Sponsored by:

What front springs? added 400+ lbs to front Winch/Bumber

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
heimyguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What front springs? added 400+ lbs to front Winch/Bumber

have a 2004 ,4x4 ,140k and the front sprigs were already negative curve, tired. i added a warn heay duty bumper (400lb) and 16.5ti winch (100lb) and believe i removed about 95 lbs of old bumper. i have 285/75 r16's on and the front is down 2" from the rear, the rear has air bags but at 5 psi at this point. dont want to change the rear springs (factory height) just need to put the right springs on the front to compensate for the extra weight and get the ride level, was looking at v's (2c3z5310ha from 2003 f350 4x4) but want to do this once and heard some talk about x's. can anyone give me some insight on this process whats to stiff and whats to soft, i dont tow that much and if i do its light. mainly want a vehicle that can take me where i need to go. looked at some snow plow talk but i am not sure if thats overkill. want it t0 handle good on long freeway drives and in mountain passes.
thanks matt

Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM
WE3ZS
Received 848 Likes on 586 Posts
The amount of weight you have added to your frontend is pretty close to what a snowplow would add, so the X codes that were specced for the Super Duty with snowplow prep would be a good choice. The extra weight you have will soak up some if not all of the lift folks have seen from swapping in a set of X's and the truck will handle better just due to the fact that it's not bottoming out on every bump in the road.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
heimyguy
New User
now would that add any lift to the front with the x code with the stock rear...not looking for any lift just leveled with the new weight...also the x codes what truck should i get the part number off, would a 2003 superduty f350 4x4 part number match up ? i believe thats the crossover right. v's would be to soft? are the v and x coes the same arc just stiffer metal? or are they longer and stiffer, also other than the new u bolts (which i assume should come from the vehicle im ordering the x or v code springs from)is there any thing else i should replace or need to? i hear some guys cut the rear bolt to get it apart because of the driveshaft clearance whats your take, i will probably cut the old u bolts....

Old 04-06-2012, 01:41 PM
heimyguy
New User
i was hoping to keep it's ride decent but worry the x code will make it a really stiff ride?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:48 PM
WE3ZS
I modded my X codes by adding the top overload leaf from my rear B codes so my rig does have a firm ride, like a truck........Oh yeah, it is a truck! I got 3+" of lift on mine but i have the extra leaf and i don't have any extra weight up front like yours does, so I can't really say if you will see much lift or not.
I just dropped my front driveshaft to get that rear spring eye bolt out, I'm lucky as my truck isn't rusty at all and everything came apart with limited drama. I did put that bolt in from the other side so it can come out easier if needed.
My X codes came off an '03 F-250 with plow prep package, they are the same from either a 250 or 350. The springs are the same length and thickness as your stockers so stock EX U-bolts will work fine. When I did my swap I just replaced the springs, U-bolts and rear blocks. I threw on some shocks (Ranchos from the FX-4 donor truck) just because I had em and I was under the truck. If you are getting new U-bolts, as recommended, then cutting off the old ones shouldn't be an issue and may save a minute or two.

Oh, bye the way....Welcome to the forums!

Last edited by WE3ZS; 04-06-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Forgot my manners.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM
heimyguy
New User
the specs say the load difference between u code and v code are 400lbs and the difference between u and x code is 1200 lbs i worry that only adding about 500lbs im going way over with the x code ? any thoughts... also anybody ever hear of w code looks like 800lb difference?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:41 PM
heimyguy
New User
checked on the w code springs and they say they are for 2wd front monoaxle trucks...if anyone has seen a pair most people only refer to v or x codes i assume they dont fit or somethings bad with them because of the lack of mention. boils down to which is better going X code, rated at over double the added weight and maybe getting higher frontend than the rear and much stiffer ride or going V code and being about 100 lbs over the added capacity of the springs and mybe sitting level .....and closer to the rated load to handle a bit better? whats the best of two evils?

Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
First thing, what engine do you have in your Ex? Have you done any maintenance or upgrades to your front suspension?

Originally Posted by heimyguy
can anyone give me some insight on this process whats to stiff and whats to soft
Too stiff and too soft is totally subjective.

The V's and Bilsteins I put on the front of my Ex ride fine for me, but you might think they're too soft...or even too stiff.

i worry that only adding about 500lbs im going way over with the x code ? any thoughts
Nope. People have done X codes without the added extra weight you've added and been happy.

... also anybody ever hear of w code?
Yes. I've referred to W codes many, many times over the years.

checked on the w code springs and they say they are for 2wd front monoaxle trucks...
Who is "they?"

