Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Poly Cab Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Poly Cab Bushings

Anybody have any luck with these? I've been told that they'd be harsher because they're harder than the OEM bushings. I've actually installed a few sets myself on a few 90's Fords and I was impressed with them. I can't really say I could tell a difference because the trucks were riding on the frame rails before I put bushings in them. Only reason I put the poly bushings in these trucks was because the $70 vs. $250 kinda made it an easy pick.

The bushings on my '99 are shot... the cab has settled pretty good and I've got a knocking under my floor. It's not when I hit big bumps, it can be very rapid as the road vibrates the truck. I've gone through everything under the truck and it's all tight so I know it's the cab bushings. Anybody ever used the poly bushings on these trucks?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanN
Anybody have any luck with these? I've been told that they'd be harsher because they're harder than the OEM bushings. I've actually installed a few sets myself on a few 90's Fords and I was impressed with them. I can't really say I could tell a difference because the trucks were riding on the frame rails before I put bushings in them. Only reason I put the poly bushings in these trucks was because the $70 vs. $250 kinda made it an easy pick.

The bushings on my '99 are shot... the cab has settled pretty good and I've got a knocking under my floor. It's not when I hit big bumps, it can be very rapid as the road vibrates the truck. I've gone through everything under the truck and it's all tight so I know it's the cab bushings. Anybody ever used the poly bushings on these trucks?
Usually mocking or hammering is swaybar.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Yeah, I figured that would be it but I checked it and there's NO room for it to even come close, especially with the end links being new with bushings. If you saw my truck, you'd see it's settled pretty good...

Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Have you lubed your grease fittings? that took care of most of my clunks.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Only things I have grease fittings on are my steering parts... but I did grease them.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am kinda in the same boat Jon is in.I have replaced and tightened all steering items and bushings but still have the pops and snaps.
I have never seen a write up on changing cab bushings on here.
I am sure it is not a job that gets done very often.
Anybody have one?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
It's not a bad job, even on a northern truck... just a little time-consuming.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts
The noise I'm hearing, and it's only during really warm weather, is coming from the passenger front and sounds like a bolt slipping through a piece of metal with the threads sort of grating across the edge of the bolt opening... sort of a chattery kind of sound, and it doesn't last long at all as if it's only running across about 3-6 threads on a bolt. This only happens on acceleration, and generally only while accelerating in a turn.

My first thought was that the right front shock bolt nut had come loose on top of the shock, but that doesn't appear to be the case with the minor nosing around I've done.

Does this sound like the noise you hear associated with cab bushings, Jonathan?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to hear from someone who has replaced these. I read somewhere that there are body bushings that are fluid filled, and dampen sound and vibration really well. it might have been on a new truck like Dodge, i don't remember. would be cool for us if there was an after market product like that. anyone ever hear of one?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts
That type of design typically works really well for the discs in our spines, so it should be a good concept for the cabs of our trucks as well!!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Haha! Pete, that's not quite how I'd describe it... just kinda sounds like a hammer bouncing under my floor boards. It's on both sides of the truck right under my feet. I hear it and feel it both sides. With everything else being tight, I don't know what else that leaves? The fact I can feel it as well as the vibrations from the road coming and going leads me to believe it's something that's touching, then not touching... i.e. cab bushings.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM
creich68
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanN
Haha! Pete, that's not quite how I'd describe it... just kinda sounds like a hammer bouncing under my floor boards. It's on both sides of the truck right under my feet. I hear it and feel it both sides. With everything else being tight, I don't know what else that leaves? The fact I can feel it as well as the vibrations from the road coming and going leads me to believe it's something that's touching, then not touching... i.e. cab bushings.
I know this might sound silly, but take one of the shocks off up front and take it for a short drive over some bumps. Repeat with the other shock off as well. I had a couple shocks that had something break internally causing a knocking or thunking sound underneath my feet just like a worn out end link would make. Turned out to be my shock each time. This has happened to me three times in a row. Bought the Gabriel Ultra shocks cause Autozone had a good deal at the time, but will eventually swap them out for a more durable shock. The worst part is I don't drive off of pavement except for the occasional gravel driveway.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:58 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think that sounds silly, infact its a good idea! I just bought urathane bushings for my sway bar, didn't install them yet, never thought of the shock internally. sure i grab them and see if there tight, but i'll be pi$$ed if its the shock. oh well, i can just tell myself that i'd need bushings sooner or later.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
I'll try it!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought I read a post about leaf spring noise, Im not sure but I think these leafsprings have some type of plastic insulator between leaves or some of the leaves. just a thought.

Quick Reply: Poly Cab Bushings