1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:27 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
You could have it dump right off the muffler but I'm not a fan. Being right after the muffler, exhaust gasses are still all mixed up and turbulent, having some pipe after lets them smooth out again and sound better.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:31 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Decisions, decisions, decisions.... my brain is near lock-up.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
I know the feeling...

Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't go locking your brain up.

Wouldn't a decent hanger prevent any kind of contact from occurring on the passenger side? I mean even though it is temporary everything still looks sanitary and not hacked together. I vote turn downs after the muffler, that's what I chose to run on mine.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:08 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by blue04.5
Don't go locking your brain up.

Wouldn't a decent hanger prevent any kind of contact from occurring on the passenger side? I mean even though it is temporary everything still looks sanitary and not hacked together. I vote turn downs after the muffler, that's what I chose to run on mine.

Hey blue... long time no hear!

The lap band clamps should be here tomorrow and I'm gonna leave it be for now and come back to it. The LBB still needs wiring up of the electric fuel pump, O2 sensor, cooling fans, headlight harnesses, 3g alternator, so it'll give me time to mull it over. Yeah, a decent hanger will prevent movement... it's just not as much clearance as I had hoped for.

I really appreciate all you guys' input on this. It makes me feel like I'm not as alone as I really am while working on the ol' girl. Salud!

Old 11-23-2014, 01:27 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
'Came in to watch a bit of football and have a cup of coffee...

The Edelbrock ECU provides two low-voltage ground signals at customizable temperatures for each fan speed (or individual fans) so I'm gonna try out this Volvo fan controller. Based on its wiring diagram, only one relay is engaged at any one time (high or low speed) which explains why it only has one power feed.

I merged the Volvo relay harness with the Lincoln Mark VIII plug, fabbed up some weather pack connectors for the fan signal wires, fabbed up an aluminum bracket, and ran the wires. Also ran the fuel pump harness, O2 sensor, alternator harness, and miscellaneous lil stuff.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:07 PM
abyars111
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like a clean install of the wiring.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by abyars111
That looks like a clean install of the wiring.
Yeah, I'm trying to be mindful about how systems are routed. Instead of taping off the ends of the sheathing which always unravel, I'm using small plastic clips that CarCraft magazine noted were used on 90s GM products... I grab them most every time at the salvage yard.

'got tired of looking at boxes of parts in my dining room so I went about assembling the grill, headlights, white turn signal lenses with amber bulbs, and stone shield (valance). I need to order some moulding clips and emblem barrels... there is still the issue with the hood emblems. I think I'm gonna get some 3M reflective yellow vinyl cuz they are faded.

'Installed the LMC headlight harness too. That dang thing BARELY reaches both headlights. Contrary to the pic used in their catalog, the sheathing is black and not yellow.. Thank goodness...I ran it in front of the core support. The middle section is tucked under the valance and then tangent at the radiator opening which has a conveniently located hole in each corner.. it made for a good place to zip-tie the harness and then angle up towards the headlights. The relays part of the harness goes through the core and will mount outboard of the Volvo fan controller. I'm debating with myself if it should have a bracket or simply nut-serted to the core.

All the battery hot feeds (EFI ECU, fan, fuel pump, and headlights) are left long and bundled on the battery tray. I still need to wire up the bumper-mounted driving lights so that's another feed to account for. Heck, I might spring for an Optima since it has side terminals.

Wiring is cerebral and a bit mundane but I'm glad about not being on my knees or back too much... and my fingernails are clean too boot! The guys at work usually comment on Monday mornings about my hands with ground-in grease and dirt. A manicurist would have her work cut out!

The LBB is looking more complete.. it should motivate me more since it looks like it runs. Not yet .. but very soon!

Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Claybone
New User
Good luck!! Just got my grandpa's '68 Custom Cab, short bed, on Saturday!! The trim is already off and sanding and rust repair has begun. Long road ahead though!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Yeah, I'm trying to be mindful about how systems are routed.
Just learning this myself.
Scratching the surface.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:41 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Glad to hear and see you're back on it Hio. "Cool as the other side of the pillow" as usual. Sometimes automotive paint stores sells clips and retainers. I think you'll have to go to DC for side moulding clips but you might get the barrels.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:01 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by turbohunter
Just learning this myself.
Scratching the surface.
Be methodical! ... with wiring sometimes the "i'll get to it later" bug bites and guess what... we never get back to it.

Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Glad to hear and see you're back on it Hio. "Cool as the other side of the pillow" as usual. Sometimes automotive paint stores sells clips and retainers. I think you'll have to go to DC for side moulding clips but you might get the barrels.
Me glad too! I've been on it but haven't had quality wrench time in a while. I am almost human again.

I'm just need the hood moulding clips.. $2 each from DC I recall... prolly get the barrels from 'em too.

No side mouldings to speak of on this rig nor the 71. Thank goodness.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:04 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
"Be methodical"
That's the only way I can do it.
I'm to stupid to go fast.

Really it's a whole new world for me.
Kinda fun.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:08 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
with wiring sometimes the "i'll get to it later" bug bites and guess what... we never get back to it.
I like my truck way to much to not fix stuff.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:04 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by turbohunter
That's the only way I can do it.
I'm to stupid to go fast.

Really it's a whole new world for me.
Kinda fun.
It can be fun... it's nice when ya have a multitude of gauge and color wires, terminals, accessories, and tools at the ready. Last year I put in like an $800 order so that'll keep the hobby going for a long while across three trucks.

Btw, in addition to Delcity.net, Waytek Inc. is another company which sells electrical supplies. Welcome to Waytek

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build