Stewart

Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 AM
heimyguy
New User
your correct, I should be more clear and include more details. here goes

I own a 2003 4x4 V10 eddie bauer edition Excursion with 149000 miles,it came with standard spring setup for excursion( U&A codes) but has rear air bags. just bought it two months ago and have replaced all fluids, steering dampner, tires with 285/75r16 michelin ltx at2, brakes redone, and replaced shocks with temporary monroe matic plus but will probably replace when im done with suspension with ranchos unless someone tells me something better. I have added a Warn heavy duty bumper that weighs 400lbs plus a 16.5ti warn winch at 140lbs. i assume ive added about 450-500lbs to front over stock. with the rear air bags at 5 psi and the front springs tired and sagging the front is sitting 2" low, dives bad when turning negative curve on front springs.

my basic question is which front springs should i go with that will keep my vehicle sitting fairly flat, im not looking for any real lift just added support for the weight ive added. i would prefer not to redo rear at this time but assume the rear air bags will help finess a level ride. i dont tow that often and mosty drive freeway/highway but take it off road just to get to locations not "off roading"

my choices are : included are my concerns

U code: 4,800 to soft out of the question

V code: 5,200 Most popular from what ive read on boards. just under what ive added in weight, people say it adds 1.5" to 2" lift but with my weight possibly level, sounds like a possible fit, smoother(softer) ride on highway,but will it still dive in turning maybe.
(part # 2C3Z5310HA)

W code: 5,600 seen it mentioned in stats and a little in other forums but not that much in excursion forum, the parts are sold as 2 wheel drive front leave springs at the dealership for monoaxle trucks f250, not sure how this relates to fitting on my excursion, the wieght seams like a mid range fit for the weight ive added, thus maybe a better highway ride, but not enough excursion info on hand to judge it,
(Part # 2C3Z5310AJ)

X Code: 6000lb double the weight ive added to my truck front end, adds maybe 3"+ standard ride heigh to front, used for trucks that are going to use snow plow. in my research plows range from 350 to 800+ lbs. my worry is this is going to ride like a tank on the freeway and stiff. dont want the front end of my truck sitting higher than the back and cant find any info of stats for anybody with about my weight on front lift gained by adding them.
(Part # 2C3z5310AF)

iI am buying them new, and doing steering nuckle,tierods at same time, would like to put the right spring on with the right shock combo the first time and alighn and be done. ( and happy with the ride) ok with firm ride just dont want my teeth to shake out at potholes, thanks

Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
ok with firm ride just dont want my teeth to shake out at potholes, thanks
In my opinion then, based on that last sentence I quoted above, I think you'll be happy with the X codes.

Since you have air bags, you could always run a touch more PSI in them to raise the rear-end to be level if the X codes were to make the front slightly higher, which they might, depending on how tired your rear springs are. Your X codes will also settle a bit over time.

You could also just add the 3.5" tapered rear blocks.

The supposed W codes the dealership referenced are coil springs, if the ones they told you about are indeed for a two-wheel drive rig, so they aren't the W code leaf springs we refer to when we talk about them here on the forum.

Stewart

Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 PM
heimyguy
New User
the ones they quoted are leaves the number is the same just different last 2 letter denoting load...according to the guys at tousley ford but they may have mispoken about 2wd.. but im leaning to x's, they also said that i need to order ubolts that match the springs not the excursion originals..because the springs are different thicknesses.but that contradicts what ive read online. whats you experience with the x's same spring different steel or thicker leaves different ubolts....? thanks for your help

Old 04-07-2012, 03:51 PM
WE3ZS
I think the stock springs and X codes are the same thickness. This is the only pic I have of my stock spring next to my modded X code, remember that the X code has the extra leaf added to it, take that thinner leaf off and they look the same thickness.
As a matter of fact when I first installed my modded X codes with that extra leaf I reused my original U-bolts and they were long enough to work. The only issue was on two of the nuts the U-bolt didn't make it all the way through the nut, was just about one thread shy. I reused the U-bolts temporarily because I wasn't sure if I wanted to also add a little leveling mini pack to the fronts and didn't want to torque my new bolts twice.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
It seems you are interested in just going with springs, which if yours are worn out it might be best to just replace.

I did want to mention though that we do offer front air bag kits for the excursion. The kit we make is 57154. Just throwing it out there as another option for you in case you weren't already aware. If you are interested in have any questions, just let me know and I would be happy to help.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
the ones they quoted are leaves.....according to the guys at tousley ford but they may have mispoken about 2wd..
Ah, ok. I trust Steve at Tousley Ford. Good guy and good Supporting Vendor here at FTE. However, just FYI, two-wheel drive Excursions have coil springs up front, so you either didn't hear them correctly, or they misspoke.

The U, V, W, X codes springs are leaf springs and are used on the 4x4 rigs. Two-wheel drive rigs get coils.

Stewart