6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

CEL -what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Laner
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by galaxie641
IT does that when it hasn't completed a cycle for several times. Worst I've had is 50+ miles of regen all while towing heavy. Easily used a 1/4 tank during that crap.
OK. I guess I thought it completed the regen earlier in the week, however it sounds like it didn't complete. Maybe I am being over concious of the regens and worried that I am missing something. Want to make sure everything is in good shape before the warranty is gone....then I can do the mods I'm thinking about....DPF delete and tuner -NO MORE REGENS!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by Laner
OK. I guess I thought it completed the regen earlier in the week, however it sounds like it didn't complete. Maybe I am being over concious of the regens and worried that I am missing something. Want to make sure everything is in good shape before the warranty is gone....then I can do the mods I'm thinking about....DPF delete and tuner -NO MORE REGENS!!!
The other part of it is you were towing at the same time you were trying to burn the soot.

I have had it a couple of times when towing.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Gcapell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I tell if my truck is doing a regen. I have an 08 F350 6.4.

I also have the Banks Ram Air, Exhaust, 6gun and IQ. I really don't know how to use it though. I always keep it on setting 2 economy. I also have doubts that I am actually getting better mileage too but that's beside the point. Should I be doing something with my tuner to delete the DPF. This is all so new to me.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
on the iq, under performance you can see all the readouts, select one for regen

Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Gcapell
New User
And when I do that it will tell me when I'm in a Regen. Should I do something to disable the regen or would that be bad for the truck. I imagine it does the regen for a purpose that is good for the longevity of the truck yet I see so many posts of people who want to disable or have disabled the regen. My truck has 107k now and I will start my camping season and towing this weekend so I just need this baby to last.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
The regen is an EPA mandated emissions control.

What happens is the DPF under your truck (diesel particulate filter) traps soot. So you don't have any black smoke. This soot in the DPF gets full after while. Sensors tell the PCM it is time for a cleaning of the DPF or regeneration.

This regeneration is what we call regen for short. The pcm is suppose to briefly tell you it is "cleaning the exhaust filter" but most of the time you will miss the message.

Downside of all of this is it is cleaned by a injection of fuel on the exhaust stroke. This injection of raw fuel is sent down the exhaust to the dpf where it is superheated and then burns off the soot.

Not know you are in regen is not necessarily harmful..but know you are then sometimes you can take steps to help. Such as canceling it because you are in heavy traffic or taking an alternate route to allow it complete.

Banks IQ you can display the status so you can track it.

People do the delete because soot is not harmful and it waste fuel doing this..does not make sense.

Plus the poorer mpgs during the regen as well.

I still have mine. My regens are fairly far apart so it does not bother. I don't drive in the city.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Gcapell
New User
Senix where on Banks IQ do I track my regens. I've looked everywhere for it and can't find it.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Banks Power | Banks iQ: Man-Machine Interface
Banks Power | Banks iQ: Man-Machine Interface

Second link is where you can find your dpf to make it one of the monitored items that displays.

I set my b trip once the regen is complete. That is how I how the intervals between mine.

Hope that helps some.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Laner
Junior User
Well, the CEL is back on again tonight. Left home and not more than 10 minutes and the light is back on. Is there a way to check the codes without a code reader or other device? I know some vehicles you can cycle the ignition and then the dash will display any codes. Is there something similar to check the codes?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Unfortunately a reader is required. The Autozone in my area will lend a code reader for free.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Laner
Junior User
Ok. Since all they did when I went to the dealer last time for this is cleared the code and supposedly performed an update that hadn't been done (they claim) and charged me $40. They should have done a more recent update (11B23) last March when I got the letter stating that I needed to take it to the dealer to have this update performed. I feel like they screwed my by not looking into this a little further. That was less than a month ago and the truck has been driven about 600 miles since then and now the light is back on.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I seem to recollect there was a TSB that fixed or tweaked some temperature sensor values, but that was a couple years ago. Maybe that's what they blindly assumed would fix it. Unfortunately, unless they can duplicate the conditions while you were driving and see exactly what the sensors are reporting, they won't necessarily know what exactly went on. However, I'd think if the engine and exhaust are hot, they should be able to see if there's something funny going on.

I guess there's no choice but to go back and have them fix at no charge since they didn't fix it the first time (??) Or, see if you can borrow a code reader before you go back and see what codes there are this time..

Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Laner
Junior User
Well, the dealer couldn't get me in until Monday afternoon and we were planning to pull the camper this weekend, so I called another dealer and they were able to get me in. The codes they pulled off this time were: P20E3 and P2084. They then performed the TSB 10-23-6, which relates to the exhaust gas temp sensors. They said warranty covered the repairs. We will see if the light stays off now.

It went thru regen towing the camper again Friday evening and completed just prior to pulling into our campgrounds. I have since driven the truck ~130 miles and went thru a short regen again. Friday morning all fluid levels were fine. The oil smells a bit more diesel than I had noticed in the past. It doesn't appear to be "making" oil.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Step in the right direction it sounds. Hopefully ok now.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Here's the TSB
10-23-6*** 6.4L ENGINE - LACKS POWER, MIL ON WITH DTCS P20E2, P20E3, P20E4, P2080, P2084, P242B, P0544, P2031, P242A, OR P200E

Looks like there's some issues with stuff getting into the connector so they just clean it,
grease it, and put some heat shrink tubing on it to keep it clean.

Hopefully, that fixes it, but the TSB doesn't say anything about testing the sensors' values; it just tells them to clean it if they see any of those codes.

From the codes listed earlier, it could be any one of 3 sensors. The real question is whether they actually verified if the sensor(s) connections were full of grunge or if they were actually out of spec.

...it's the Engineer in me

Quick Reply: CEL -what to do?