1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Other than a M5OD or ZF...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM
siloketh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Other than a M5OD or ZF...

Other than the zf5 or m5od as suitable mods for ol' veronica, arent there any other manual 5speeds out there that are mechanical and not hydraulic that could be installed behind a 300 powerplant?

I understand modifications would be needed and the transmissions mentioned earlier are hydraulic. Im looking for a mechanical alternative. Thanks for any input

Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
No alternatives. There is nothing wrong with the hydraulic system except the occasional report of a cracked firewall, and that takes a long time to happen on a truck that has never had a clutch master on it before.

Some people with diesels or 460's have modified the external slave system to accept the mechanical clutch linkage.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Franklin2
No alternatives. There is nothing wrong with the hydraulic system except the occasional report of a cracked firewall, and that takes a long time to happen on a truck that has never had a clutch master on it before.

Some people with diesels or 460's have modified the external slave system to accept the mechanical clutch linkage.

I wasn't sure if it was possible to make a ZF5 run a mechanical clutch.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KingBigJoe
I wasn't sure if it was possible to make a ZF5 run a mechanical clutch.
The small-block/300 six ZF5's have a built-in slave cylinder so it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to go mechanical with them. But, the big block and diesel ZF5's have external slaves and can be used with a mechanical linkage.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there anyway to modify the small block ZF to run the BB bellhousing setup? Love to have one but really prefer the external slave setup.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Sure, just need to be able to weld aluminum, do some machine work and adapt the BB/Diesel set up over to the SBF pattern trans. The bells are integral, so there is no swapping.

What is the big deal about swapping to a juice clutch? Some '83s and all '84s have a hydraulic set up that should swap right in.

Are you hauling and towing? Or is it just a driver? If just a driver, you can put a T5 in there, and use your existing bell with an adapter. Sound easier?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I have a hydraulic clutch now and it works fine. I don't want to swap the bell housings what I was wondering is if there was a way to modify the SB bell so you could use the BB style external slave. Just like the idea of an external slave instead of the internal. A lot easier to change if it goes bad.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:11 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,595 Likes on 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by kedwinh
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I have a hydraulic clutch now and it works fine. I don't want to swap the bell housings what I was wondering is if there was a way to modify the SB bell so you could use the BB style external slave. Just like the idea of an external slave instead of the internal. A lot easier to change if it goes bad.
Cutting and welding and machine work. The bell is part of the trans. for these.

Is the T5 an option???

Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 AM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Yea, it might be. Just don't think it would be as strong or have as good gearing. Gonna have to see if I can pick up a junk M5OD or ZF and see if it can maybe be modified to mount to a standard bellhousing. See if the attached bell can be cut off and fab a mount to a regular bellhousing. Or maybe an inspection window of some kind so the slave can be swapped without pulling the trans. Just something to play around with.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:39 AM
siloketh
Senior User
There is also the nv4500 but an adapter would be needed ($$$). I will not be doing any towing/hauling with the truck, its strictly a daily driver. I dont have much experiance with transmissions other tban the cabled mustang. The main purpose behind this is find a viable alternative to the zf/m5 that could bolt to the 300 (300/302/351 has the same pattern according to other fte members) and be able to handle up to medium duty if the need arises. Tremec has transmissions that could fit my application, but I dont see myself slaming gears from light to light. Their Easy Shift 5/7 speed medium duty trans looked tempting to be honest, but I dont know alot about those. Either way, I would be open to both mech/hydraulic transmissions. I hope this helps clear things up lol

Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kedwinh
Or maybe an inspection window of some kind so the slave can be swapped without pulling the trans. Just something to play around with.
Great concept, but not possible. The "slave" is concentric, and fits over the input shaft. No way to change the slave without moving the trans back about 12". By the time it's that far back, might as well just drop it.

The reason these internal slaves got their bad reputation has to do with the factory part, and most replacements, being made of plastic. There are a few companies that offer a metal housing slave. Using one of these, and flushing the system every 2 years max, will typically make the slave outlive the clutch/PP 2-3 times over.

Plastic is cheaper than metal, so I can understand why the later models went to plastic slave/master. But, that doesn't mean these can't be swapped for a more durable setup when the time comes.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Originally Posted by Rogue_Wulff
There are a few companies that offer a metal housing slave.
On the part of me being lazy at the moment, any idea of who these companies are?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaga1973
On the part of me being lazy at the moment, any idea of who these companies are?

Thanks!
Perfection/hy test is one (Advance auto). I'm too lazy to look for others right now......

Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
OK, now I understand. Wasn't thinking internal slave as in throw out bearing, was picturing a regular slave cylinder. Yep I agree, if you have to pull the trans to get the throwout off just as well drop it and do the whole clutch. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Never worked with one of the M5OD or ZF's before. But guess after thinking about it, hydraulic throwout is about the only way to do an internal.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by siloketh
There is also the nv4500 but an adapter would be needed ($$$). I will not be doing any towing/hauling with the truck, its strictly a daily driver. I dont have much experiance with transmissions other tban the cabled mustang. The main purpose behind this is find a viable alternative to the zf/m5 that could bolt to the 300 (300/302/351 has the same pattern according to other fte members) and be able to handle up to medium duty if the need arises. Tremec has transmissions that could fit my application, but I dont see myself slaming gears from light to light. Their Easy Shift 5/7 speed medium duty trans looked tempting to be honest, but I dont know alot about those. Either way, I would be open to both mech/hydraulic transmissions. I hope this helps clear things up lol
I am still a little confused. The zf will stand up to anything you want to do, what's wrong with it?