6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking for a good coolant filtration kit.... Help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:42 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking for a good coolant filtration kit.... Help please

After reading a ton of posts I have decided to break down and buy one of these kits. With so many on the market and all of them claiming to be "the best" I am looking for feedback from guys who have them and would recommend a good one so I don't end up buying junk.

Also, the last time I had work done on my pickup they put in the green antifreeze (about 20,000 miles ago). After reading in the forum I have decided to replace the green with the Cat ELC stuff. What kind of flush agent should I use to get all of the green crud out of there?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by berick
After reading a ton of posts I have decided to break down and buy one of these kits. With so many on the market and all of them claiming to be "the best" I am looking for feedback from guys who have them and would recommend a good one so I don't end up buying junk.
I've been running this on my truck for 70k miles without an issue.

http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-20076...waterpump.aspx

And I recommend the shut off valves for when you need to swap filters.

http://www.dieselsite.com/coolantfilterballvalves.aspx
Originally Posted by berick
What kind of flush agent should I use to get all of the green crud out of there?
You can just water flush (distilled water) it several times until what your draining comes out clear. Then refill it with the new coolant...you'll need 4 gallons of concentrate to get it mixed 50/50 on that last refill. Now you can use Restore to cooling system, but if your cooling system has been flushed recently...you could be alright with just the water flush.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton

http://www.dieselsite.com/coolantfilterballvalves.aspxYou can just water flush (distilled water) it several times until what your draining comes out clear. Then refill it with the new coolant...you'll need 4 gallons of concentrate to get it mixed 50/50 on that last refill. Now you can use Restore to cooling system, but if your cooling system has been flushed recently...you could be alright with just the water flush.
x2 to everything he said. I like my Dieselsite filter kit just fine as well,and the flush is not that bad either. If your ECT/EOT delta is good now I wouldn't use any chemicals when you flush (don't fix it if it ain't broke,we don't want to CREATE problems),just enough distilled water flushes to get ALL of the green out and go back with the right stuff. Good luck!!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton

http://www.dieselsite.com/coolantfilterballvalves.aspxYou can just water flush (distilled water) it several times until what your draining comes out clear. Then refill it with the new coolant...you'll need 4 gallons of concentrate to get it mixed 50/50 on that last refill. Now you can use Restore to cooling system, but if your cooling system has been flushed recently...you could be alright with just the water flush.
Flushing with water if fine if your stayin with the same coolant and there's not alot of trash in the old stuff. I think if your changing coolant type, a product like VC-9 (available at your local ford dealer and approved for our trucks) is a good idea.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 AM
pappy42
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the coolant filter rig from Performance Machine on my 6.0. Easy install for duffer (me), good quality fittings and hose that require no splicing of old factory hose.

Comes with cut off valves.

Performance Machine & MFG. 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Coolant Filtration System

Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
That Performance Machine kit has had issues with leaking and IIRC the owner of the company is a real Richard Cranium.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Excursion4X4
Posting Guru

Sinister Diesel has a nice one I installed.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
I also got the Sinister off Amazon...it seems to be working well.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
+1 on the Sinister. No prob with mine.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 AM
draboo
Senior User
I installed the Sinister kit last week. All the hoses heat up, so I m assuming it is working!

Waiting for 500 miles or so to change filters and see if it's catching any bad stuff.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
berick
Elder User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
That Performance Machine kit has had issues with leaking and IIRC the owner of the company is a real Richard Cranium.
A real Richard Cranium eh? lol.... Had a good laugh at that one!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM
berick
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Flushing with water if fine if your stayin with the same coolant and there's not alot of trash in the old stuff. I think if your changing coolant type, a product like VC-9 (available at your local ford dealer and approved for our trucks) is a good idea.
The coolant will be swapped out in this system..... the last mechanic who worked on the truck had used the regular ol' green diesel coolant so the Motorcraft Gold stuff was removed. I have been doing some reading and have decided to go with the Cat ELC stuff when I add the filtration kit. I just need to know if flushing with distilled water will be good enough or is there some sort of chemical agent I need to use to rid the system of the other coolant so I do not contaminate the new coolant with the old crappy stuff.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 AM
berick
Elder User
I did a little bit of research on the 2 filtration kits recommended in this thread and I kind of like the Performance Machine & Mfg kit for 2 reasons;

1) Price - It's less than the Sinister kit
2) Hoses - I like the fact there are less splices to make with less clamps.
3) Ball Valves - The valves on this kit are tapered which should allow for a better seal than the regular valves on the Sinister kit.

Someone made mention of it being prone to leaking but I am wondering if they maybe forgot to tighten the fittings and valves before installing. The literature I found for the kit says everything is shipped "loose" and tightening is left to the end users discretion.

Love to hear from a few more folks who have used the Performance Machine & Mfg kit.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM
maf226
Cross-Country
Caterpilar....can't spell it,but I can say it.

I had an 87 LNT8000, with a 3208 Turbo in it.I ordered ,(from Ford), on the truck, the coolant filter system.
Never had a problem,any Cat dealer, or Ford dealer has replacement filters,and easy to deal/work with.
Pretty sure you could go to Cat, or Ford, and buy a setup.NOT a complicated item,but very effective/well thought out.Has a shutoff,so it does not leak at change,and a steel filter,(spin on), about the size of a FL1A.
Hope that helps.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...coolant+filter

I wouldn't touch one of those.

I went with the Dieselsite filter on my truck.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good coolant filtration kit.... Help please