Now you need to change your avatar...or photoshop ten mexicans running drugs into it.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWhiteBeast
Now you need to change your avatar...or photoshop ten mexicans running drugs into it.
Um

Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 AM
jonbar87
Tuned
LOL. Yeah I do. I was actually working on it last night

Old 04-28-2012, 12:41 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Um
It was stolen in San Antonio and we figure that it is out in the desert running drugs for the cartels.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Updates

Quick Reply: Purchased a 2012 F-150...thoughts on reasonable price? - Pics