1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:38 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I met Steve (the guy with the grey and black truck, 2nd in from right in the picture) at Carlisle Truck Nationals here in PA in August. He's a pretty cool guy.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:54 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's up guys?! Just checking in to say hello. Been a really busy summer with kids, farm, house, and work projects. Kids are all doing 4H animals now and we had our county fair last week (where they all showed their projects). Life is good, but I haven't had a lot of time to spend on the truck. I'm hoping that changes here pretty soon.

Anyhow, good morning from NE Ohio.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
What's up guys?! Just checking in to say hello. Been a really busy summer with kids, farm, house, and work projects. Kids are all doing 4H animals now and we had our county fair last week (where they all showed their projects). Life is good, but I haven't had a lot of time to spend on the truck. I'm hoping that changes here pretty soon.

Fair week, how could I forget, that its been 2 years since Glenn's thrash?!?!

Glad all is well, Nate! I'm hoping to get some time in on mine as well, but with work and school taking 50 hours a week, there isn't much time left to do anything, unless I feel like running myself into the ground, which I do not.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:56 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by madMatador78

Glad all is well, Nate! I'm hoping to get some time in on mine as well, but with work and school taking 50 hours a week, there isn't much time left to do anything, unless I feel like running myself into the ground, which I do not.
Hang in there man, I know it's a lot to work full time and go to school at the same time, but it'll be worth it when it's over. Projects can wait. They'll still be there later.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:15 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic

Dang it I need to come up and visit! Got some DOM delivered today so things MIGHT move forward a tad on my end.

Originally Posted by madMatador78

50 hours!!?? Man I wouldn't know what to do with all my free time! Lol. Wait till you have a few rugrats and house projects. Then the truck stuff really backs up.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tshrager
50 hours!!?? Man I wouldn't know what to do with all my free time! Lol. Wait till you have a few rugrats and house projects. Then the truck stuff really backs up.
I don't know how you do it. Its been a adjustment. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just go to work, or go to school. But school in the morning then work at night with little time in between makes for long days, I think it will be better when I'm done with school. Which is in about 2 weeks.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:50 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Hey glad to see that thing on the road Lee!

Here's a question to help get some conversation going lol. Will a E4OD bolt in place of a 4R100? I tried to Google it and found countless threads on E4 to 4R swaps, but not vise versa.
Bolt pattern is the same (I assume you are talking about diesel?). The scheme for controlling the torque converter (and maybe some other things) is different on an E4 compared to 4R

Old 09-20-2017, 03:03 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Two years already?! That's how I got so old so fast, time flies! I've put over 30K on the OX in these two years and its running great. I've got sodium in my coolant ???? and a oil leak around the hpop that I can't figure out even after new oil lines (riffraft $200). Other then that its running great. The manuel switch for water injection is the cat's ***, if I flip it on BEFORE a hill I'm amazed at it staying below 1200° all the way up the hill. If I ever forget to turn it off then I'll ruin my motor!! Always advantages and disadvantages!

Old 09-20-2017, 06:40 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been two years since the Ox thrash?! Where has the time gone

Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Two years already?! That's how I got so old so fast, time flies! I've put over 30K on the OX in these two years and its running great. I've got sodium in my coolant ???? and a oil leak around the hpop that I can't figure out even after new oil lines (riffraft $200). Other then that its running great. The manuel switch for water injection is the cat's ***, if I flip it on BEFORE a hill I'm amazed at it staying below 1200° all the way up the hill. If I ever forget to turn it off then I'll ruin my motor!! Always advantages and disadvantages!

Use a key-on power source so you don't flood your cylinders if the engine shuts off. You could also wire it through a relay that's tied to the IVS switch so that it shuts off when you let off the throttle.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
It's been two years since the Ox thrash?! Where has the time gone
Seriously. You've been through at least 15 vehicles since then! Lol

Old 09-21-2017, 06:11 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by dclack
Use a key-on power source so you don't flood your cylinders if the engine shuts off. You could also wire it through a relay that's tied to the IVS switch so that it shuts off when you let off the throttle.

Darrin, those are two good ideas. I do have it on a key-on power. What kind of relay that's tied to the IVS switch would work? I was trying to come up with a timer or something but don't think that would be the answer. Its a pretty big nozzle and for example one time I topped a hill and realized my turn was coming up fast. After making the turn my motor was shaking and missing and I realized that my water was on. It doesn't take long for it to get to much water! In that situation the IVS switch would have worked! I do have a light on my toggle switch but like the example above I can get pretty busy controlling that load and forget! Thanks

Old 09-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Red97350
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Glenn,

A relay like this would work. It has NO and NC contacts in it:

Amazon Amazon

Red

Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Thanks Red! I'm retarded when it comes to wiring though, lol. But, the more I think about this idea the more I like it.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:04 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah, it's hard to believe it's been two years since we thrashed on the OX. Time flies!

Glenn, why not just put a boost switch back in the circuit? Use the toggle switch to enable and disable the system and let the boost switch take care of turning it on and off when you're on an off the throttle.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread