Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forced to bulletproof... ALREADY...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
when I do my head studs I will be using OEM gaskets. I'm not running a tuner or any of that nonsense either though. Stock has more than enough power to overheat with factory cooling system.

Sounds like you aren't interested in any advice so good luck with your build.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
when I do my head studs I will be using OEM gaskets. I'm not running a tuner or any of that nonsense either though. Stock has more than enough power to overheat with factory cooling system.

Wow! That's harsh! Doesn't sound like he doesn't care about advice to me bro. Sounds like he's been pretty straight up and has looked into the right stuff here. I'm not sure what you're using for your opinion...a PM we all didn't see perhaps?

Many people did not use OEM head gaskets for their install...you've got no argument there.

MOST head gasket jobs(PLUS OTHER THINGS HE ADDED) cost upwards of $3500...you got no argument there.

He NEVER asked for your advice...you've got no argument there.

He never bagged on you for not reading his post correctly....THE END.

How about some courtesy? Its so nice to be nice, and it costs you nothing.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm not sure why you are dead set on wasting all that money on a FICM when ED can repair it for your for <1/2 the cost...and he can tune her up for you as well. For $350 give/take a few bucks, Ed can hook you up and you'll have a great running 6.0 from the FICM aspect.

I'd also really suggest you ditch those VR gaskets and use OEM.

Lastly...is your X in the same shop where the guy makes all those Youtube videos? Hope he does good work. His videos are funny, and sometimes....heck, most times are just plain old wrong
Originally Posted by Dmntxn77
Why OEM head gaskets???
Because the VR...aka...Black Onyx gaskets...are sorta known for blowing

You are going to have a hard time finding guys with a blown OEM gasket with a studded motor. A studded motor with VR (BO) gaskets is completely different. Many many guys here on FTE alone. Scoot over to PSN and you'll find many more there as well

Originally Posted by hasteranger
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
Wow! That's harsh! Doesn't sound like he doesn't care about advice to me bro.

How about some courtesy? Its so nice to be nice, and it costs you nothing.
maybe you read things in a nicer vein, but I was reading the same thing myself. He's set his mind and can't be swayed. Either way, best of luck. Sucks to drop that kind of money into a vehicle so soon after buying it. Hate seeing stories like this

Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hasteranger... This isn't the first post of yours that I have read that didn't follow your own advice that you offer in your signature line. Think about it.....

Peace2Peep... Thanks!

Tylus... Don't take sloppy seconds on the hate train. That's just gross...

Regarding the gaskets... I have done a lot of research and asked a lot of questions, plus my the mechanic has a lot of experience. However its not too late, so I will continue asking more questions an we will see what happens...

Regarding the FICM... Go back and reread. I'm not dead set on anything. I don't even know if its bad. That's just my guess, not the mechanics. And in a perfect world I would be able to go the perfect rute. However, currently my X is dead. I had to tow it to the shop. I NEED it fixed, and I need it now. It is my family rig and the only vehicle that we own that can fit all 6 of us. I don't have time to ship my FICM off to get fixed and I don't have the money to have my X towed home after the shop work minus a ficm. Nor do I have the money for a rental to cover the extra time it will take to get my FICM back in the mail.

So yeah, a big mileage gain sounds awesome, but its probably not currently in the cards for me.

Thanks for the opinions, and please keep the comming.... All the other crap though, you can keep it.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 AM
grishw1
Senior User
Hasteranger... This isn't the first post of yours that I have read that didn't follow your own advice that you offer in your signature line. Think about it.....

Peace2Peep... Thanks!

Regarding the gaskets... I have done a lot of research and asked a lot of questions, plus my the mechanic has a lot of experience. However its not too late, so I will continue asking more questions an we will see what happens...

Regarding the FICM... Go back and reread. I'm not dead set on anything. I don't even know if its bad. That's just my guess, not the mechanics. And in a perfect world I would be able to go the perfect rute. However, currently my X is dead. I had to tow it to the shop. I NEED it fixed, and I need it now. It is my family rig and the only vehicle that we own that can fit all 6 of us. I don't have time to ship my FICM off to get fixed and I don't have the money to have my X towed home after the shop work minus a ficm. Nor do I have the money for a rental to cover the extra time it will take to get my FICM back in the mail.

So yeah, a big mileage gain sounds awesome, but its probably not currently in the cards for me.

Thanks for the opinions, and please keep the comming.... All the other crap though, you can keep it.
I understand your frustration. I'm still driving my Tahoe that I thought would be sold already. Good thing I didn't sell before buying the X or I would have been screwed. Making 2 payments sucks, but at least I have not been paying for a rental for three weeks. Hang in there.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Curious how head studs for a big block V8 are $200 but for a diesel they are $500? It is basically the same stud but maybe just a hair bigger.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are success stories with BO gaskets, but many more failures...they all seem to deal with the mechanics not checking the heads before installation. There's a mechanic around here that has a good reputation and only uses OEM gaskets, but he does not have the heads checked out. You could very well be OK with the BO gaskets if the heads are checked and verified "good".

The FICM is a KNOWN failed part with our 6.0's. If it's not dead yet, it will die. Since your rig is not moving now, why not take the 15 minutes and pull the FICM and send it to Ed. Most of the time, he sends them back the same day he gets them. Mine was out of my hands for 4 days and I will never have to worry about it again.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Tylus is giving you very, very good advice, it is not "sloppy seconds."

Tylus had a very helpful post and he gave very good advice. But if you keep responding to people the way you did to Tylus, people aren't going to want to post and help you out. Please take that into consideration when you read someones helpful post. Remember, you can't hear inflection or see body language or facial expressions.

Nobody is forcing you to do it their way, they are however trying to keep you from making the same mistakes as has been previously reported on the internet on various forums.

It's good to see you might be open to suggestions. From your previous posts, it appeared you were asking for opinions, yet were already set in your way regarding how you were going to get your rig fixed.

Thanks for the opinions, and please keep the comming....
We certainly will, just remember though, you have to be open to it.

Now, if you think the FICM is bad, maybe you can get the FICM out and sent to Ed while your rig is down and getting fixed. The timing may not be right, but if it is, it will save you money.

As for your "local guru" it's not that PowerstrokeHelp guy from YouTube like Tylus asked, is it?

Stewart

Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
No, I do not have, nor will.I have any dealings with the YouTube guy...

Just heard from my mechanic. It's not the FICM. It's 4 injectors....

Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
No, I do not have, nor will.I have any dealings with the YouTube guy...

Just heard from my mechanic. It's not the FICM. It's 4 injectors....
Are they on the same side? One bank?

Stewart

Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
Nope... 3 on one side, 1 on the other.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
I don't want to change 4 injectors though... I'm currently waiting on the best deal he.can give me for all 8...

And now I need to buy a scratch off ticket. With all this bad luck, I'm bound to have some good luck somewhere.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search warren diesel and ask for Jess.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
Search warren diesel and ask for Jess.
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm just going to go with the ford reman injectors that my mechanic has. He quoted me $5500 now for all the stuff that I listed before plus all 8 injectors.

That seems pretty good to me. I will get a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on the everything and a 36 month 36,000 mile warranty on the injectors. That gives me the warm fuzzies.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
The only good news so far is that my FICM isnt bad (yet at least), so I may be able to do a preemptive strike against it in the future and ship it off to Ed. That 2.5mpg increase makes my mouth water...

Quick Reply: Forced to bulletproof... ALREADY...