6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

15 degree EOT/ECT delta an absolute rule?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 PM
kidoo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say your readings are most normal, as long as it goes down after working it hard. Your ECT will vary much faster than EOT. From what I understand, this is totally normal looking at the size of the radiator, plus the sensor is right beside the thermostat, lots of fluid going through there, As for oil coolant, the coolant has to wiggle it's way through oil cooler and then through the EGR, heat exchange cannot be has quick with the warm oil.

My ECT is always colder in cold weather, 184 to 188, it varies. In warm weather it will go up to 190 to 194.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 AM
surfmanrescue
New User
Originally Posted by Roasted7
I ran 50 degree spread for a year, but I have no egr cooler to blow out. My spread now is 6-8.
Roasted7: did you change your cooler to correct your 50 degree delta, or were you saying that time corrected the issue somehow.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:45 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by surfmanrescue
Roasted7: did you change your cooler to correct your 50 degree delta, or were you saying that time corrected the issue somehow.
Time will NOT correct this issue. You most likely have a plugged oil cooler and need to fix the problem before you roast your engine.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Time will NOT correct this issue. You most likely have a plugged oil cooler and need to fix the problem before you roast your engine.

Maybe in a Round about way it will^^

Once the Oil Cooler gets Pushed to Far or To LONG it will Burst and Must be Repaired

Time will Make things More Expensive to fix for Shure

Time Along wont fix it

Just Saying LOL

Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Roasted7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by surfmanrescue
I had to replace the oil cooler.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 PM
gary.l
New User
Running 8 degree difference till I start towing. I have a 12,000 pound 5th wheel. Is running 17 degree difference normal when towing this much.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I run 8 to 10 degrees towing the same app. weight on level ground,ie; on cruise. If I hit a hill it does take a little longer for the eot to come down while towing.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Pat Taugher
Senior User
300 EOT`

I know this post is years old, but seemed to be a good one to post. i just got a scangauge, and i plugged the code in for EOT, and it was mesuring 305*, that seems to high. if it was that high i dont think the truck would be running correctly.

My truck was running just fine, no problems not CEL, so i think have wrong code in there.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:17 PM
az4x4bronc
Senior User
My truck can run 200 ECT - 215 EOT at 75 mph, empty. It takes a while to get there. I think what is confusing about all this is that the temperatures can vary a lot depending what is going on. It would be nice to know how a oil cooler degrades over time. I mean dose it slowly degrade or can there be a jump in deltas. Mine seems to be degrading with time but I think I am good for now. If my EOT ever reads 230 I will become concerned.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat Taugher
I know this post is years old, but seemed to be a good one to post. i just got a scangauge, and i plugged the code in for EOT, and it was mesuring 305*, that seems to high. if it was that high i dont think the truck would be running correctly.

My truck was running just fine, no problems not CEL, so i think have wrong code in there.
I think that you may want to recheck the programming of the SGII
I bet you will find an error in it. 300º is a tad high. Tad as in it's enough
to melt the filter stand pipe and it would not be running very well after that.

One thing to look at with the Delta ∆ is recover time. High ∆ and quick recovery
time and you may still be ok. It's when your recovery time gets really long
that you should be looking into things.

Sean

Old 11-10-2014, 12:25 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat Taugher

Yes. If the oil was REALLY at 300+ degrees, your coolant would likely be above boiling point and the pressure on the cooling system would likely be above 16PSI (boil-over)

You have the settings wrong in your scangauge...........

Old 06-04-2015, 02:53 AM
1949ply
Freshman User
I have an 05, 6.0. I had the dealer replace 2 oil coolers they flushed out the system twice each time with VC-9. I had the dealer install new head gaskets and install ARP head bolts, they put in the EGR delete. I installed the IPR oil cooler bypass system that puts the oil cooler external to the block, external coolant filter. I run the gold antifreeze recommended for this engine, I run ful syntedic Amzoil, I replaced both the EOT and the ECT sending units. My temps run ECT 198 EOT 258, there has to be another reason besides the oil cooler or flushing the system. I was wondering about the check valve under the oil filter or maybe water pump

Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Have you verified that the sensors are reading correctly?
If you have not done so then after an 8Hr cold soak check the
ECT,EOT and TFT they should all 3 be about +/- 2ºF.

Now that you have put an external cooler and filter on it. You
are going to see a different ∆ (delta) temp. Things to look at would
any restriction of coolant or oil flow to the cooler and returns back
to the engine. So this more or less will toss the standard out the window

The cooler making the only real change to the ∆ temp.

But have a look at what I said to look at first. Also look at recovery
time, If the cooler is working and doing it's job the temps should
come back to there "new" normal fairly quickly. If not then it's time
to do some investigating.

Sean

EDIT : wording for clearer understanding. The ∆ is affected by the cooler
change not the addition of a coolant filter.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:26 AM
evan1242
Elder User
so im about to have an external coolant filter on my 6.0, so reading the above post, this means the deltas will no longer be 15* max? i am very OCD about watching EOT and ECT spread.
this will bother me if they are constantly above 15* apart. lol

Old 06-04-2015, 07:49 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
External coolant filter shouldn't affect the efficiency of the oil cooler. If your at 15* now, filtering the coolant won't help, the damage is already done... the issue is coolant flow through the oil cooler and if it's plugged, why the difference in temps. Low coolant flow leads to higher oil temps. If you are above 15* after the level ground for 15 minutes at 65mph test, you should consider an oil cooler replacement after a good chemical flush of the cooling system AND then adding the coolant filter to keep it clean.

Just for info... an EGR delete or adding an external oil cooler is what makes the spread of 15* not accurate/doesn't apply any longer. As the coolant exits the oil cooler (higher temps than normal) it cools the exhaust gases in the EGR cooler even less causing the rupture. If there isn't anything (EGR cooler) to rupture, it doesn't matter any longer. The coolant/oil temp spreads are not as critical... only 253 degrees at that point to cause the truck to go into limp mode and defuel the engine in an attempt to cool the truck. If the coolant isn't cooling effectively, then it's time to change oil coolers. If my oil was running say 230* all the time, I'd be concerned and towing even more concerned about the 253* mark when working the engine hard.

Quick Reply: 15 degree EOT/ECT delta an absolute rule?