Unlocking door from outside?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Old Iron 68X
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unlocking door from outside?

Have an old truck, windows rolled up, no interior door handles, ouside handles locked. Does anyone know how I can get these doors open without breaking the glass? Perhaps there is a way to disassemble the outside door handle assembly? Or, will I need to remove the pins from the hinge assemblies and remove the doors? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to FTE, hopefully you will get the help you need with your door issue.

Taking the outer door handle off won't be of much help, there is no way to unlock the door with it off. Probably the best way to do it without damaging the truck much is to drive out the door hinge pins like you mentioned. Then the door can be removed and the doors locked from inside. Hopefully this will help you with the issue. If anybody else has another method they will be along shortly, I am sure.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:03 PM
41phord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully the door was locked from the outside. You can try popping the lock cylinder with a slide hammer. Then use a screw driver to turn the lock mechanism. If the door was locked from the inside then closed then the above will not work. You can try removing the rear window. You might have to replace the window gasket. Since there are no handles you'll have to send in a small person with a pair of pliers. I got mine opened through the back window by using a hooked rod. Was able to pull the handle. The window is too small for me to go through but someone smaller could make it.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
geomechs
Senior User
The hinge pins aren't usually all that hard to get out of there. I had a similar problem with my parts truck and was able to remove the doors without distorting anything. Just take your time and use plenty of weasel pee.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Old Iron 68X
Freshman User
Thanks for the tips- I'll probably try removing the hinge pins.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Weasel pee?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weasel pee?
that's a new one by me

Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Popping the door lock (keyhole) is probably best option, You may fight a long time getting out door pins. You usually can't lock the door from inside with the handle and close it. It locks the mechanism, and won't allow the door to close. The lockset has a metal blade on its backside which rotates the door mechanism so it can't move (in or out). Rather than damage the whole deal, drill out the center of the lock (about 1/2" deep) and you should be able to rotate the cylinder. Note that a setscrew from the inside edge of the door holds the lock in place. The bracket for the setscrew is welded in the door and you can't reach it to fix it. So don't get too agressive with the lockset.

PS. The lockset in the pict. is universal for old Fords and the blade (square bar) needs cut down to length and beveled to fit.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Old Iron 68X
Freshman User
Thanks for the info and photos, John. As for whether it was locked before being closed, here's the deal.
Some kids had thrown a rock or something through the driver's window and cracked it. My brother and I opened the doors, made sure the windows still rolled up and down, then each closed our door. We both realized that the doors might be locked checked it , and sure enough each door is now locked. We haven't had the keys to the door locks for about 30 years, so I'll probably try removing the lock on one door, and removing the hinge pins on the other, and hope one method works.
Thanks for the help!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 AM
41inWV
Senior User

With a cracked drivers door, sounds like there is your answer.....that is just flat glass. So for me, I think I'd go in that way and replace the glass. I don't think Ford framed the side window glass until about '47, so replacement glass is cheaper than possible sheetmetal damage potential from pounding out hinge pins.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:50 AM
46fordtruck
The door glass was metal framed starting in '42, one of the features Ford said made the cab more "truck like". But I agree, if you have a broken glass already, just break the glass and you'll have instant access. Cover the glass with a towel, wear eye protection and a hammer and swing. Just remember, its not tempered glass, you will end up with sharp glass shards.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:39 PM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Duct tape will help with the shards. Cover the entire window with it and then get swinging.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Old Iron 68X
Freshman User
Can anyone tell me, does the frame come off so that a glass shop can cut a new piece, or does someone sell a new frame they can install over a new piece of glass? If saving the old one is necessary, can it be removed and maybe tig welded back closed? Haven't had to actually replace a side window yet and have wondered what the best way is to do it. Any ideas?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 PM
46fordtruck
There is a tiny little screw and tube nut at the bottom corner of the frame, undo that, then with a block of of wood and rubber mallet, use the block and pound the frame off. Might be hard to remove, the glass setting tape used will hold tough, but it will come off. A glass shop can cut new glass and replace it for you.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:28 PM
geomechs
Senior User
Weasel pee: penetrating oil; NutKracker; WD40. I heard it for the first time from an old gearhead in Cutbank, MT. about 40 years ago and it's stuck with me since.

Quick Reply: Unlocking door from outside?