Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Any Intakes Kits Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
cbzdel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Intakes Kits Worth It?

I dont know why I have a strong urge to buy a intake kit, I see they are around $200 and all I see really for the 3 valve is the K&N, AFE and Poweraid.. I like the look of the K&N the best because it comes with the most parts and cost the same as the AFE and Poweraid..

What am I gaining for around $200, I doubt I will gain any mpg, I doubt I will gain any noticeable power.. So all I am getting is some points in the "cool department"?? I put an intake system on my wifes car and now there is a nice grow from under the hood, does it happen with the 6.8l as well??

Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the way to evaluate the technical merit of a product is to go to US patent department website and conduct a search on either company name or product description or both . You will see it right there , if it is proven technically . It works for me , it might work for you too .

Good luck,

Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally like the Airaid and IMHO the intake mod is a much better add-on than an exhaust kit. I also had an Airaid on my 2002 7.3 and it was alot easier to get off-on for cleaning than alot of the others. Took about 20 minutes to change from the stock setup to the Airaid on my 2008. I've had it on for 90,000 miles with no complaints.

Pap

Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
What made you choose the Airraid? The only reason I like the K&N is because it came with a replacement tube from the filter to the throttle body, and replaces that crinkle pipe that is currently in there.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
First thing I did was change the intake back to stock (traded someone) from the K&N FIPK kit that my Excursion had on it. To noisy for me. I felt no performance gains. Note that most of them say "up to" so many HP and MPG gain. If they really worked then why don't they say "at least" so many HP and MPG? The stock V10 intake is known to be able to flow a lot more air then it will ever need. Put your money somewhere else.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
See personally I like the sounds of aftermarket intake and exhaust as well as superchargers and turbo chargers.. I put an intake and exhaust on my wife's car and I cant get enough of the go pedal now

Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM
hogryder007
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you will gain is more noise and a lighter wallet. If you look at your stock filter setup, you'll notice it's already a CAI.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
take the 200$ and go throw it on the road..

same effect...

cept the air intake is more likely to dust your MAF sensor and be noiser throu the RPM band.

personaly i think all those CAI are about as usefull as a throttle body spacer on a EFI engine.. in other words. SCAM...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 PM
onug
Postmaster
I think the urge is because they're a cheap mod and the advertised gains are tempting. I've put them on three of my last vehicles and they were all a waste. More noise and no power. I actually did dyno tests on my '05 F-150 5.4 before and after putting on a cold-air system and high-flow cat-back exhaust. My power graphs looked just like what the intake mfgs show online, but reversed. Not only did I loose power, I was running my engine very lean. Ironically, I picked my air intake because it "was engineered specifically to prevent a lean condition on the 5.4 engine". So much for truth in advertising.

And the MPG savings will never happen. Your engine will detect the increased air and add more fuel to keep the right fuel-to-air ratio. In the end you'll still use the same amount of fuel to get down the road.

I live about 30 miles North of you. If you want to waste $200, I'll drive down and let you fill my tank.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
For my 2-valve, the Volant did help some - at points where I hear the intake noise, it definitely added some torque. Overall though, at $235, not sure it's really "worth" it

Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by cbzdel
See personally I like the sounds of aftermarket intake and exhaust as well as superchargers and turbo chargers.. I put an intake and exhaust on my wife's car and I cant get enough of the go pedal now
NOTE: If you do end up getting an intake... make sure that you get one with dry filter media or you will be cleaning your MAF and IAC "at least" annually.

I do believe in exhaust systems and have one on my V10. If I could get a free flowing quiet exhaust system I would run that in a heartbeat, but you can't have both. My V10 came with a Bassini exhaust system on it. For a V10 it is a gorgeous sound. Not very noisy till you get on it.

I also love the sound of boosted engines. I used to drive with the passenger window down so that I could listen to the turbo talking to me. Completely different conversation on the intake side.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 AM
mudfuel06
Elder User
I put the Airaid on when I got my truck, it had a drop-in K&N before. The major thing that I noticed was a drop in MPG's, about a mile per gallon. However, I do think it increased the HP a little and the sound is nice to listen to.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM
cbzdel
Elder User
I really thought these intakes are worth something, due to 5 star selling them in his performance packages.. Everyone has so much faith in 5 start and his tuner, but everyone knocks the intake he sells? Oh well more money for something else.. How about a throttle body spacer?? Just kidding haha

(meaning no offense, just trying to understand these darn intake systems haha)

Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
the reason why aftermarket CIA's it dont work on the V10's is because the factory already has the stock intake and size of the throttle body opening so large, it flows more air then the engine can use..

its basicly a CIA right from the factory..

Old 04-18-2012, 06:56 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
So is there any reason to upgrade the filter itself? A k&n pannel filter maybe? Or is that a waste as well?

Quick Reply: Any Intakes Kits Worth It?