Long time since posting in this forum ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 01:40 AM
TOUGHLover
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long time since posting in this forum ...

Gents (and any lady tow'ers out there!)- can anyone give me an idea of how much weight I can SAFELY load into the bed of my Ranger (specs mentioned in signature below)?

Looking at the possibility of 1000 lbs of 'Multi-Mag.' (salt) for the bovine tomorrow - drive (haul) will be mostly through the valley (mostly flat road) at 50-60 mph.

Any replies appreciated -

THX -

Glenn ...

Last edited by TOUGHLover; 05-01-2003 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:49 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Question Long time since posting in this forum ...

I would be careful with that much weight in a little ranger. I have one and I did haul that much and almost regreated it. I was over loaded. Of course I have the 4 banger, If you have the 6 then it might handle it. Suspension is rated for 850 for mine. I think the V6 can haul a little more. Check out the ratings at www.trailerlife.com. they have the listings for everything under the sun. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2003, 01:51 AM
TOUGHLover
Elder User

Thanks SouthernDually!

Old 05-01-2003, 09:39 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Look inside the drivers door for the certification label. It will give you the vehicles front and rear axle weight rating as well as the vehicle GVW. If the GVW is 5400 pounds(or what ever it says) subtract your vehicle weight to get the usable load for the box. I would estimate your vehicle with 2 passengers and a load of fuel at 3700 pounds. Looks like you would be ok loading a half ton in the back as long as you distribute the weight evenly or centered over the axle. Do not exceed the RGAWR rear gross axle weight rating. Remember to pump up your rear tire pressure to support the added weight.

Old 05-01-2003, 10:12 AM
TOUGHLover
Elder User

Thanks ranger pat - I know about the even distribution, and already aired-up the tires -- it's just knowing what my actual vehicle weight is (and adding/subtracting approximates!) that is confusing to me - I'm a good hour away from any scales ... wait a minute, the local dump might have a scale (?) - all that GVW/GVWR/GAWR etc. makes my head spin sometimes!

Anyway, thanks again - I'll check the door sticker certificate (once again) and see if I can 'do the math'.

THX - Glenn . . .

Old 05-02-2003, 01:11 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User

That is one sweet little truck you have there. Also If you would like to know anything about the V-rod drop me aline...Did you see the discovery thing on birth...I'm the guy in the leathers on the superspeedway. Thought you might like to know.
Toughlover: also make sure you double and triple check the tires on the trailer. I have seen brand new trailers with crappy tires and underinflated. Check your tires (trailer) about every 100 miles or so the first time that you take it out. Problems will jump right up and let you know. Hopefully you can deal with them before the become real problems. have fun.