Sponsored by:

Noises from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Noises from the rear

Finished my homework for the night, so here I am!

I posted a while back about hearing noises from the rear of the '05, possibly the rear sway bar bushings. Well now that I have it back on the road, it's still there and loud as ever. Occasionally it goes away, then other times it's really loud.

When I did the oil change on Saturday, I checked bolts. I checked every bolt with the rear sway bar end links, all of which were tight. I didn't disconnect it, because honestly, the bushings looks basically brand new, as they should. I'd be surprised if these were gone.

So then I remembered hearing that the rear shocks can come loose on the top. So I crawled back there and checked all six bolts. A couple top ones were just a little loose, but not much and it wasn't enough to make noise.

The noise is still there after all that.

I have put no air in the rear air bags, 20#, and 60#, and the noise is still the same regardless, so I don't think that's it. It was difficult to try to replicate the noise myself since I couldn't easily rock the Ex and lay underneath at the same time. It made it once, and then I couldn't replicate it again . It's definitely from the rear axle area, but I couldn't quite tell if it was driver's side or passenger side.

Since it still has the factory shocks on it, I can't believe they are that bad at just shy of 58k, but could a rear shock make such a noise if it were like really bad inside? I know I hit a small bump the other day (that I've gone over with the black one all the time), and the front bottomed out hard with 5 PSI in the front bags. So I'm thinking the front shocks might be gone alone just from such a hard hit (aka shock absorbing fail).

Jon