1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Big Blackie - The Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:29 PM
SVTKID92
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One heck of a build my friend, and I enjoyed every second of it. Good luck to you on getting to Kansas and getting a home. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, I'm in a mobile home at the moment and have no where to work on vehicle though I sold my project to buy my home. Once my fiance and I buy a house with a garage I will be buying another project and hopefully be doing almost the same as you attention to detail wise.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:52 PM
Luke76
Elder User
Yes, not having a garage is cruel punishment for a man. Good luck with the house search and may both of us soon be back to working on our projects.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Luke - Please keep in touch. We will be gone in early Sept, so late Sept is best for the GTG. But I understand how busy you'll be as we've moved many times ourselves - which isn't fun in my book.

Anyway, good luck on the trip, the move, and house-hunting.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Luke76
Elder User
I will definitely keep in touch and hopefully I will be more active here again after the move is over and I am all settled in. I've looked forward to attending a GTG for many years but it was a very long-term project to prepare for this move. Just as it's taken a long time to get this truck to the state I'd like it, which is something you know about! You won't have Dad's Truck complete this year either and you've been working on it already for more years even than I have mine.

Perhaps 2018 will be the year both of ours get close to the end of the tunnel.

I'll play it by ear on the GTG this year and let you know.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:02 PM
SVTDriver97
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke76
On the subject of doors, here are a couple photos of the Peel & Seal treatment I did to them. I applied the stuff both to the inner and outer panels. The outer sheet-metal already had some rubbery-gunk applied to it from the factory, but it’s not very thick. I tried scraping it off, but quickly realized that would take me a million years. Instead I just stuck the Peel & Seal on top of it. Hopefully it stays stuck, but it felt pretty good.

I applied all this stuff while the windows were out (I was replacing the glass), and that made it much easier.

I didn’t put any foamy sound-absorbing material in the doors, but that woudn’t be a bad idea. I did put a bit of Frost King insulation on the inside of the plastic door panels, for what it’s worth.

After the Peel & Seal treatment on the doors, and after the locks, windows, and new speakers were installed, I also took some 4mil plastic sheeting and some http://www.amazon.com/3M-08625-Window-Weld-Ribbon-Sealer/dp/B002NETNL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401923389&sr=8-1]3M 08625 “window weld”[/URL] (basically butyl rubber tape) and covered up the openings, to replace the old vapor barrier that was of course disintegrated by now.

Addition of some visqueen (plastic sheeting) to the openings to serve as a vapor barrier
Quick question about the sealing of the door opening around the arm rest bracket. How did you finagle the plastic around the bracket?

Old 01-29-2017, 08:06 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTDriver97
Quick question about the sealing of the door opening around the arm rest bracket. How did you finagle the plastic around the bracket?
By the looks of it, he went over the plastic with the arm rest bracket

Old 01-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
By the looks of it, he went over the plastic with the arm rest bracket
And then covered those spots with a small piece of plastic sheeting.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Luke76
Elder User
Yeah, Brad and Gary about have it. The plastic goes behind the arm rest bracket, and I had short strips of ribbon sealer facing backwards behind the bracket for the plastic to stick to in those spots.

The little pieces of plastic that you can see on the front, which seem totally useless, are in fact totally useless but they were just stuck there to cover up the exposed ends of the short strips of ribbon sealer. Leaving any sealer exposed would attract dirt, stick to me, stick to the door panel, etc...

This is one of those little projects that is much harder to describe than do, and if you get in to it it yourself it will make sense as you do it.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
And, you loved the result? Doors shut solidly with no tinny sound? Road noise is significantly reduced? And you'd do it all over again?

Old 01-29-2017, 09:53 AM
Luke76
Elder User
Ha! The doors shut solidly when the hinge pin bushings aren't cracked, which happens every five minutes. Road noise significantly reduced? Hard to say, I drove 2000 miles this summer but without AC in a black truck I can tell you it was pretty loud with those windows down!

Would I do it all over again? Man, if I had a time machine I wouldn't go back and assassinate baby Hitler, I'd go back to 2012 and tell my young naive self to run away as fast as you can from any wallet-destroying, lawsuit starting, life-sucking, never-ending, never-succeeding truck project that will narrow the options for a future home to million-dollar mansions with detached garages so you end up living in your parent's basement instead while paying hundreds every month to store your truck somewhere you don't even get to look at it for years on end.

But yeah... probably doesn't hurt to throw some plastic in your doors.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Would I do it all over again? Man, if I had a time machine I wouldn't go back and assassinate baby Hitler, I'd go back to 2012 and tell my young naive self to run away as fast as you can from any wallet-destroying, lawsuit starting, life-sucking, never-ending, never-succeeding truck project that will narrow the options for a future home to million-dollar mansions with detached garages so you end up living in your parent's basement instead while paying hundreds every month to store your truck somewhere you don't even get to look at it for years on end.
How encouraging.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yeah, I'm so glad I asked?!

But, I think I can relate. I have how many Bullnose trucks? Three by actual count, and probably five if you were to somehow account for all the parts. And that doesn't include the 2015 and the 1950. And then there's the Bee.

Oh well, in for a penny in for a pound, as they say in the U.K.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Luke76
Elder User
Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. I kind of think it's about the best truck in the world.

But somehow projects do tend to become much larger than you ever imagined....

Old 01-29-2017, 01:27 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,164 Likes on 1,836 Posts
I think a full square mat stuck to the inside of the door to the outside panel would also keep the noise down as the outside door panel acts as a drum.

Then you can use a full plastic sheet behind the inside door panel like the factory did to keep water vapor out.
Dave ----

Old 01-29-2017, 11:49 PM
Cienega32
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[...]
But yeah... probably doesn't hurt to throw some plastic in your doors.

Quick Reply: Big Blackie - The Build