General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

RESIDENT EXPERTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
RESIDENT EXPERTS

We need to identify the resident experts of the various sub-systems of our trucks.

For instance, I'm having an AC issue. Not being an "expert", I need to find one here.

If you are an expert in something like A/C, rebuilding differentials, automajic transmissions, CAN BUS systems etc., could you identify yourself? I need to friend you so that you can be my "go-to" person on that subject.

A free room here on Maui that is one block from the ocean is your reward for your help*.

*subject to my wife's approval. No smelly people, hippies or Progressives permitted..

Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm an expert on living life without bathing, and I support members of same sex marriages that like to smoke weed while listening to Cat Stevens.

When can I come over?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figure I can be and expert in the AC system in 3-4 years, but if I have a place to study (and live) for free I could cut that down to 3-4 months. I'll have to check on how much vacation time I have coming to know for certain.

I am clean, relatively conservative, and am unable to grow hair on a lot of my head so hippie isn't a problem ( at least if you mean the freak flag kind of hippie).

What's your address?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im an expert in drinkin beer and gettin stuck.

Though seriously, I think this is acoolidea.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Not to be a wet blanet, but why would an 'expert ' want to do that?

( I am a certified bungler, however, and I would be glad to help )

But, what I'm trying to say is that these folks worked hard to get their knowledge, and that's probably what they do all day. Why would they want to be 'on call' from fte? (for $0.00)

Now, if you read through the various forums, you will see that many folks are generous with replies in their fields. You can pretty much tell by the detail and precision of a reply when it's from somebody who is pretty knowledgeable. I would imagine that they're basically interested in that area, and welcome the chance to comment on an interesting problem. But, all they get for it is satisfaction -- and the occasional rep point.

My take is that if you have an issue, you post in the most appropriate place in as clear a manner as you can. Often, some relatively qualified folks will have suggestions -sometimes, for whatever reason, you strike out. Maybe nobody was around, or the issue has been beaten to death many times -- whatever. No guarantees. To me, fte is a community of folks who help when they can.

Hope I'm not sounding preachy, crabby, or whatever. I'm just presenting my opinion on the subject.

Just my .02

hj

Old 04-21-2012, 07:52 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Anyone who spends any time on FTE tends to quickly learn who has their poop in a group about the various parts of our trucks. Along with some very knowledgeable and experienced moderators there's a few former or current engineers along with real life professional mechanics too. Right off the top of my mind come the names Mark Kovalsky (auto trans), Franklin1 (moderator, electrical guru) and of course the late Johnny Langton who sadly can't contribute any longer.

More than a few others have valuable real-world, hands-on experience who freely post their advice or actual fixes they're preformed. There's nothing more valuable than listening to someone whose already made all the mistakes and discovered the best or easier way.

Yeah its not always acknowledged or said out loud but help is always appreciated. Those few times I've been able to do something useful is gratifying enough. Rep points are nice but when they don't come it certainly doesn't affect when/if I'll offer help when, where I can.

Good idea though-----just too many qualified reliable guys to pick out only a few!