Sponsored by:

83 bronco

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 PM
animal2b
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 bronco

i've posted once here before and appreciated the feedback i got. i want an early 80s bronco. but i don't know a damn thing about trucks -- or cars for that matter. i was discouraged from buying an old bronco the first time i posted on here due to the maintenance required, but i figured i'd ask again.

here's the latest bronco i'm looking at:

Nice '83 Bronco. Eligible for Historic Tags. 302, Holley 4 Barrel, Headers, Dual Exhaust. C-6 Automatic Trans. Rear windows dark tinted.

Recent 33" Yokohama Tires. Recent alignment. 174,000 miles. Super clean truck, No Rust! Interior is very clean, seats are in excellent condition.

Engine will need replacement, runs fine, but leaks oil, believe it is excess blow by. THIS COMES WITH A REBUILT LOW MILEAGE 302. Have not installed, but comes with the truck. You could drive the truck as is with a breather and reservoir, but the right thing to do is to replace the engine.

the asking price is $4,000 and the truck has 174,000 miles on it.

the seller says minus more frequent maintenance check ups, the car should be fine and runs well. but am i walking into a trap here? not to say the seller is dishonest, but am i not adequately prepared for the work that comes with an old truck?

assuming i've got a trusty mechanic (i do, one of the best in DC), should i be in good hands with this 83 bronco?

are there any questions i should ask the seller that haven't occurred to me?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 371 Likes on 281 Posts
I'd be cautious as he does state the motor will need replacing. You never pay what they offer at first. If you really want it then make him an offer. Honestly I'd prolly offer 3 grand becasue it does come with another motor, even if you don't use it you could sell to get back some money for a rebuild. Also, ask your mechainc how much it would cost to rebuild/replace the motor. Then you'll have a better understanding of how much you are looking at to get the truck running properly.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
animal2b
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Edgethis
I'd be cautious as he does state the motor will need replacing. You never pay what they offer at first. If you really want it then make him an offer. Honestly I'd prolly offer 3 grand becasue it does come with another motor, even if you don't use it you could sell to get back some money for a rebuild. Also, ask your mechainc how much it would cost to rebuild/replace the motor. Then you'll have a better understanding of how much you are looking at to get the truck running properly.
i called a mechanic today who offered the same advice. he said he was weary that the rebuilt 302 wasn't in the car and told me to stay the hell away from the car, especially at the 4,000 dollar price, because he could get into the car and find out that the rebuilt engine is shoddy, etc.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Why don't you go up a few years? for $3500 you can find a perfectly working 92-96 Bronco that's some 10 years newer and will probably have fewer issues down the road.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
animal2b
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Encho
Why don't you go up a few years? for $3500 you can find a perfectly working 92-96 Bronco that's some 10 years newer and will probably have fewer issues down the road.
don't like them. i like the look of the early 80s broncos the best.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Are you saying my truck isn't pretty?...

Nah, just joking, it's your money and your choice, but you would have fewer issues picking a newer truck. Good luck with your hunt!.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Keep looking, there are a few early 80s around that are in drivable condition.

You have to wait for the right one.

Waiting for the right Bronco will make the Bronco ownership experience

Worth while. I would hate for you to have a bad experience and lose the

Experience we have as FSB owners.

My local Craigslist always has early 80s FSBs for sale, keep checking your local

CL for trucks.

Find a truck that is drivable - "for the mean time" - until Bronco fever hits.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:22 PM
animal2b
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Encho
Are you saying my truck isn't pretty?...

Nah, just joking, it's your money and your choice, but you would have fewer issues picking a newer truck. Good luck with your hunt!.
haha -- i like the 90s broncos, but they look too new, you know what i mean? i like the older look of the grill and headlights. everything else about the bronco pretty much looks the same.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:28 PM
animal2b
Freshman User
Originally Posted by khadma
Keep looking, there are a few early 80s around that are in drivable condition.

You have to wait for the right one.

Waiting for the right Bronco will make the Bronco ownership experience

Worth while. I would hate for you to have a bad experience and lose the

Experience we have as FSB owners.

My local Craigslist always has early 80s FSBs for sale, keep checking your local

CL for trucks.

Find a truck that is drivable - "for the mean time" - until Bronco fever hits.
this guy says the car is drivable and in good condition -- i also just emailed him, he said he'll put in the 302 IF i buy it. he told me the brakes are in okay condition, but they might need to be replaced within a year or two. also said the A/C is broken, but I never use a/c or heat, so i'm not worried about getting that fixed right away.

he said the transmission seems to be okay and the rear differential doesn't make any sounds, so he's not worried about it. he doesn't want to sell the car, but he has to given some circumstances.

is 4k still too much, even if he installs the engine? i spoke to a mechanic today who told me he'd charge 1500-2000 dollars just to install the engine. so perhaps i'm getting a good deal w/ this '83 bronco?

i might offer 3k and see what he says ... or do you think 3k is insulting the seller?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
No, 3k is a good price. Throw it in there and see if he's interested in making the sale.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
batchman
Mountain Pass
I bought my 84 (the same truck except for the rear end gearset) new with a 2-barrel 302 and a 3.55 gear, moved the truck OK and even got near 18mpg but carb vs fuel injection is a *big* maintenance difference. If you're not doing any work yourself and the seller sounds capable I'd talk with him and/or your mechanic into converting the truck to fuel injected and with that in place I'd call a $4k total worthwhile. With a 4 barrel carb I would expect 15mpg would be a really good day - converting to fuel injected will pay for itself on gas $ and especially on your overall experience on how often you need to pay attention beyond oil and filter changes.

With a genuine no-rust body it is a platform worth building. I re-did my sheetmetal once and would have done it again if I weren't trying to tow an enclosed trailer long distance. The mileage doesn't scare me a bit as long as it shows signs of having been kept up.

Good luck,
- Jeff

Old 04-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 371 Likes on 281 Posts
Well these old carbed motors are super easy to pull and swap so 1500-2000 is ridiculous. Also a good 4 bbl carb will get better gas mileage then a 2 bbl. I would be a bit cautious on having him "install" the motor for you. How would you know if he did or not? Honestly about 3k is a good price if it runs good. Heck im looking at selling my 95 and im only looking to ask for 5k and it runs like a champ in the end tho it really comes down to wether that truck is what YOU want for a price you feel comfortable with.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM
batchman
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by animal2b
assuming i've got a trusty mechanic (i do, one of the best in DC)
Originally Posted by animal2b
i spoke to a mechanic today who told me he'd charge 1500-2000 dollars just to install the engine
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Well these old carbed motors are super easy to pull and swap so 1500-2000 is ridiculous.
I didn't put that together earlier but Edge is right. If your Trusty Mechanic wants $1500, it's beyond ridiculous unless you're having him verify or freshen the new engine too.

Good luck,
- Jeff

Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 PM
citizen318
2nd Gear
I just picked up an 83 with a 302 at an auction for 750$, and I've been teaching myself to work on it using a Haynes manual and the forums, which is why I finally signed up. Its fairly simple to work on and great to learn on, as for price, what state are you in?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 PM
citizen318
2nd Gear
And how hard would the conversion to fuel injected be?

Quick Reply: 83 bronco